RtfEdit

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
webmayo

RtfEdit

#1 Post by webmayo »

RtfEdit run well on Puppy. It's a simple rtf editor with an intuitive interface.
Saves files as RTF, TXT, HTML or PDF
Very light weight. Run without installation. Only requires X11.
And its free.

Download from FreewareFile
http://www.freewarefiles.com/RTF-Editor ... 90495.html

Home Page.
http://genscriber.com/genapps/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=222

charlie6

#2 Post by charlie6 »

Hi webmayo,

i got a try on it (RtfEditor-1.3 X11 version GLIBC-2.13) ...runs OOTB on Pemasu's Wheezy; as also the ubuntu-13.04 version (RtfEditor-1.32 - GLIBC-2.15) on Raring-3.9.9.2.

Both versions look great, as also very owesome to use.

Thanks a lot
Charlie

6502coder

#3 Post by 6502coder »

I couldn't get TED http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80402 to work on Slacko 5.6, so I thought I'd give this one a try instead. I like what I see so far. I'm using the vanilla X11 version. Screen capture attached.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
Screen capture of RtfEdit in action
(120.42 KiB) Downloaded 1402 times

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

webmayo

What licence? Is it open source? If so where is the code?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

webmayo

License

#5 Post by webmayo »

RTFedit is free for private and non-commercial use.
It is not open source.

charlie6

#6 Post by charlie6 »

Hi webmayo,
the latest RtfEdit-1.32-ubuntu-13.04 version needs Gibc-2.15;
any plan to get a binary of it running with GLibc-2.13?

Happy NY :D
Charlie

webmayo

RtfEdit 1.3.2

#7 Post by webmayo »

Charlie, as requested, all downloads are updated to 1.3.2

http://genscriber.com/genappsd/rtf-editor-85.html

The extra import/export formats require 'LibreOffice' and 'unoconv' to be installed.

Les Hardy

sheldonisaac

Re: RtfEdit 1.3.2

#8 Post by sheldonisaac »

Thank you, it's a very nice editor.

How does one find, or find-and-replace, text strings?

Thanks again,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

webmayo

#9 Post by webmayo »

sheldonisaac wrote: How does one find, or find-and-replace, text strings?
In my version, I use CTRL+F or click on the 'Find/Replace' toolbar button.
Is that not available in the version you are using?

Les Hardy
Attachments
find-replace.jpg
(107.1 KiB) Downloaded 733 times

MochiMoppel

#10 Post by MochiMoppel »

webmayo wrote:Is that not available in the version you are using?
The icon is not on the toolbar by default in the currently available version 1.3.2. Your screenshot shows 1.4.1 ....

To enable Find/Replace:
Step 1) In menu bar click "Toolbar" and select "Search" to add the binocular icon
Step 2) Use Ctrl+F or click icon to start Find/Replace dialog.

The concept is a bit odd, but the editor is nice :wink:

webmayo

#11 Post by webmayo »

MochiMoppel wrote: The concept is a bit odd
What is odd about it? I thought it was normal practice to allow enable/disable of toolbar buttons.
The CTRL+F works with or without the button. This is pretty much standard in all applications. (Your browser probably uses it).

It would be helpful if you could explain how it could be improved.
There a several toolbar options not enabled by default. If I enabled them all, then I guess people would complain about having too many.

Les Hardy

sheldonisaac

#12 Post by sheldonisaac »

[some snipping]
MochiMoppel wrote:
webmayo wrote:Is that not available in the version you are using?
The icon is not on the toolbar by default in the currently available version 1.3.2. Your screenshot shows 1.4.1 ....

To enable Find/Replace:
Step 1) In menu bar click "Toolbar" and select "Search" to add the binocular icon
Now it works.
Thanks again, gentlemen.
webmayo wrote: The CTRL+F works with or without the button.
May I just say that in this version 1.3.2, the Ctrl-F does not work unless the toolbar button is enabled. And (this is not a problem), when closing a file, it asks whether to save the changes, even when none have been made)

I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

MochiMoppel

#13 Post by MochiMoppel »

webmayo wrote:What is odd about it? I thought it was normal practice to allow enable/disable of toolbar buttons.
That's not my point. What I find odd is that many functions - even as basic as find/replace - are not available in the main menu. All standard applications I know follow this design principle: All functions must be present in the menu (which may contain submenus). Keyboard shortcuts may be provided and are visible at the right edge of the applicable menu item. A toolbar may be provided, containing a selection of functions of the main menu. The toolbar may be customizable, but while this is nice, I wouldn't regard this as "normal practice". This is where the luxury starts...

Find/replace (why call it "Search" in the toolbar?) belongs into the main menu. If it would be there, sheldonisaac wouldn't have had trouble to find it. Notice where other editors/word processors put it into the menu. You will notice a pretty much standardized pattern. Also Undo/Redo belongs into the menu ...well. actually everything.
The CTRL+F works with or without the button.
No, it doesn't. Certainly one of the biggest oddities. But it's not a big deal. The application is great. I said that already, didn't I? :lol:

webmayo

#14 Post by webmayo »

The CTRL+F works with or without the button.
No, it doesn't. Certainly one of the biggest oddities. But it's not a big deal.
Ok, Yes I am using version 1.4. Lucky me.
I just checked version 1.3 and you are correct. Thing is, I have not used that version for a long time and I simply forgot, and yes, you are correct about the menus. I never got around to adding everything to the menus.

I do understand software design. This was just one of my in-house editors.
I released it in response to someone on a forum who wanted a simple rtf editor for Linux. I never expected it to be so popular.

Maybe one day I will finish it.

webmayo

#15 Post by webmayo »

MochiMoppel wrote:Find/replace (why call it "Search" in the toolbar?)
For some reason I feel obliged to explain how that came about...

