X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tano70

Re: Resizing your images for posting to forum threads

#1021 Post by tano70 »

gcmartin wrote:If you (anyone) want your images/pictures/screenshots resized for forum display, consult this thread.

Hope this is helpful.
Ok Thanks!

I make a test
Attachments
MioDesktop.png
(116.61 KiB) Downloaded 1065 times

Billtoo

X-Slacko-4.1 with Xfce

#1022 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 hard drive, pc is a HP desktop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 20 May 2016 on X-Slacko 4.1 Linux 3.14.56 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 3200x900 pixels (847x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 MHz

No problems
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(33.97 KiB) Downloaded 988 times

Billtoo

X-Slacko-4.1 with Xfce

#1023 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive of my lenovo desktop
pc:
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sat 21 May 2016 on X-Slacko 4.1 Linux 3.14.56 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 364.19

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

Works great,
Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(40.69 KiB) Downloaded 953 times

mistfire

#1024 Post by mistfire »

Hi @rg66 x-slacko 4.1 is way better than previous versions. I make some revisions on the following script

* remasterpup2 and shutdownconfig information dialogs is now using box-splash instead of XDialog.
Attachments
shutdownconfig.gz
Revised pupsave
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
remasterpup2.gz
Revised remasterpup2
(13.74 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

mistfire

#1025 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 x-slacko does not search and load savefiles that was placed on NTFS partition. However the NTFS partition can be read and write. Is there any fix for that?

Sage

#1026 Post by Sage »

x-slacko does not search and load savefiles that was placed on NTFS partition
Curious comment? Why would you expect it? Linux and Linux file systems have absolutely nothing to do do with M$/Windows/NTFS! Fortunately. That's why we use Linux. Of course, you can 'see' into alien file systems, even read passwords/move/delete files using appropriate diagnostic Linux utilities, but you cannot 'run' anything from the devil's OS without Wine, etc. Why put a Linux savefile onto an NTFS partition? The other day, I had VirginMedia's (self-styled?) 'chief' software technician ask me to run an .exe file on a friend's Linux PC. It was then I realised how lucky I was not to be a VirginMedia subscriber. Quite a few of these ISP IT supremo s want to tell us they 'don't support Linux'. Well, maybe we should take their routers away from them and see what sort of service they scratch around to offer. How many routers run on anything but Linux? Virtually all the important commercial e.g banks servers in the world run Linux (Samba & co.). In so far as Android is a direct derivative of Linux, most mobiles outside the USA run Linux. NTFS? Get rid of it...

toomanyquestions

Re: Touchpad

#1027 Post by toomanyquestions »

rg66 wrote:You can try running xorgwizard and see if it then loads the driver.
I ran xorgwizard from prompt - it worked!

mistfire

#1028 Post by mistfire »

Sage wrote:
x-slacko does not search and load savefiles that was placed on NTFS partition
Curious comment? Why would you expect it? Linux and Linux file systems have absolutely nothing to do do with M$/Windows/NTFS! Fortunately. That's why we use Linux. Of course, you can 'see' into alien file systems, even read passwords/move/delete files using appropriate diagnostic Linux utilities, but you cannot 'run' anything from the devil's OS without Wine, etc. Why put a Linux savefile onto an NTFS partition? The other day, I had VirginMedia's (self-styled?) 'chief' software technician ask me to run an .exe file on a friend's Linux PC. It was then I realised how lucky I was not to be a VirginMedia subscriber. Quite a few of these ISP IT supremo s want to tell us they 'don't support Linux'. Well, maybe we should take their routers away from them and see what sort of service they scratch around to offer. How many routers run on anything but Linux? Virtually all the important commercial e.g banks servers in the world run Linux (Samba & co.). In so far as Android is a direct derivative of Linux, most mobiles outside the USA run Linux. NTFS? Get rid of it...

@Sage I am worked on both Windows, Linux, OS X, and different OS. The original puppy (Puppy 4.0 and later also with NOP) can search and load save files stored on NTFS partitions. It is all about file system interoperability and Puppy Linux flexibility, not M$-*nix philosophies.

Sage

#1029 Post by Sage »

Accident waiting to happen, mf! HD fails - you've lost the lot. Why not install separate discs for each system?

gcmartin

#1030 Post by gcmartin »

I can see the point that @Mistfire raises: "It just another filesystem."

As a filesystem, 4 things I am aware:
  • NTFS is over 25years old.
  • It ENORMOUSLY exceeds use, in numbers, more than any other filesystem on the planer FOR PCs.
  • NTFS can handle Linux data and Linux shortcuts.
  • It has qualities beyond that of the FAT filesystems that the OS can take advantage of for data use and data integrity
Like Unix, NTFS is understood in Linux, as well as in Apple, Android, Chromebook, etc.

There is/was threads discussing this issue for couple of PUP components; namely booting and save-sessions. There may be others.

Yet, I have understood those who line both sides of the fence on this filesystem and discussions around it.

mistfire

Some Bugs(?) on X-slacko

#1031 Post by mistfire »

I noticed something quirky when booting x-slacko 4.1 on USB flash drive.

When shutdownconfig script run for the first time. It does not scan partitions instead it automatically select the flash drive where the x-slacko booted and also it does not load save files stored on hard disk partitions. You can select partition for saving x-slacko and load saved file upon boot if pmedia=cd is appended on bootloader settings such as syslinux, grub, grub4dos, etc. A pristine puppy linux can select partitions for saving and load save files from partition without appending pmedia=cd parameter.

Pelo

Nothing new about parole ? XFmedia.

#1032 Post by Pelo »

Nothing new about parole ? Parole was only Missing some plugins in thin Slacko XFCE (builder Jejy69)
XFmedia plays DVDs, that is not so bad, but fails with MP4 and avi video.
I was checking is someting new since Saluki. X-Slacko-4.1 running at home, in its slimmed version.
But XFCE apps would be welcome, for a XFCE puppy. For songs there are so many apps, but for video, Linux is not so rich.
'AVI movies don't play well, very jerky, almost stopped, especially if they are 750M or larger and 720P resolution with Xnoise. Using Bills VLC the same movie plays fine."
Ogle is a third one, doing the job with DVDs.
These apps are old, but as forgotten in the forum cellars, a new paint and they should marry with latest XFCE desktops.
Parole made serviceable by Mistfire version 0.52 here
Attachments
ogle.png
These libs should be easy to find...
(17.3 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

What apps are in the box ?

#1033 Post by Pelo »

pet clockset here, installed in Slim X-slacko
Slim compared to X-Slaxko.. Well we got the list of X-slacko, ISO size, but what is contained inside ? What apps are in the box ? that could help to choose one, whitout having to download all
Attachments
X-Slacko-surprise-.jpg
Nice box, but what apps are inside ?
(18.99 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

rg66

#1034 Post by rg66 »

Initial test of Slacko-6.3.2 with Xfce-4.12.x
Attachments
slacko-6.3.2.jpg
(55.54 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

Re: What apps are in the box ?

#1035 Post by rg66 »

Pelo wrote:Slim compared to X-Slaxko.. Well we got the list of X-slacko, ISO size, but what is contained inside ? What apps are in the box ? that could help to choose one, whitout having to download all
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/curre ... s_list.txt
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Pelo

merci for the list.

#1036 Post by Pelo »

merci for the list. What i mean, is that people reading the forum could choose between so many puppies first by what they offer to do with them.
Dowloading iSO to look inside is half a day of work. Unless you run them in virtual machine. The better would be that the menu was readable from the street, so that you don't need to enter the restaurant and ask for it.
Jenimah description was not bad
Attachments
xtahr.jpg
Just screenshots are enough, for US and UK. description needed for foreigners
(50.68 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#1037 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 Its good that you are back. Can you please compile the latest version of parole which configured to use gstreamer 0.10? By the way, Is it possible to show mounted images in thunar. Just like on jejy69 xfce-based puppy?

Pelo

XFmedia topic For slim puppies

#1038 Post by Pelo »

some people complain because i reactivate XFmedia topic here. Take a glance, and anwser if you agree about activating the how to do with Xfmedia. Click the blue.
Attachments
xfmedia.jpg
dependancies
(65.34 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 14:35, edited 2 times in total.

mistfire

#1039 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo xfmedia is good player, however the problem was poor playback of large mp4 players. I wonder if there is a better version for that .

Pelo

problem would be more the computer RAM and Processor

#1040 Post by Pelo »

For large MP4 files, the problem is 'large' and 'mémoire tampon' used.
Mémoire tampon is as a swap.
I am not sure that other media players would do better, problem would be more the computer than the application. (Ram and processor)
I will test..