Mesh networking

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Mesh networking

#1 Post by Flash »

How to Keep the NSA Out of Your Computer
....Scores of communities worldwide have been building these roll-your-own networks—often because a mesh can also be used as a cheap way to access the regular internet. But along the way people are discovering an intriguing upside: Their new digital spaces are autonomous and relatively safe from outside meddling. In an era when governments and corporations are increasingly tracking our online movements, the user-controlled networks are emerging as an almost subversive concept.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

We need MESH wifi setup for puppylinux. Portus has it

qkall

#3 Post by qkall »

a super cheap way to get this done is getting a zipit z2 and flashing openwrt (specifically node2z) - they have b.a.t.m.a.n. built in for a cheap 20 bucks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Qkall, who's "they?" How about some links to somewhere that explains what you said? It makes no sense as it stands, just a bunch of cryptic names and acronyms. :?

qkall

#5 Post by qkall »

gcmartin

Mesh to a mesh proxy

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Flash for this thread. It brings to lights the kinds of things we can do in our community to increase internet coverages, as one benefit, while also adding a level of security. This does NOT necessitate a change in Puppy distro, but does requires router changes and community adoption for it to work. With the power of some Wireless signals the mesh could be brought up.

That works similar to what some of the world's Proxies do to hide your traffic. Just that in a community, its on a smaller scale.

Think of how a mesh community looks when it also routes its traffic thru a Proxy that hides traffic. Tracking and trying to ride someone route or packets becoming almost impossible for peering eyes to sort.

Thanks

chapchap70

#7 Post by chapchap70 »

Is there still interest in this? The last post was over a year ago.

I believe I asked if anyone had an opinion about this company somewhere but I don't remember getting a response. This stuff is over my head but sounds intriguing.

http://roaming-initiative.com/