How to burn an .iso to a CD in Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Benpercent

How to burn an .iso to a CD in Puppy?

#1 Post by Benpercent »

I want to try out a different Linux distro, and after struggling with some various installation bits I think I finally figured out how to solve my problem.

The new problem, however, is that I lost my darn USB stick, so I have to create another bootable device before I attempt my solution!

What I want to do is put the .iso on a CD and make that bootable, but how do I do that within Puppy Precise? I did this once before on Windows, but am unfamiliar with the process differences in Puppy.

I installed Libburn and, as per a tutorial's recommendation, opened up a command prompt and entered "burniso <unbuntu.iso>", but it only gives me the error message "bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline' ."

So what say you? What do I do differently so that I can empower myself with Linux?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd is what I use to burn all my Puppy CDs and DVDs. (DVD works better than CD if you have a DVD drive in the computer you'll be booting the disk in.)

Pburn will also make a bootable CD; I'm just not as used to using it.

If you use Burniso2cd, I recommend that you copy (not move) the iso to /tmp first and burn it from there.

Sylvander

Re: How to burn an .iso to a CD in Puppy?

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Benpercent wrote:What I want to do is put the .iso on a CD and make that bootable...
Don't even attempt to do that.
If you just copy an iso FILE to an optical disk, that disk will NOT be bootable.
For it to be bootable, you must copy the iso IMAGE to the optical disk.
i.e. It MUST be burned AS AN IMAGE not as a file.

Burniso2cd is the best program to use to do that.