Preferd apps for a "fat" Puppy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
koulaxizis

Preferd apps for a "fat" Puppy

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

I have started organizing for the next "fat" Puppy (see here for the first effort) and i need your opinion! Which applications would you like to see in the iso?
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Volhout

preferred apps

#2 Post by Volhout »

For me it is simple

GIMP
LIBREOFFICE
SAMBA
VLC (for all internet formats).

And I will use Opera browser, but I am absolutely not forcing any browser onto the new fat, since Opera has problems (they are in changeover from 12 series to 15 series, and they have still printer problems (double printing) in 12 series). And I use Flashplayer.

I like smooth looks. In the style of MACPUP. But they have not been able to keep the same looks throughout all programs. I personally do not fancy all the 3d stuff (compiz), actually I hate real iMAC's for it. It gives a fancy feeling of quality, but MAC's are just as buggy as anything else in the software world. But that is personal.

I use TRANSMISSION, printing (CUPS), email (in Opera). And occasionally I program (so not a real user) in BaCon or Python, so I would use something like geany. Any music player will ply my MP3's, so no preference. I don't play DVD's. Occasionally I do record audio from analog input.

Then I have one wish, that maybe no-one can fulfill. Moonlight (linux version of silverlight). Dutch TV shows play on internet in silverlight using the DRM in it.
This may force me to keep Windows on a partition.

Does this help in any way...?

Does this help in any way.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Tree.

I don't know why it doesn't come standard in every Puppy. :?

vflower

preferred apps for a "fat" Puppy

#4 Post by vflower »

Office (Abiword, LibreOffice, PDF viewer / processing utility)
Multimedia players (VLC player, Mplayer, Foobar2000 )
Audio extracting and processing utilities
Video editing and processing utilities
Internet (Google Chrome browser, firefox browser, email client)
P2P file sharing clients , download managers
Samba and Printer utilities
International language support
File and CDROM/ DVD utilities (iso/zip/rar/bz2/7z etc etc)
GIMP, TUXpaint,
Photo and image editing/ processing utilities,
Instant messenger
Password management utility
GUI text processing utilities
Skype / VOIP clients /Webcam utilities

In my opinion, printing / network printing is the most difficult aspect for those occasional linux users such as me. I don’t know if printing under linux can be made as easy as in Micro$oft.

mikeslr

A streaming radio player for a Fat Pup

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi koulaxizis,

Although VLC has been mentioned and it can play streaming radio, doing so is awkward. Clementine and umplayer were my favorite. Umplayer included a gtk-you-tube-viewer which no longer functions. And I think there currently are build problems with Clementine. So you'll have to hunt around for something which minimizes while playing in the background and provides a scrollable list of stations via Shoutcast or alternative when its GUI is open.

mikesLr

amigo

#6 Post by amigo »

Flash, maybe you should roll your own derivative -the 'tree' distro. You could something similar to that project that only booted and showed screensavers. Your could just boot and show the fully expanded tree view of the file system. LOL

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Tree is such a tiny program, and so useful, that I can't understand why it, or at least the same functionality, isn't included in every file manager. :?

666philb

#8 Post by 666philb »

vlc
googleearth
gimp
pidgin
deadbeef
dropbox, wuala or copy
right clicks. pet
steam
qbittorent or tixati
hotshots
firefox
guvcveiw
xvidcap
stellarium
wine
devx & kernel src
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

gcmartin

Re: Preferd apps for a "fat" Puppy

#9 Post by gcmartin »

koulaxizis wrote:I have started organizing for the next "fat" Puppy (see here for the first effort) and i need your opinion! Which applications would you like to see in the iso?
Koulaxizis, I was just wondering if you're planning a 32bit implementation or a 64bit implementation of your upcoming distro.?

If its to be a 32bit distro, 01Micko has a very functional "PHAT" version of Slacko. It could provide a good model. I have found it to provide similar to most subsystem functions that are found in Macs and Windows PC, OOTB. It come with a full compliment of SAMBA such that it will properly communicate with all current devices made for Windows PCs (no matter if they use SMB1, SMB2 or the latest SMB3 protocols). And, it comes native with stable LibreOffice Suite versus the buggy and less featured Abiword. Other members have already touch upon the applications.

If you want a fully featured template, TaZocC has a 64bit distro which is a called "Mariner" which is an even fuller version than PhatSlacko. It adds a lot of multimedia stuff into the mix. It, too, with its on-board compliments of SFSs is an OOTB experience where the user need install little to nothing to be fully capable in matching Windows and Macs in services to the user.

Again these are the ONLY 2 PUPs which comes with the SAMBA which matches Windows and Mac PCs in the breath of devices they service; namely version 4 which is a structural improvement over version 3. 01Micko has a verson 4 PET floating around somewhere that may work to save you some time. I dont think BarryK has gotten around to adding a FULL Samba in Woof as of yet (and certainly not the latest version4).

Both of these distro are hailed to be Slackware based.

2 other items that is important to use and system management
  • One of our members in this thread mentions "Tree".... I agree.
  • AND, I think a multi-pane "side by side" FM like muCommander or emelfm would we a great addition as they bring the ability to see directory structures to spot issues easily along with utilities features to manage and manipulate directories easily.
I agree with your approach as a full feature system brings a ease of use level making it extreme easee for new to Puppy users to become instantly comfortable with the OOTB services.

I also think that when you do produce, it would be helpful to post the minimum target PC configuration you support your distro to run on. It gives users a level of understanding to start.

Edit: One other addition is 01Micko's subsystem addition where when you hover the mouse of the taskbar's network icon, it shows the IP address as well as the other information.

Hope these templates and ideas help.

adi

why "fat"?

