Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 15:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Multisession Lupu CD won't boot
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
dbd400@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2013, 21:30    Post subject:  Multisession Lupu CD won't boot  

Although the slacko puppy on my desktop is working fine, I am trying to set up a music server using an Optiplex s
x270 which I bought on ebay. I chose Lupu-5.2.8 because elsewhere there are full instructions on how to use it to set up a share which may be recognized by my Sonos system. The disk is not present. Puppy was loaded from a multisession cd. I upgraded the memory from 256 to 2Gb, then tried to boot puppy Lupu-5.2.8. Although the puppy image appeared, and the vmlinz completed, during the next part I received the following message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block(0,12)

What is happening? Is there a simple way to fix it? Would the presence of a disk make any difference.

Additionally, the whole thing was unusually, impossibly slow. While this slow loading was proceeding, it occurred to me that this was slowed by many error retries, though I had booted the same disk onto my desktop with no such symptom. So an additional possibility is a dirty drive head.

Thank you for any and all information..
illidan.modeler

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2013, 02:23    Post subject: Re: Puppy won't boot  

dbd400@gmail.com wrote:
Although the slacko puppy on my desktop is working fine, I am trying to set up a music server using an Optiplex s
x270 which I bought on ebay. I chose Lupu-5.2.8 because elsewhere there are full instructions on how to use it to set up a share which may be recognized by my Sonos system. The disk is not present. Puppy was loaded from a multisession cd. I upgraded the memory from 256 to 2Gb, then tried to boot puppy Lupu-5.2.8. Although the puppy image appeared, and the vmlinz completed, during the next part I received the following message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block(0,12)

What is happening? Is there a simple way to fix it? Would the presence of a disk make any difference.

Additionally, the whole thing was unusually, impossibly slow. While this slow loading was proceeding, it occurred to me that this was slowed by many error retries, though I had booted the same disk onto my desktop with no such symptom. So an additional possibility is a dirty drive head.

Thank you for any and all information..

I'm not quite sure what is happening. But you may try my way:

Under the root directory of your file tree, there should be a file named syslinux.cfg.

Open it and move to the last 2 lines, which read:
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy acpi=force

Add 'rootdelay=10' to the last line, making it:
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy acpi=force rootdelay=10

In case that your PC is unable to boot from its internal HDD, make a pen drive Puppy and boot your PC. After that, modify the file as desribed above.

Try it and let me know if it works.

External HDD1: SalixOS 14.0 with fvwm
External HDD2: Blag Linux and GNU 140k
Pen Drive: Slacko 5.6
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2013, 08:47    Post subject:  

Dbd400: First, I hope your name is not your email address. Confused

If I understand right, you're trying to boot a multisession Lupu CD in a computer that has 2 GB of RAM but that doesn't have a hard disk drive. If that's correct, it should work. I've been running Puppy from multisession DVD (once or twice a CD but mostly DVD+RWs) for many years in several computers, none of which had hard disk drives. Multisession Puppy doesn't care. Smile

Does the Optiplex have a DVD drive, or only CD? DVDs generally work better for multisession than do CDs. Also, you might try a different brand of CD. The drive may not like the brand you used. If you can find a CD-RW, try that.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2013, 13:52    Post subject:  

First thing to eliminate is make sure it was not a bad install to the mufti-session CD.
How are you doing the install to CD?

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: