Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 13:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 74 of 80 [1193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 Next
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2016, 08:41    Post subject:  

What an interesting blast. It's clear what this fellow wants. What is he prepared to pay for it all?! Perhaps if he doesn't have the ability (like me) he should post some very polite & brief enquiries, possibly PMs? And learn patience? Or send a cq for a couple of $m to Redmond? No, make that $bn...
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:34    Post subject:  

@belham2: I think openssl v1.0.1u is currently the newest in that branch, and Menu -> Setup -> Updates Manager in Slacko is up to date. v1.0.1v sounds like an unofficial version, or a virus maybe? It's not 2017 yet so no use making future claims about security. When Firefox 38esr support ended, Slackware 14.1 switched to Firefox 45esr, they might do the same with v1.0.1 to v1.0.2 when needed, probably depends on how many things it breaks. By then maybe Slacko 7 (14.2) will be stable anyway.

You can help test and debug Slacko 7 Beta here right now: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2016, 11:48    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
@belham2: I think openssl v1.0.1u is currently the newest in that branch, and Menu -> Setup -> Updates Manager in Slacko is up to date. v1.0.1v sounds like an unofficial version, or a virus maybe? It's not 2017 yet so no use making future claims about security. When Firefox 38esr support ended, Slackware 14.1 switched to Firefox 45esr, they might do the same with v1.0.1 to v1.0.2 when needed, probably depends on how many things it breaks. By then maybe Slacko 7 (14.2) will be stable anyway.

You can help test and debug Slacko 7 Beta here right now: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

Sailor,

As I had mentioned in my answer to Peebee, I am solving the problem of trying to stay on top of critical updates (on my end) by forcing myself & everyone in the family to move onto his Slacko-versions...for the very reason Peebee noted to me in his thread. All last night and today, I stuck Peebee's/Micko's LxPupSC Slacko 16.101R on the rest of the family's usb sticks they grab (setting up Firefox's correctly, especially in about:config, taking stuff out, and adding other things particular to that family member). That way, I have a better chance of knowing there stuff is up-to-date with the Slacko 14.2 repo enabled.

The 2nd way I--for my own personal use--- am handling this is by sticking with the fantastic DebianDog/XenialDog pups from Fred (and Toni) & also the Barry/Slavvo's Quirky 8.0 stuff (Slavvo compiles the lastest security updates and uploads them quickly, from what I've seen). Speaking of the DebianDog/XenialDogs, the gobsmacking easiness of being able to open Synpatic Package Manager, type in any update you're looking for, click and have it hit instantly, downloading & installing, is just wunderbar. It's like having full distros Debian-Jessie-8.5/Fedora-24, which I have used and still use for certain critical things, in a bottle Very Happy

The other pup distros I have (I've an SSD with 28 partitions, all loaded with various pups and big distros that I like to look at & test), well, they will get used (and further tested), but for now the use (for at least the other pups) will be nowhere near like the secure pups above that I mentioned. Among those, I do have a fondness for rg66's creations, as he always creates a nice distro (too many small touches to point out)....thus why I was posting here in the first place wondering what we users of X-Slacko-4.2XFCE should do since the 14.1 vs 14.2 slacko repo thing is already happening
8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2016, 16:56    Post subject:  

There are certain bug-fixes that only apply to openssl 1.0.2 versions. The most current authorized openssl 1.0.1 version is U. For 1.0.2 it is J. Recently only openssl 1.0.2I got updated because of an error during migration from H --> I... The J version fixes the error not found in 1.0.1 versions.

Carry On
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Good God!, by the stars in the sky we are lost!
And into the breach we got tossed!
And the world is comin' on fast! --Florence Welch
rg66

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2016, 02:40    Post subject:  

I tried to compile openssl-1.0.1u but end up without the libs, not sure what I'm doing wrong. 1.0.1u is in the slackware patches repo, you can dl through PPM.
mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2016, 17:35    Post subject:  

@rg66 did you compile the modified whiskermenu source code that I sent to you?
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 01:53    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
@rg66 did you compile the modified whiskermenu source code that I sent to you?

I tried but there are errors so it needs more mods that are above my head.

mistfire

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 03:34    Post subject:  

thank @rg66. You can try to modify the whisker-menu source code that you recently compiled and apply my proposed line of code or create your own lines of code.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec 2016, 11:41    Post subject:  

Hi, all.

