1st time Puppy user - Pros and Cons from a noob

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Can I copy them directly to another USB drive"
I'm no expert, but...
I don't think you can simply copy the files from one USB Flash Drive to another, because the bootloader is also needed.
Here's a good way that I used successfully to make [yet another] bootable Puppy Flash Drive.
How To Do A USB Install Of Puppy Linux
Using this method....
You could partition and format [etc] as many Flash Drives as you like...
Copy all of the files from inside the ISO file, to each Flash Drive partition...
[Or from a suitable other Flash Drive I guess]
Then run "Grub4Dos bootloader config" [to install Grub4Dos] on each Flash Drive.
Once you've made a pupsave on any 1 Flash Drive, you could copy it to all of the other Flash Drives.
Either have identical, or [slightly?] different pupsave files on each Flash Drive.
That's it for as many Flash Drives as you like methinks. :D

2. "can I change the username in the 2fs directly in the file?"
Huh?! :?
Could you explain what you mean?
What is this username?

dult

#17 Post by dult »

@ 1st

Nevermind, windows user logic :roll:

@ 2nd

precisesave_crypta-microDuLt.2fs
microDuLt being the "username"

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

1. "precisesave_crypta-microDuLt.2fs
microDuLt being the "username"
"
OK, understood.
So long as the filename includes precisesave_something.2fs...
The Pricise Puppy will recognise it and use it.
The something part can be almost anything [there may be a limit to the number of characters].
Not sure, but a hyphen may not be permitted, so you may need to use an underscore instead.

sunburnt

#19 Post by sunburnt »

Using "dd" you can make an image of the boot sector ( loader ) and the Puppy files partition.
The image size is the USB drive`s partition with the Puppy files on it + the boot sector.
So a blank USB drive is needed to copy the image to ( or the existing partition is destroyed ).
The new partition will be the same size as the image, no partitioning or formatting is needed.

# This would be good for cloning a bunch of same-size USB drives with a working O.S.

Somewhere on this forum there`s instructions for doing this, the forum search is worthless.

dult

#20 Post by dult »

After my post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88726 about some possibilities to widerspread puppy... It got me thinking:

Could I put a folder in the root of the USB with a portable windows Virtual Machine alonside puppy linux.
Then, I could boot puppy in other peoples pc without even having to reboot their pc. It would be awesome!
Though would this folder screw up Puppy's boot?