ClamAV 0.98 + Clamvtk 1.2

Miscellaneous tools
linuxcbon

#16 Post by linuxcbon »

This should be moved to Security/Privacy.

I installed it and updated it, ok.
When running, it crashes, takes too much RAM.
I will try another antivirus.

Subito Piano

#17 Post by Subito Piano »

Wow! Tough to find ClamAV for Puppy that works...and the download through PPM is about 70MB! :shock: It didn't work for me, either....

Glad I found this thread. Because I ran across so many dead download links for ClamAV before finding this, I've mirrored your two files: Some of the FAQ links in the GUI interface are no longer valid [EDIT: SEE NEXT POST], but the program seems to work just fine -- and i'm using xenialpup! (I tested it with the eicar.com fake virus test file.) This is version 0.98 of clamav, but it still downloads the latest virus definitions, so it still does it's job.

I mainly use ClamAV to check suspicious files I get in emails so i can warn friends and co-workers. I'm the only Linux guy; virtually everyone else uses...well, you know.

Kudos to mama21mama, josejp2424, and nilsonmorales for their work on this (6 years ago!!) and to vicmz for posting it.
Last edited by Subito Piano on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 22:44, edited 3 times in total.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

Subito Piano

#18 Post by Subito Piano »

So -- for anyone persnickety like me, I updated the GUI links in the ClamAV menu. The menu is the file "clamav-gui." After you install the ClamAV & ClamVTK files from this thread, you can download this edited version of clamav-gui and place it in /opt/clamav/, replacing the original, but outdated, file that's there. (Then right-click on it, choose "Permissions," and make it executable/searchable.) The menu links then will work correctly. I removed the link to the Spanish FAQs (that link was dead) but I found appropriate updated links for the rest of the menu.
ALSO for those who, like me, speak English but not Spanish, download these two audio files to /opt/clamav/sounds, replacing the (Spanish) audio files that are currently there. The two files are base_datos2.wap ("database updated") and error-actualizacion.wap ("update error)
Maybe someday, if i figure out how to repackage the pet, i'll upload it to save this extra step...
Last edited by Subito Piano on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D

soniabu

#19 Post by soniabu »

Hello Subito Piano, my system is Bionicpup64.
I also installed clamav - following your previous message - and then also the clamv-gui and replaced in opt / clamav;
however I have two errors that I can't solve:
1) when I try to update the DBase virus from menu, at some point this error message arrives:
freshclam: error while loading shared libraries:
libz.so.1 wrong ELF cla CLASS64
and everything stops.

2) when I try to scan the error message is this:
Enter location to scan: / mnt / sda4
clamscan: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: Worng ELF class: ELFCLAASS64 Press enter to continue ...
and after "Enter" returns to the main clamav menu.
Can you tell me how to investigate?
thx sonia
P.S. maybe it's because i try to use a 32 bit application on a 64bit system?

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ soniabu:-

Sonia, 'wrong ELF class' means it's the wrong architecture. From the look of things, you're trying to run a 32-bit application in a 64-bit Puppy....OK?

Two ways round this:-

Either

1) Use the 64-bit application instead, or...

2) You can use the one you have, but you'll need to d'load and install the 32-bit compatibility SFS for Bionicpup64. (Direct link here to the Bionic64 repo.)

Once downloaded, place in /mnt/home, then 'load' it. Immediately after loading it, and before you do anything else, open a terminal, and enter the following:-

Code: Select all

ldconfig
(That's a small 'L', not a '1', BTW). Hit 'Enter', and wait for it to finish doing its thing. What it's doing is setting up all the correct locations, sym-links, etc, for 32-bit stuff to run properly in a 64-bit Puppy. When the prompt ('#') returns, close the terminal.

A re-boot wouldn't hurt at this point.

