Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 02:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
"pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Author Message
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013, 16:16    Post_subject:  

Karl, I'd read that thread earlier but unfortunately neither of those two links work.

rcrsn51, how could I remaster the ISO with a newer puppy as you have done? Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9214
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2013, 17:55    Post_subject:  

First, you need to confirm that ISObooter works on your desktop machine in "splashscreen" mode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 05:24    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
First, you need to confirm that ISObooter works on your desktop machine in "splashscreen" mode.

Nope, it doesn't work. I found another version of the ISO, tried it again (splashscreen mode on desktop) and it just got me to a grub prompt... Every other Puppy ISO I try on the laptop and the desktop work fine.

The original Cloudy Skies Live ISO seems to have been deleted from all official sources. Could I ask where you downloaded your version from as it doesn't seem to be the same as the one I have? Thanks.

PS. The versions of the ISO I've tried are:
1.http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/ISOs/cloudyskieslive-1.01-pupp1.iso
2. http://fileunion.com/File/bd8jmf9jo09pg#
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 612

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 07:18    Post_subject:  

I had success. The iso of Cloudy Skies has the pup_301.sfs named pup_301cls.sfs. Just rename it as pup_301.sfs. To boot the iso without rebuilding the iso you can do the following.
Format fat32 a usb stick.
As you have freshly formatted copy the downloaded iso to the usb stick.
Install grub4dos to the usb stick.
Run "blkid" in console and read the uuid of the usb stick. Say it is "xxyyzz".
In menu.lst put a menu entry as:

Code:
title Cloudy Skies 1.01 ISO
    uuid xxyyzz
    map /cloudyskieslive-1.01-pupp1.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    root (hd32)
    chainloader (hd32)
    boot


Mount the iso of Cloudy Skies. Copy to the usb stick at root directory vmlinuz, initrd.gz, zdrv_301.sfs, isolinux.cfg, pup_301cls.sfs. Rename pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs on the usb stick. Open with geany isolinux.cfg on the usb stick and change pmedia=cd with pmedia=usbflash.
Boot the usb stick. Choose the above entry and put as boot option:

Code:
boot: puppy pmedia=usbflash


This worked here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 14:55    Post_subject:  

Hi watchdog, thanks a lot for your reply.

I followed your instructions exactly and (unfortunately) this is what I get after choosing the cloudy.iso boot entry:
1a.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   35.9 KB
 Viewed   235 Time(s)

1a.JPG

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9214
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 15:40    Post_subject:  

Here is one more thing to try.

Go back to your original Bootflash install.

In the syslinux.cfg file, change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=cd".

Copy the two sfs files from the ISO to the root of your hard drive.

Reboot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 16:30    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Here is one more thing to try.

Go back to your original Bootflash install.

In the syslinux.cfg file, change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=cd".

Copy the two sfs files from the ISO to the root of your hard drive.

Reboot.

After doing that I get: "Could not find the kernel file: linux"
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 612

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 01:03    Post_subject:  

You can do a normal frugal install to a usb stick booting it with grub4dos. Mount the iso and copy all the content to the usb stick. Rename pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs on the usb stick. Install grub4dos to the usb stick and boot it choosing the standard menu entry for a frugal install. Menu entry for menu.lst on sdb1:

Code:
title Cloudy Skies 1.01 (frugal on sdb1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash  pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz   
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 01:59    Post_subject:  

watchdog wrote:
You can do a normal frugal install to a usb stick booting it with grub4dos. Mount the iso and copy all the content to the usb stick. Rename pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs on the usb stick. Install grub4dos to the usb stick and boot it choosing the standard menu entry for a frugal install. Menu entry for menu.lst on sdb1:

Code:
title Cloudy Skies 1.01 (frugal on sdb1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash  pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz   

Now I get: "Try (HD0,0): FAT32"

I then changed the "root" part in menu.lst to hd0,0 but it just says the same thing...

Perhaps I've wasted enough time on this already?! To be honest I only wanted to test out this puplet and thought it would be a simple case of (as with every other Puppy distro I've tried) creating a bootable USB drive from the ISO with BootFlash or Unetbootin, and hey presto.