#10 Post by adi »

The name "fat" could get criticism because of its reputation. Of course original puppy is a small distro and for many users this is the right way for a quick distro. For me as an end user of puppy linux distro it is very important to use "large" distro because I do not know how to install new apps. But the problem with puppy is the rapidity or changes. Now there is a Slacko 5.6 and all pets must be new. Other distros are made with continues upgrades with no need of new releases. I read about XL that its purpose is to be used offline so you may disagree with it. But on the internet all apps became incompatible after few month. I would like to see skype and rakarrack and musescore in the new iso.

vflower

#11 Post by vflower »

I prefer that all those *.sfs files be built into the initrd.gz file. By doing this, I can directly boot the iso file from grub4dos. I just very like the idea of booting any iso file directly. It's simple and elegant.

Foobar2000 give very high quality when playing MP3s. I do not know whether there is any linux version. Add it if there is a linux version.

Thanks

sc0ttman

#12 Post by sc0ttman »

some office suite
firefox
good torrent client
devx, headers, kernel source etc
LOTS of drivers, firmware, etc

maybe these:

virtualbox (headless... i still wanna make a gtkdialog gui for it)
wine

.. everything else can be small for me - vlc_nogui+vlc-gtk, ffmpeg to record vids, deadbeef is small but i prefer Mocp.. also samba-tng, ssh, ftpfs/sshfs(+fuse), pure-ftpd, hiawatha/mongoose webserver, etc are small..

..horses for courses!
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Q5sys

Re: Preferd apps for a "fat" Puppy

#13 Post by Q5sys »

koulaxizis wrote:I have started organizing for the next "fat" Puppy (see here for the first effort) and i need your opinion! Which applications would you like to see in the iso?
gcmartin wrote:Koulaxizis, I was just wondering if you're planning a 32bit implementation or a 64bit implementation of your upcoming distro.?
Koulaxizis,
If you choose to go the 64 bit route, send me a PM. I'll pitch in and compile what I can for you.

sunburnt

#14 Post by sunburnt »

Web, and Media apps. seem to be the most needed.

Browsers
Stream Rippers
Comm. apps. ( Skype )

Media Players
Media Tools ( editors, encoders, managers, etc.)

Large apps. like Office Suites it`s best to make as packages for those that want them.

### Suggestion: Again I appeal for a bare O.S. and separate apps. ( not a Fat Puppy ).

# Small downloads, not a huge one that the user will never need most of what`s in it.

# Idea: A person or a few people make the O.S.s and post them for app. devs.
The app. devs. make RoxApp, SFS, and Pet packages for/with the O.S.
Folks in the "Extra Software" section could create new packages of their apps. for it.

Now users only download what they need at greatly reduced bandwidth.
I avoid large O.S.s for the stated reasons, big download and don`t need most of it.

The O.S. guys could make Raring and Slackware versions of the O.S. if desired.
I don`t like the idea of scattering forces or creating more app. building work, but...

Q5sys

#15 Post by Q5sys »

sunburnt wrote:### Suggestion: Again I appeal for a bare O.S. and separate apps. ( not a Fat Puppy ).
You have several options.

1) Download the latest Slacko. Learn from online how to use slackware's removepkg command. Open /var/packages/ and choose what packages you want to remove. Then remaster.

2) If you dont mind 64bit, download Slackbones. It's as bare as you can go and still load X. Install whatever packages you want via Slaptget. Then remaster.

vflower

#16 Post by vflower »

for those who just want a barebone puppy, maybe they can turn to other puppy derivatives. The name of a "FAT" puppy or "XL" just imply it should contain nearly all desktop applications for an "ordinary" or an "average" end user. I think barebone is more suitable for an "advance user".

sunburnt

#17 Post by sunburnt »

Q5sys; SlackBones ver. 1.2 at 333 Mb is as bare-bones as it can get?
SeaMonkey reported the size. Maybe it being 64 bit makes the difference?

Slacko is only 167 MB. Slax is 216 MB. Average Puppy`s are 130 to 160 MB.
A bb Puppy with X, GTK, Rox, Jwm, and utilities should be well under 100 MB.

Q5sys

#18 Post by Q5sys »

sunburnt wrote:Q5sys; SlackBones ver. 1.2 at 333 Mb is as bare-bones as it can get?
SeaMonkey reported the size. Maybe it being 64 bit makes the difference?

Slacko is only 167 MB. Slax is 216 MB. Average Puppy`s are 130 to 160 MB.
A bb Puppy with X, GTK, Rox, Jwm, and utilities should be well under 100 MB.
That includes the full devx sfs as well. Its included because since the release hs no applications installed you'll need it to build things.
If you looking for no developer stuff at all, the I can make another iso and load it tonight. Not sure what the size will end up being without the devx and kernel sources.

sunburnt

#19 Post by sunburnt »

Q5sys; That makes complete sense. Devx seem to be about 130 to 150 MB.

My hope was to build apps. from binary files in Precise, or could be Slacko.
My problem is that I can`t find dependency lists for any apps.
I would think that the problem is the same for compiling apps. from source files.

# Q: Is there a trick to this.? Or is this a great guarded secret of Linux.?
Without dep. lists it`s; gather files, compile and wait for errors about missing stuff.
And even then there`s no way to know what extra stuff the app. can use.

Ubuntu has web pages, but they`re one-package-at-a-time, not a complete list.
Slackware doesn`t seem to have much of anything, only the installer knows.

Is it any wonder why people pay good money for M$ Windows.?

simargl8

#20 Post by simargl8 »

sunburnt wrote:My problem is that I can`t find dependency lists for any apps.
You could go here https://www.archlinux.org/packages/, type package name to search
and it will show list of dependencies and other details for Arch Linux packages.

example: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm ... 686/geany/