"pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

"pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro

#1 Post by liro »

I decided to give the Cloudy Skies Live Puppy distro a try, so downloaded the ISO and used "Bootflash install Puppy to USB" to create a bootable USB drive.

However, when I boot the USB I end up with this message:

pup_301.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console.
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

I've searched the forum and found a few threads about this, but the apparent solution (typing "puppy ide=nodma acpi=off") doesn't work for me... Anything that begins with "puppy" and it just says "not found".

Does anyone know how I can get this to work?
Thanks

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hmm I believe puppy 3 series had subfolders as an option so make sure your boot config/menu.lst actually matches the location of the sfs file.

mike

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

@liro: You didn't state which Puppy you used to run Bootflash. But I did a vanilla manual USB install of Puppy 3.01 (no folders) and it worked fine.

It also worked with ISObooter. It might be your better choice because it simulates booting off the CD.

[Edit] I downloaded the Cloudy Skies ISO and ran it through ISObooter. It started correctly.

liro

#4 Post by liro »

Thanks for the replies mikeb & rcrsn51.

rcrsn51, I followed your instructions for using ISOBooter, but now when I boot from the USB drive I get the grub prompt come up. What do I type there?

PS. I used Bootflash in Slacko 5.3.3.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

liro wrote:rcrsn51, I followed your instructions for using ISOBooter, but now when I boot from the USB drive I get the grub prompt come up.
Then you missed a step. What files do you see on the flash drive?

BTW, Puppy 3.01 has a zdrv.sfs file. Did you include it on your original flash drive?

liro

#6 Post by liro »

Hi. I followed your ISObooter instructions exactly from 1-11 (I tried with both the splash/not splash).

The files on the flash drive are:

cloudyskies.iso, grldr, isobooter, menu.lst

There isn't any zdrv.sfs file... how do I include that?

EDIT: I found the zdrv.sfs inside the ISO and copied onto the flash drive, but it still just boots to the grub prompt.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Then I don't know why it's not booting. It may be that your computer's BIOS doesn't like Grub4Dos as a USB bootloader and only works with syslinux.

The reference to zdrv.sfs was with your original setup, not ISObooter. Run Bootflash again, but you may need to manually copy this file onto the flash drive.

Keef

#8 Post by Keef »

What is the drive formatted to? ext2 ext3 etc.
I think this has been known to cause this problem sometimes.

liro

#9 Post by liro »

rcrsn51 wrote:Then I don't know why it's not booting. It may be that your computer's BIOS doesn't like Grub4Dos as a USB bootloader and only works with syslinux.

The reference to zdrv.sfs was with your original setup, not ISObooter. Run Bootflash again, but you may need to manually copy this file onto the flash drive.
I tried again with Bootflash, but the zdrv.sfs file is already there. I've also just tried creating the bootable flash drive with Unetbootin (via Wine) but this doesn't work either (when booting it just skips through to the Grub4Dos installed on the hard drive :/)
Keef wrote:What is the drive formatted to? ext2 ext3 etc.
I think this has been known to cause this problem sometimes.
The USB flash drive is formatted to FAT32, the linux partition on my hard drive is ext4.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you have another machine that you can try to boot off the flash drive?

Have you successfully made other Puppy flash drives on your current machine?

liro

#11 Post by liro »

rcrsn51 wrote:Do you have another machine that you can try to boot off the flash drive?

Have you successfully made other Puppy flash drives on your current machine?
Yep, lots of times (I don't have a CD-ROM on my laptop so USB flash drive installation is the only simple way).

I don't have another machine here at the moment, but should be able to try it on a different one tomorrow.

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

I suspect that your laptop or netbook is quite fast, so the old initrd.gz might try to detect partitions already , while the usb-storage driver is not loaded completely .

liro

#13 Post by liro »

Okay, I've just tried it again on a desktop computer, and...

With the BootFlash method it does exactly the same thing ("pup_301.sfs not found....", etc).

