How can I minimize windows in FVWM? (Solved, sorta)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Walt H

How can I minimize windows in FVWM? (Solved, sorta)

#1 Post by Walt H »

Is there a way to configure FVWM so that it behaves a bit more like IceWM (and saves me from having to download another WM)?

Specifically, I'm thinking of the behavior in IceWM that allows the user to minimize or maximize an open application from the toolbar by simply clicking on the tab/icon/dialogue box (not sure what to call it). FVWM only seems to allow the user to maximinze an application minimized to the toolbar with a mouse click, not the reverse. (For that, you have to right-click and select Minimize.)

I looked in the forum (not the old one, though, he suddenly remembers :oops: ), and I took a look at the FVWM website, but couldn't find what I was looking for. It may be there, but I didn't recognize it. Thanks.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Walt - there is a lot you can do with fvwm95 and of course there are limits.

I think F9 minumizes the windows. I suggest starting by reading the Puppy's help system. There is a lot of documentation on fvwm95.

Maybe make a shortcut on the desktop to /root/.fvwm95 and have a text editor set up to make backups. You can edit the file and refresh fvwm95 to see how you like the changes.

As for me, well I'm sort of stuck on icewm.

Walt H

#3 Post by Walt H »

I'm a long time IceWM user, hence the desire to make FVWM behave more like IceWM, at least for the time being. I don't have Puppy installed to the hard drive (waiting until I get a new computer), so I wasn't sure about downloading additional applications yet. (If I did, where would I put them so Puppy can call them yet not have them erased every time I shut down?)

I'll take a look in Puppy's help section. I keep forgetting that this is a mini-distribution with actual documentation included! :) By the way, does anyone know if this behavior is configurable in JWM? (Haven't tried it yet, but the screenshots on the developer's website look nice. Thanks.
Walt

I figured it out by accident

#4 Post by Guest »

FVWM does have the same capability as IceWM to raise or lower a window with a mouse click from the toolbar. The difference is that it uses the middle button on a three-button mouse. (I guess it would use the scroll wheel on a mouse with such capability or pushing both buttons together on a two-button mouse set up to emulate a three-button mouse.)

I discovered this by acciden while looking at a FVWM configuration file on http://xwinman.org/fvwm95.php. It did not specifically mention this behavior, but it did assign specific functions to each button. I had tried the left button (which is what has always worked for me in IceWM but only maximized in FVWM) and the right button, which brings up a menu with options to Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize, Kill, or Close. But I had never tried the middle button.

Lo and behold! It maximizes the application when it is minimized and minimizes the application when it is maximized. Exactly the behavior I was looking for and FVWM had it all along! I guess an old dog can learn new tricks from a young puppy :)

Walt H

#5 Post by Walt H »

By the way, the last post was from me. Somehow, I was logged out without realizing :oops: Gotta pay more attention.
Walt

Rich

#6 Post by Rich »

Walt H wrote: I don't have Puppy installed to the hard drive (waiting until I get a new computer), so I wasn't sure about downloading additional applications yet. (If I did, where would I put them so Puppy can call them yet not have them erased every time I shut down?)
the pup001 file stores things like this.

I'm just using the live CD, but all the embellishments/addons etc are stored in the PUP001 'partition' file. As this file is written onto the hard disk, then all the addons are too.