Some stupid questions about apps in linux.

Booting, installing, newbie
dult

Some stupid questions about apps in linux.

#1 Post by dult »

Hello there everyone,

I'm farly new to linux, and these are some of the questions I have about how linux works.

In windows, I liked having portable apps. In the sense that to me, there were two kind of programs: mine and the system.

Mine are my working programs: blender, gimp, etc.

System's are the programs I don't cara about, I just want them to work: image viewer, pdf creator etc.

In puppy there's a clear distinction in the sense that pet packages are loaded into ram, and load faster.

From the different tar.gz packages I downloaded it seems most apps are by themselves portable, with all dependencies in them (ex: Blender), and some with some exceptions (audacity and inkscape - ghostscript).

But, can I create a folder name /home/apps/blender/ put the app there and work from it without problem? Or will this create issues in the long run?

Best regards.

MochiMoppel

Re: Some stupid questions about apps in linux.

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

dult wrote:But, can I create a folder name /home/apps/blender/ put the app there and work from it without problem? Or will this create issues in the long run?
I do this with all my browsers (Opera, Firefox, Iron),with inkscape and some other small programs. No problems so far. The only inconvenience: Most applications insist on saving their setting file to /root, so you either instruct them to use other locations, let Puppy save the file to your pupsave file (if you use one) or use a script to copy the setting file between /home and /root. I use the latter method with my VoIP app. It's only one file which I can run directly from /home.The setting file with the login data is copied to root/ by a small "housekeeping" script which I run after boot.

dult

Re: Some stupid questions about apps in linux.

#3 Post by dult »

MochiMoppel wrote:
dult wrote:But, can I create a folder name /home/apps/blender/ put the app there and work from it without problem? Or will this create issues in the long run?
I do this with all my browsers (Opera, Firefox, Iron),with inkscape and some other small programs. No problems so far. The only inconvenience: Most applications insist on saving their setting file to /root, so you either instruct them to use other locations, let Puppy save the file to your pupsave file (if you use one) or use a script to copy the setting file between /home and /root. I use the latter method with my VoIP app. It's only one file which I can run directly from /home.The setting file with the login data is copied to root/ by a small "housekeeping" script which I run after boot.
Nice. Most apps allow the creation of shortcuts in their save files (at least in windows), so that's a solution.

Another thing I would like to try is to install Steam, inside a USB DRIVE O_o with a 16gb tf2 file...

666philb

#4 Post by 666philb »

hi dult,

not sure which puppy you're using, but here's steam for precise puppy..... (may or may not work on other pups) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0acf43d24a
Last edited by 666philb on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

dult

#5 Post by dult »

666philb wrote:hi dult,

not sure which puppy you're using, but here's stem for precise puppy..... (may or may not work on other pups) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0acf43d24a
Thanks, I'll try it and see which solutions fits me best.

Running an app under spot isn't as easy as putting it inside spot's folder right?