Virtualbox Puppy 5.7.1 hangs

Please post any bugs you have found
npierce

#16 Post by npierce »

algol68 ,

Thanks. Your observation that this issue is somehow related to specific physical CPUs is consistent with what 01micko found when he and others looked further into this. If interested, see the following thread:

Recent pups not booting in VBox as guests

Thanks for verifying that this problem still occurs with "the latest VB 4.3.6". And thanks for trying to make progress with the folks at VirtualBox.

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

npierce wrote:algol68 ,

Thanks. Your observation that this issue is somehow related to specific physical CPUs is consistent with what 01micko found when he and others looked further into this. If interested, see the following thread:

Recent pups not booting in VBox as guests

Thanks for verifying that this problem still occurs with "the latest VB 4.3.6". And thanks for trying to make progress with the folks at VirtualBox.
I lodged a ticket on woof-CE about this, really could not pinpoint the cause which leads me to believe it may be a vbox problem (of course that could be wrong). I am going to try a new puppy on my intel box (no vmx cpu flag) with an older vbox to see if this is the case.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

npierce

#18 Post by npierce »

01micko wrote:. . . which leads me to believe it may be a vbox problem . . .

Agreed.

In my September experiments, which showed that under certain conditions, a simple shell script called from another simple shell script would never return when run in VirtualBox on my PC, I saw nothing to indicate that this is a Puppy problem.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=724426#724426]On 2013-Sep-07[/url] npierce wrote:Anyway, if a machine running a Linux kernel that is known to be good is running a script which calls another script which is known to be good, and that script never returns, I think it is safe to say that the problem is likely to be in the machine, be it physical or virtual.

algol68

#19 Post by algol68 »

UPDATE...

Precise Puppy 5.7 Retro & Precise Puppy 5.7 are now working for me on a Core2Duo T7700 (HP 6910p running Win 7 Professional 64 bit).

It would seem to be a combination of:

1) Install VirtualBox 4.3.6 r91406
2) Enable Virtualisation. Select Settings>System>Acceleration
select the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" option

I hope this works for anyone else that had all but given up on Precise 5.6 & later variants in VB. Enjoy...

algol68

#20 Post by algol68 »

postscript...

I will try VB 4.3.6 on some of the other pcs (P4, XEON, etc) that previously had problems & report back...

My guess is that the VB peeps have quietly fixed something.

Happy New Year to one & all.

algol68

#21 Post by algol68 »

I have tried Precise Puppy 5.7.1 on three further configurations, all failed to boot & were stuck just before the 'depmod' message should have been displayed.

NB The single core allocated to the VM was maxed out at 100% until the VM was closed:

The 3 configurations were:

1) HP XW6200 (Dual XEON 3.2GHz HT enabled, NO VT-x, 4GB ram),
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, VB 4.3.6

2) HP XW6400 (Single XEON 2GHz Quad core, VT-x, 6GB ram),
Win 7 Enterprise 64 bit, VB 4.3.6

3) HP XW6400 (Single XEON 2GHz Quad core, VT-x, 6GB ram),
Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit, VB 2.10

[Note each configuration had all the latest OS updates applied.]

This disproves my previous assertion that a system having VT-x enabled with the latest VB 4.3.6 makes the difference. It patently does not & would still seem to be highly dependent upon the actual processor in each configuration.

puppyusera

#22 Post by puppyusera »

I have this problem as well. I have this working in my laptop with virtualization support enabled and check on enable vt for direct i/o (rebooted twice). I would like this working on my desktop however using the same ubuntu 12.04 64bit virtualbox but no bios for virtualization support.

shadower_sc

Virtualization Flag

#23 Post by shadower_sc »

Puppy 5.7.1 does not boot for me and I do not have the virtualization flag enabled. It very well could be CPU specific, but my curiosity is why just Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux is the only Linux Distribution I have run into with this problem. The newest releases of Debian, Ubuntu, TinyCore, and Lubuntu have no problems booting. Were the most recent versions of Puppy Linux built with some kind of optimization for virtualization?