When I was coding the toolmenu, it was just going to be a search. I use a var '_search', and popped the same name in the menu. Later when it was a Find/Replace I simply forgot to change the menu item name.

It is only called Search in the Toolbar menu item. If you role your mouse over the tool button, it should say "Find/Replace".

sheldonisaac

#16 Post by sheldonisaac »

webmayo wrote:Maybe one day I will finish it.
If the newer version will work, all the better.
1.3.2 is fine as it is, now that I can find and replace.

Sheldon

6502coder

#17 Post by 6502coder »

It looks like RtfEdit is no longer an option for people seeking a lightweight RTF editor for Linux.

The links in the OP's post no longer work, and all references to RtfEdit seem to have been deleted from his genscriber.com web site. RtfEdit was just something the author wrote for his own use, and as he says in this thread, he was taken aback by the amount of interest in it. My guess is that he probably decided that he didn't want to take on the responsibilities of supporting it for a large number of users.

It continues to boggle my mind that with all the programming talent in the Linux world, nobody has managed to do for Linux what the Jarte team has done for Windows.

webmayo

#18 Post by webmayo »

6502coder wrote:It looks like RtfEdit is no longer an option for people seeking a lightweight RTF editor for Linux.
It's still there. I moved to a new server and I was in the process of rebuilding the GenScriber website.

The current download is version 1.4.
http://www.genscriber.com/genapps/gensc ... /rtfeditor

Would someone give me some feedback on this version. I have not tested it on Puppy.

Les Hardy

sheldonisaac

version 1.4.

#19 Post by sheldonisaac »

webmayo wrote:The current download is version 1.4.
http://www.genscriber.com/genapps/gensc ... /rtfeditor

Would someone give me some feedback on this version. I have not tested it on Puppy.
Thank you, Les Hardy.

I'll amend this later, when I've done more.

It works under Slacko 5.93, but not under LuPu Super 2; something about missing GLIBC 2.15??

Sheldon

6502coder

#20 Post by 6502coder »

Hi webmayo,

Glad to see I was wrong.

I downloaded the latest ZIP files for RftEdit 1.4.3 and spent a couple of hours testdriving both the "pretty" and "plain X11" versions. I found no problems until I started testing compatibility with other wordprocessors, specifically Abiword, which most Puppies include as their standard wordprocessor, and SoftMaker FreeOffice's TextMaker.

I did my tests on a frugal install of Precise 5.4.93, using the standard Abiword 2.8.6, along with RftEdit 1.4.3 (both the "pretty" and "plain" versions) and the latest version of TextMaker for Linux (rev 696).

The hardware is a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop, 1.3 Ghz Celeron, 1 GB ram.

The problems I encountered related to a) fonts, and b) tables.

Font funkiness

Some very odd things seem to happen to fonts when you pass a document from Abiword or TextMaker to RtfEdit.

In TextMaker, I created a new document consisting of a single sentence, with the font set to DejaVu Sans 10. The line of text was just under 4 inches long.
(All length measurements I cite are based on the ruler bars of the respective applications.)

I saved this as an RTF file named "test2.rtf"

I reopened the file in TextMaker, just to make sure it was saved looking the way I thought it should look. All good.

I then looked at the file in Abiword (2.8.6). It looked essentially the same as in TextMaker, a single line of text about 3 3/4 inches long.

I then started RtfEdit, which came up with a blank document (as expected) and with the font set to sans-serif 12.

Using File->Open I opened the "test2.rtf" document. When it appeared, the font setting in RtfEdit had changed to serif 10. The line of text was displayed in a tiny SERIF font, such that the whole line was just under 2 inches long. Very strange.

Using CTRL-A, I selected the entire (one-line) text, and then selected DejaVu Sans 10 using the Font tool. Now the text was displayed in a tiny sans-serif font, such that the whole line was about 2 1/3 inches long.

I saved this as "test3.rtf", exited RtfEdit, then restarted RtfEdit and reopened the document. It looked the same, still in a tiny sans-serif font about 2 1/3 inches long.

I then opened "test3.rtf" in TextMaker, where it looked very similar, but slightly longer at about 2.5 inches long, in a tiny sans-serif font. TextMaker's font tool claimed that that the text was in DejaVu Sans 10, but the text was clearly smaller than it appeared in "test2.rtf", which was created in TextMaker with the font set to DejaVu Sans 10.

I then opened "test3.rtf" in Abiword. The results were much the same as with TextMaker -- a line of text a bit over 2.5 inches long, which Abiword's font tool said was in DejaVu Sans 10, but which is clearly in type smaller than what you get when you create a new Abiword document in DejaVu Sans 10.

Finally, I repeated the whole test, the only difference being that this time I used Abiword to create the original "test2.rtf" file. Same results.

What about the other direction? Interestingly, a DejaVu San 10 document created in RftEdit looked exactly the same in TextMaker and Abiword, as it did in RtfEdit. So no problems going in that direction.

Table funkiness

I had on hand some RTF documents that included simple tables. These documents were created using Jarte on Windows XP. (Jarte is a sort of souped-up Wordpad and is built on top of the same engine that Wordpad uses.) TextMaker handles them just fine, and I have sometimes passed these docs between Jarte and TextMaker for Windows, making changes from both ends, without any problems. Although I admit I have not done this extensively.

Abiword also handles these documents just fine, at least to display them. (I have never trusted Abiword enough to use it to edit an existing document.)

The borders on the tables are simple thin lines around each cell. When I opened one of these documents in RtfEdit, I found that the border lines were missing, or least not visible.

Going the other way is again, no problem. Tables constructed in RtfEdit display just fine in both TextMaker and Abiword.

This report and my test RTF test files are included in the attached ZIP file.
Attachments
RtfEditTest.zip
my test report and test files
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 376 times