With the ISObooter method I get:

"Filesytem type is iso9660, using whole disk
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1c00, size=0x1a73b8]
initrd /initrd.gz

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue"

So not the same thing as on my laptop, but it still doesn't work... I've checked the checksum for the ISO and it's correct. As mentioned, I've booted Puppy from USB flash disks lot of times before without any problems (in fact, I've just tried booting from USB to Slacko 5.3.3 now and it worked). It definitely seems to be something to do with this particular ISO (filename: cloudyskieslive-1.01-pupp1.iso). Btw, my laptop is a pretty old IBM Thinkpad X31, the desktop is a Dell Dimension.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

liro wrote:Error 15: File not found
I set up an ISObooter drive with the original Puppy 3.01 and Cloudy Skies.

If I chose "splash screen", both would boot.

If I chose "no splash screen", Cloudy Skies failed with the above error. I have never seen that happen before.

I suspect that there is something wonky about how Cloudy Skies was remastered.

[Edit] I remastered the Cloudy Skies ISO using a newer Puppy, then booted it in ISObooter. It worked both ways - with and without the splash screen.

Karl Godt

#15 Post by Karl Godt »

Hope that it is this one :

A star is born

Download location:
Thanks to forum member Caneri, Cloudy Skies Live can be downloaded from
http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/CSL/index.html
(446 MB download)
The MD5 can also be obtained here.

Download mirror:
Thanks to forum member Dingo
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... yskieslive
(446 MB download)

liro

#16 Post by liro »

Karl, I'd read that thread earlier but unfortunately neither of those two links work.

rcrsn51, how could I remaster the ISO with a newer puppy as you have done? Thanks.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

First, you need to confirm that ISObooter works on your desktop machine in "splashscreen" mode.

liro

#18 Post by liro »

rcrsn51 wrote:First, you need to confirm that ISObooter works on your desktop machine in "splashscreen" mode.
Nope, it doesn't work. I found another version of the ISO, tried it again (splashscreen mode on desktop) and it just got me to a grub prompt... Every other Puppy ISO I try on the laptop and the desktop work fine.

The original Cloudy Skies Live ISO seems to have been deleted from all official sources. Could I ask where you downloaded your version from as it doesn't seem to be the same as the one I have? Thanks.

PS. The versions of the ISO I've tried are:
1.http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/ISOs/cl ... -pupp1.iso
2. http://fileunion.com/File/bd8jmf9jo09pg#

watchdog

#19 Post by watchdog »

I had success. The iso of Cloudy Skies has the pup_301.sfs named pup_301cls.sfs. Just rename it as pup_301.sfs. To boot the iso without rebuilding the iso you can do the following.
Format fat32 a usb stick.
As you have freshly formatted copy the downloaded iso to the usb stick.
Install grub4dos to the usb stick.
Run "blkid" in console and read the uuid of the usb stick. Say it is "xxyyzz".
In menu.lst put a menu entry as:

Code: Select all

title Cloudy Skies 1.01 ISO
    uuid xxyyzz
    map /cloudyskieslive-1.01-pupp1.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    root (hd32)
    chainloader (hd32)
    boot
Mount the iso of Cloudy Skies. Copy to the usb stick at root directory vmlinuz, initrd.gz, zdrv_301.sfs, isolinux.cfg, pup_301cls.sfs. Rename pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs on the usb stick. Open with geany isolinux.cfg on the usb stick and change pmedia=cd with pmedia=usbflash.
Boot the usb stick. Choose the above entry and put as boot option:

Code: Select all

boot: puppy pmedia=usbflash
This worked here.

liro

#20 Post by liro »

Hi watchdog, thanks a lot for your reply.

I followed your instructions exactly and (unfortunately) this is what I get after choosing the cloudy.iso boot entry:
Attachments
1a.JPG
(35.9 KiB) Downloaded 444 times