Due to my lack of Linux knowledge, I don't really know why it is so complicated (on my setup at least) to get this version of Puppy going. Is it a problem with the ISO or because it is an old distro or...something else?

Anyway, cheers for your help guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 612

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 02:20    Post_subject:  

liro wrote:

Due to my lack of Linux knowledge, I don't really know why it is so complicated (on my setup at least) to get this version of Puppy going. Is it a problem with the ISO or because it is an old distro or...something else?

Anyway, cheers for your help guys.


If you want to boot this puppy in the usual way you must rebuild the iso renaming pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs. Someone must reupload the corrected iso but there is no general interest in this. I think you are only tired. Get some relax and reread the thread after some time. I'm sure you'll be able to boot this puppy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Monsie


Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 633
Location: Kamloops BC Canada

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 03:04    Post_subject: "pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro  

liro wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps I've wasted enough time on this already?! To be honest I only wanted to test out this puplet and thought it would be a simple case of (as with every other Puppy distro I've tried) creating a bootable USB drive from the ISO with BootFlash or Unetbootin, and hey presto.



You are receiving some great help and advice. That said, in the event that you cannot resolve this and boot up Cloudy Skies, consider some recent Astronomy programs for Puppy, if you have not already done so --since Cloudy Skies is getting old and out of date. If you are interested, you will find the most recent Skychart in this thread here. It seems to work in a number of Puppies, though more feedback on this would be useful.

Monsie

_________________
My username is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 03:17    Post_subject:  

watchdog wrote:
liro wrote:

Due to my lack of Linux knowledge, I don't really know why it is so complicated (on my setup at least) to get this version of Puppy going. Is it a problem with the ISO or because it is an old distro or...something else?

Anyway, cheers for your help guys.


If you want to boot this puppy in the usual way you must rebuild the iso renaming pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs. Someone must reupload the corrected iso but there is no general interest in this. I think you are only tired. Get some relax and reread the thread after some time. I'm sure you'll be able to boot this puppy.

Watchdog, I've rebuilt the ISO after renaming pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs, then even put a copy of pup_301.sfs on every partition on my hard drive, but I still get this :/
2.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   24.25 KB
 Viewed   156 Time(s)

2.JPG

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 03:22    Post_subject: Re: "pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro  

Monsie wrote:


You are receiving some great help and advice. That said, in the event that you cannot resolve this and boot up Cloudy Skies, consider some recent Astronomy programs for Puppy, if you have not already done so --since Cloudy Skies is getting old and out of date. If you are interested, you will find the most recent Skychart in this thread here. It seems to work in a number of Puppies, though more feedback on this would be useful.

Monsie

Hi Monsie, yeah I appreciate the help I'm receiving in the forum, this has to be one of the friendliest Linux forums going. Getting this Cloudy Skies working is driving me slightly crazy though Very Happy.

I know it's quite an old puplet, but was interested in it just because it has so many different programs. I've already tried Skychart, Stellarium (which has a graphics problem on my laptop) and a couple of others. Think I might just give up on Cloudy Skies for the moment...
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Monsie


Joined: 01 Dec 2011
Posts: 633
Location: Kamloops BC Canada

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 03:38    Post_subject:  

liro wrote:
Quote:
I've already tried Skychart, Stellarium (which has a graphics problem on my laptop)


Just for the record, which Puppy have you been using when you tried Skychart and Stellarium?

I have had some issues with some previous versions of Stellarium in various distros...

I take it that Skychart worked okay for you?

Monsie

_________________
My username is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
liro

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 03:41    Post_subject:  

Monsie wrote:
liro wrote:
Quote:
I've already tried Skychart, Stellarium (which has a graphics problem on my laptop)


Just for the record, which Puppy have you been using when you tried Skychart and Stellarium?

I have had some issues with some previous versions of Stellarium in various distros...

I take it that Skychart worked okay for you?

Monsie

Yeah, Skychart worked okay.

Stellarium suffers from breaking-up/flashy graphics with Slacko 5.3.3 (the distro I use). I tried it on Slacko 5.4 and it worked okay. I'm pretty sure it is to do with the graphics drivers (my laptop is an IBM Thinkpad X31, btw).
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0939s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0053s) ][ GZIP on ]