I've got a really basic question for y'all. How d'you restart the XFCE desktop? Embarassed

I'm running X-Slacko 2.3.2 (which runs - most of the time! - like a dream.)

I don't exactly know what happens. Most of my desktop icons will edit fine; but just occasionally, I'll get the odd one which, when I click on OK after editing the thing, instead of re-appearing on the desktop, the whole thing throws a wobbly. The panel's fine (it's not affected by this) but the background wallpaper and all icons disappear; the desktop flashes alternately black, then grey, for maybe like half-a-dozen times or so.....then settles down to a blank, grey, totally unresponsive desktop.

But the curious thing is that the rest of the system continues to function perfectly.

Fortunately, I've got enough items on the panel's launcher bar, and in the Menu, to run everything as normal. But I'm guessing something in XFCE itself (or perhaps just the window manager ) jibs at having certain entries changed, and decided it's not gonna play ball any longer..!

Any ideas, anybody? (*Pretty please.....with sprinkles on? Laughing )

Mike. Wink

Moat

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:02    Post subject:  

Maybe try 'restartwm' or 'wmexit' to black screen (if not ctrl+alt+backspace), followed by 'xwin'...?

'restartwm' works for me on X-Tahr 2.0, anyways.

The desktop flashing gray/black then disappearing sounds like that annoying gvfs-metadata bug!

Bob
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:07    Post subject:  

Thanks for that, Bob!

I'll remember that in future. The stuff they give on the XFCE forums doesn't seem to apply to Puppy; I tried some of it a while ago, and none of it worked.

If this happens again (I've had to fall back to an older save-folder, and re-work it back to how it should be..! Embarassed ), I'll give your suggestion a try. I don't know whether it will, though; X-Slacko is using the older version of XFCE. (4.10, as opposed to 4.12..?)

We'll see. Thanks again!

BTW:- Hadn't heard about the gvfs-metadata thing before. Might do some research on that one...

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

Moat

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:24    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
BTW:- Hadn't heard about the gvfs-metadata thing before. Might do some research on that one...

Yeah, a bit of a bugger for a few of us lately...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109211&sid=575c405bc49764b9b8f3f7e3ad790506

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=936279#936279

I'm going to whip up a simple script that'll kill the process, sleep a second or two, then delete the corrupted gvfs log files. Run it on occasion (just cuz Smile ) and before copying/moving/pasting/deleting large or numerous files - when it seems most likely to rear it's ugly head.

Bob
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 15:07    Post subject:  

Hi, Bob.

Fair enough. Keep us posted, please! Very Happy

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 18:42    Post subject:  

Hi again, Bob.

Don't know if this is any use. I found this on linuxquestions.org.

Something along these lines, perhaps (with suitable modifications, of course)?

Code:
$ pkill gvfs-metadata
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
$ pkill gvfs-metadata

Any good? It's an answer to do with this same gvfs-metadata problem in XFCE, so.....

Mike. Wink

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 19:05    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hi, all.

I've got a really basic question for y'all. How d'you restart the XFCE desktop? Embarassed

I'm running X-Slacko 2.3.2 (which runs - most of the time! - like a dream.)

I don't exactly know what happens. Most of my desktop icons will edit fine; but just occasionally, I'll get the odd one which, when I click on OK after editing the thing, instead of re-appearing on the desktop, the whole thing throws a wobbly. The panel's fine (it's not affected by this) but the background wallpaper and all icons disappear; the desktop flashes alternately black, then grey, for maybe like half-a-dozen times or so.....then settles down to a blank, grey, totally unresponsive desktop.

But the curious thing is that the rest of the system continues to function perfectly.

Fortunately, I've got enough items on the panel's launcher bar, and in the Menu, to run everything as normal. But I'm guessing something in XFCE itself (or perhaps just the window manager ) jibs at having certain entries changed, and decided it's not gonna play ball any longer..!

Any ideas, anybody? (*Pretty please.....with sprinkles on? Laughing )

Mike. Wink

Try opening Thunar, go to the desktop folder and delete the edit that failed, then on the thunar right click select "Refresh Desktop".

I think that's in that version of xslacko, it sounds like the bug I came across with XFCE 4.10 it was fixed in XFCE 4.12

Page 74 of 80 [1193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: