X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#1096 Post by Sage »

What an interesting blast. It's clear what this fellow wants. What is he prepared to pay for it all?! Perhaps if he doesn't have the ability (like me) he should post some very polite & brief enquiries, possibly PMs? And learn patience? Or send a cq for a couple of $m to Redmond? No, make that $bn...

Sailor Enceladus

#1097 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@belham2: I think openssl v1.0.1u is currently the newest in that branch, and Menu -> Setup -> Updates Manager in Slacko is up to date. v1.0.1v sounds like an unofficial version, or a virus maybe? It's not 2017 yet so no use making future claims about security. When Firefox 38esr support ended, Slackware 14.1 switched to Firefox 45esr, they might do the same with v1.0.1 to v1.0.2 when needed, probably depends on how many things it breaks. By then maybe Slacko 7 (14.2) will be stable anyway.

You can help test and debug Slacko 7 Beta here right now: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

belham2

#1098 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:@belham2: I think openssl v1.0.1u is currently the newest in that branch, and Menu -> Setup -> Updates Manager in Slacko is up to date. v1.0.1v sounds like an unofficial version, or a virus maybe? It's not 2017 yet so no use making future claims about security. When Firefox 38esr support ended, Slackware 14.1 switched to Firefox 45esr, they might do the same with v1.0.1 to v1.0.2 when needed, probably depends on how many things it breaks. By then maybe Slacko 7 (14.2) will be stable anyway.

You can help test and debug Slacko 7 Beta here right now: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017
Sailor,

As I had mentioned in my answer to Peebee, I am solving the problem of trying to stay on top of critical updates (on my end) by forcing myself & everyone in the family to move onto his Slacko-versions...for the very reason Peebee noted to me in his thread. All last night and today, I stuck Peebee's/Micko's LxPupSC Slacko 16.101R on the rest of the family's usb sticks they grab (setting up Firefox's correctly, especially in about:config, taking stuff out, and adding other things particular to that family member). That way, I have a better chance of knowing there stuff is up-to-date with the Slacko 14.2 repo enabled.

The 2nd way I--for my own personal use--- am handling this is by sticking with the fantastic DebianDog/XenialDog pups from Fred (and Toni) & also the Barry/Slavvo's Quirky 8.0 stuff (Slavvo compiles the lastest security updates and uploads them quickly, from what I've seen). Speaking of the DebianDog/XenialDogs, the gobsmacking easiness of being able to open Synpatic Package Manager, type in any update you're looking for, click and have it hit instantly, downloading & installing, is just wunderbar. It's like having full distros Debian-Jessie-8.5/Fedora-24, which I have used and still use for certain critical things, in a bottle :D

The other pup distros I have (I've an SSD with 28 partitions, all loaded with various pups and big distros that I like to look at & test), well, they will get used (and further tested), but for now the use (for at least the other pups) will be nowhere near like the secure pups above that I mentioned. Among those, I do have a fondness for rg66's creations, as he always creates a nice distro (too many small touches to point out)....thus why I was posting here in the first place wondering what we users of X-Slacko-4.2XFCE should do since the 14.1 vs 14.2 slacko repo thing is already happening

8Geee

#1099 Post by 8Geee »

There are certain bug-fixes that only apply to openssl 1.0.2 versions. The most current authorized openssl 1.0.1 version is U. For 1.0.2 it is J. Recently only openssl 1.0.2I got updated because of an error during migration from H --> I... The J version fixes the error not found in 1.0.1 versions.

Carry On
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

rg66

#1100 Post by rg66 »

I tried to compile openssl-1.0.1u but end up without the libs, not sure what I'm doing wrong. 1.0.1u is in the slackware patches repo, you can dl through PPM.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

mistfire

#1101 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 did you compile the modified whiskermenu source code that I sent to you?

rg66

#1102 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote:@rg66 did you compile the modified whiskermenu source code that I sent to you?
I tried but there are errors so it needs more mods that are above my head.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

mistfire

#1103 Post by mistfire »

thank @rg66. You can try to modify the whisker-menu source code that you recently compiled and apply my proposed line of code or create your own lines of code.

Mike Walsh

#1104 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, all.

I've got a really basic question for y'all. How d'you restart the XFCE desktop? :oops:

I'm running X-Slacko 2.3.2 (which runs - most of the time! - like a dream.)

I don't exactly know what happens. Most of my desktop icons will edit fine; but just occasionally, I'll get the odd one which, when I click on OK after editing the thing, instead of re-appearing on the desktop, the whole thing throws a wobbly. The panel's fine (it's not affected by this) but the background wallpaper and all icons disappear; the desktop flashes alternately black, then grey, for maybe like half-a-dozen times or so.....then settles down to a blank, grey, totally unresponsive desktop.

But the curious thing is that the rest of the system continues to function perfectly.

Fortunately, I've got enough items on the panel's launcher bar, and in the Menu, to run everything as normal. But I'm guessing something in XFCE itself (or perhaps just the window manager ) jibs at having certain entries changed, and decided it's not gonna play ball any longer..!

Any ideas, anybody? (*Pretty please.....with sprinkles on? :lol: )

Mike. :wink:

Moat

#1105 Post by Moat »

Maybe try 'restartwm' or 'wmexit' to black screen (if not ctrl+alt+backspace), followed by 'xwin'...?

'restartwm' works for me on X-Tahr 2.0, anyways.

The desktop flashing gray/black then disappearing sounds like that annoying gvfs-metadata bug!

Bob

Mike Walsh

#1106 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for that, Bob!

I'll remember that in future. The stuff they give on the XFCE forums doesn't seem to apply to Puppy; I tried some of it a while ago, and none of it worked.

If this happens again (I've had to fall back to an older save-folder, and re-work it back to how it should be..! :oops: ), I'll give your suggestion a try. I don't know whether it will, though; X-Slacko is using the older version of XFCE. (4.10, as opposed to 4.12..?)

We'll see. Thanks again!

BTW:- Hadn't heard about the gvfs-metadata thing before. Might do some research on that one...

Cheers.

Moat

#1107 Post by Moat »

Mike Walsh wrote:BTW:- Hadn't heard about the gvfs-metadata thing before. Might do some research on that one...
Yeah, a bit of a bugger for a few of us lately...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... e3ad790506

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 279#936279

I'm going to whip up a simple script that'll kill the process, sleep a second or two, then delete the corrupted gvfs log files. Run it on occasion (just cuz :) ) and before copying/moving/pasting/deleting large or numerous files - when it seems most likely to rear it's ugly head.

Bob

Mike Walsh

#1108 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Bob.

Fair enough. Keep us posted, please! :D

Mike Walsh

#1109 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Bob.

Don't know if this is any use. I found this on linuxquestions.org.

Something along these lines, perhaps (with suitable modifications, of course)?

Code: Select all

$ pkill gvfs-metadata
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
$ pkill gvfs-metadata
Any good? It's an answer to do with this same gvfs-metadata problem in XFCE, so.....

Geoffrey

#1110 Post by Geoffrey »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, all.

I've got a really basic question for y'all. How d'you restart the XFCE desktop? :oops:

I'm running X-Slacko 2.3.2 (which runs - most of the time! - like a dream.)

I don't exactly know what happens. Most of my desktop icons will edit fine; but just occasionally, I'll get the odd one which, when I click on OK after editing the thing, instead of re-appearing on the desktop, the whole thing throws a wobbly. The panel's fine (it's not affected by this) but the background wallpaper and all icons disappear; the desktop flashes alternately black, then grey, for maybe like half-a-dozen times or so.....then settles down to a blank, grey, totally unresponsive desktop.

But the curious thing is that the rest of the system continues to function perfectly.

Fortunately, I've got enough items on the panel's launcher bar, and in the Menu, to run everything as normal. But I'm guessing something in XFCE itself (or perhaps just the window manager ) jibs at having certain entries changed, and decided it's not gonna play ball any longer..!

Any ideas, anybody? (*Pretty please.....with sprinkles on? :lol: )

Try opening Thunar, go to the desktop folder and delete the edit that failed, then on the thunar right click select "Refresh Desktop".

I think that's in that version of xslacko, it sounds like the bug I came across with XFCE 4.10 it was fixed in XFCE 4.12
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Mike Walsh

#1111 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Geoff.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll give that a try, too!

Just like me to be using the older version of XFCE with all the buggy behaviour, ain't it? (*sheesh*)

However, aside from this one annoying little thing, I really like 2.3.2. Runs a treat on ye ancient Dell, it surey does.

Let me pick your brains for a second, if I may? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one.....but I'll ask, anyway.)

Is there any possibility a save-folder from 2.3.2 would run with 3.0?

No biggie if it won't; just curious, that's all.

Mike Walsh

#1112 Post by Mike Walsh »

rg66 wrote:@Marv

Tried X-slacko on my dual core pae lappy and it seems the same as with windows, fan stays on low speed.

Tried X-slacko-non-pae on my pentium M-1.5, fan starts on high then throttles to low and eventually shuts off at idle.
A reply to a very old post (3 1/2 yrs!)

X-Slacko 2.3.2 on a 14 yr old Dell Inspiron lappie with a P4; this has had the latest BIOS upgrade in order to max the shared video RAM, as per 01micko's instructions for using the 'i915.modeset=0' kernel-line parameter for the Intel 82845 graphics chip (dreadful thing; but when it works, it gives an absolutely pin-sharp display..!)

Fan starts off at full-speed; after about 15 seconds, cuts back to low, then throttles off completely. Cuts in & out on low during usage; only time it goes on to high is when I'm running apps under WINE. Par for the course, really.....I'm happy with that.

(Remember, the earlier P4's didn't have the SpeedStep technology...not until Intel introduced the HT models.)

Geoffrey

#1113 Post by Geoffrey »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hiya, Geoff.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll give that a try, too!

Just like me to be using the older version of XFCE with all the buggy behaviour, ain't it? (*sheesh*)

However, aside from this one annoying little thing, I really like 2.3.2. Runs a treat on ye ancient Dell, it surey does.

Let me pick your brains for a second, if I may? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one.....but I'll ask, anyway.)

Is there any possibility a save-folder from 2.3.2 would run with 3.0?

No biggie if it won't; just curious, that's all.

I really couldn't say Mike, version 3.0 was updated to slacko-6 (5.9.3 beta2) and has xfce 4.12 so that's a bonus

change log says

---
fix gvfs-ftp
fix pac-tools
fix xfce4-appearance-wrapper
update remasterpup2
update shutdownconfig
update to bash-4.3.39
update to dbus-1.8.16
update to dbus-glib-0.104
update to firefox-31.7.0esr
update to kernel 3.14.20
update to mtpaint-3.44.93
update to openssl-1.0.2a
update to pburn-4.3.14
update to PPM2
update to slacko-6 (5.9.3 beta2)
update to wget-1.16.3
update to XFCE-4.12.x
update to yad-0.28.1

-----
fix fixmenus
fix icon_switcher
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Mike Walsh

#1114 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Got another interesting one here...!

@Geoff:- D'you remember a while back, when I first installed X-Slacko? I wanted the weather plugin for the panel; tried the one from the repo (which kept trying to restart itself).....and you advised me to use the Carolina one.....which worked perfectly.

I've just installed X-Precise 2.4. Everything was going swimmingly. I'd been tweaking quite happily for about 2 1/2 hours or so, when for no apparent reason, every single item on the panel (with the exception of the Whisker Menu) pulled exactly the same stunt. Crashed, tried to restart, and I got the same window umpteen times for each item.

'X has unexpectedly left the panel. Do you want to restart it (blah, blah, blah...)'

Is there a Carolina 'fix' for the entire panel? :lol: Or is this indicative of a more serious underlying problem? Because I installed X-Precise to a thumb-drive a few months back (this time, it's on the external Seagate); first time round, I never had this problem..!

Okay, I admit I just did a 'quick'n'dirty' install this time, instead of faffing around with the PUI; copied the ISO contents across, and ran Grub4DOS. Always works.

Everything else is working perfectly.....it's just the damn panel! You can work without it; but it's a bit awkward..... :roll: Oh, and adding a new panel doesn't make a scrap of difference; the instant you try to add anything to it, it's crashing straight away.

Any thoughts?

Moat

#1115 Post by Moat »

Howdy, Mike -
Mike Walsh wrote:Something along these lines, perhaps (with suitable modifications, of course)?

$ pkill gvfs-metadata
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
$ pkill gvfs-metadata
Pretty dern close - I'm running with this below, and with one eye on the task manager and the other on the /root/.local/share/gvfs-metadata directory, it appears to do the trick;

#!/bin/sh

pkill gvfsd-metadata

sleep 5 && rm -rf /root/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
Notice the 'd' in 'gvfsd-metadata' - at least that's the runaway process here on X-Tahr 2.0, AFAICT (hasn't acted up lately).

All's left to then do is drop the shellscript in /usr/bin, make a .desktop file for it in /usr/share/applications, and find a nice, fitting icon to point the .desktop file to. That'll give me quick access to it via menu or panel launcher/button. 8)

Bob