Once you're back into Bionic64, you should now be able to use the 32-bit version of ClamAV. Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

soniabu

#21 Post by soniabu »

Thx Mike,
I suspected it.
Unfortunately there is no version of this application 64.
On quickpet ppm there is a slightly dated version; but even if I install it I can't get it to work.
Okay I'll try again.
thanks again Mike, for the always exhaustive explanations.

Subito Piano

#22 Post by Subito Piano »

Thanks for taking that, Mike. It would have been beyond my knowledge!

bigpup

#23 Post by bigpup »

Subito Piano,
Tried using it in Bionicpup64 8.0 with the bionicpup 32 compatibility sfs loaded.
Seems to be working.
Updated data base and did a virus scan.

Did everything you posted in your above postings.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

soniabu

#24 Post by soniabu »

ohh , good. Then I'll try it, hoping not to get tangled up

Subito Piano

#25 Post by Subito Piano »

Just a quick reminder -- If you've customized your Puppy and saved it, it's often a good idea to try out software by booting Puppy into RAM rather than your pupsave file, i.e., start with the pfix=ram option. Not normally needed but in his case you are doing something a bit unuual, trying o get 32-bit software runnning in 64-bit. Call me overcautious, but i've been burned before...!
Better yet, make sure you have a backup of your pupsave file. Update that every now and then...and, well, you get the idea.

soniabu

#26 Post by soniabu »

ohh thanks Subito Piano
they are good tips.
sonia

soniabu

#27 Post by soniabu »

Now I say it big! :mrgreen:
I remembered that I had a 32-bit old PC on which I installed Xenialpup32.
Now the question is a bit odd.
Being the two Pc A = 32 Xenial) and B = 64 (Bionic) in the Lan network; is there a way to have ClamAv run on A (32) to have the system B (64) checked as well?
I hope I explained myself well.
Who can advise me on this?
thank you
sonia

Subito Piano

#28 Post by Subito Piano »

Try the tools under MENU>NETWORK -- I've not used them but maybe PcurlFTP will work.
NUTS!! Just yesterday I had the instructions on how to use ROX-filer to access shares -- I never used them so apparently I threw them out! Image
You might want to look at the pages Network Samba Share Rox App and this related page. A cursory downloading and trial didn't work for me but I've got to get moving....

Subito Piano

#29 Post by Subito Piano »

BTW -- If you don't know how to use PeasyPort, try using port 80 and scan using the default IP range OR if you know the IP address of your other machine, then you can choose a range of ports to scan, say something outrageous like 1-500. Then hopefully you can find your other unit's files in ~/File-Sharing (i.e. the folder "File-Sharing" in your home folder) and direct Clam there to scan them.
I may be considerably "off" in my instructions, as I've not shared folders much if at all. If this doesn't help (and if nobody with more experience posts a better reply), then probably some digging around the 'net, esp. this forum, you should be able to figure out the ins and outs of file sharing on Puppy/Linux.

soniabu

#30 Post by soniabu »

thanks for the tips Subito.
However I solved this way (in my opinion simpler):
I booted bionicpup32 on the 64bit PC and started Clamav - after replacing the gui as you suggested - and everything worked perfectly.

Right now I am checking all the files present and in a little while I will have the results that I hope will reassure.
Tks again Subito.
Post Scriptum
But I plan to try what you recommended in the previous post in order to give me some more experience.
sonia

Subito Piano

#31 Post by Subito Piano »

Ah, MUCH simpler that way. Perhaps I misunderstood what you wanted.
While i was on this, i uploaded English translations of the ClamVTK audio files, since...well, as i recall, i earned a D+ in Spanish in high school...
...and college. :roll:
Anyway, to download the audio files, see my (edited) second post on page 2.

soniabu

#32 Post by soniabu »

No, no Subito, you understood well what I meant, only that I thought I'd boot with bionicpup32 to detect any viruses.
Now, following your links, and I will try to understand how to use Samba.
I also tried to use an AppImage 'LANShare' but having downloaded it correctly, I can't get it started. LANShare seems an easy, easy application.

sonia