X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#1141 Post by rg66 »

Since Firefox-52.9.0esr is most likely the end of the line, I've been trying palemoon and opera to find a replacement. Palemoon is OK but seems a bit buggy, Opera looks good but haven't been using it long. Any thoughts for the next X-slacko as the default browser?
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

zagreb999

browser

#1142 Post by zagreb999 »

regards rg66
this one is perfect

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-nightly/

ps. you can take xfce 4.13
it is stable

thanks

Marv

#1143 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:Since Firefox-52.9.0esr is most likely the end of the line, I've been trying palemoon and opera to find a replacement. Palemoon is OK but seems a bit buggy, Opera looks good but haven't been using it long. Any thoughts for the next X-slacko as the default browser?
I'm a firm Slimjet convert at this point after dabbling in pretty much everything that is out there. Running OscarTalks 32 bit SFS's on everything from X-Slacko 4.2 through LxPupSc 17.07.25. I've used pretty much every version from 13.0.3.0 (IIRC) up to 15.0.3.0. A SFS/symlinked external profile scheme is totally easy to update, keeps the pupspace clean, and I like the chromium universality with a look and feel a bit more like the olden golden Opera days.

That said, browsers are a hot-button topic and I'm all for a minimal one shipped with the system and users choice once up and running. Will the next X-Slacko adrive? Having the browser and a few other contentious items like Abiword in an easily disabled adrive seems clean from both a maintenance and user configurability standpoint. Whew!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#1144 Post by rg66 »

Hey Marv, long time.

Haven't tried SlimJet yet, will maybe have a look tomorrow. The reason I'm looking for a new browser is this will most likely be the last of the v4 series and want a bit of longevity. FF for gtk2 is over at 45.9.0esr, just found out Opera isn't supporting 32bit as of 46.x. Am currently leaning toward Palemoon, it also has an updater.

As far as Adrive's go, I'm a big fan. But, as this is the last 4.x, I won't be adding new features to this release. Also, if the Adrive is to be done right, as per Jemimah's Saluki, scripts need to be changed so PPM knows what's installed.

Moat

#1145 Post by Moat »

rg66 wrote: Palemoon is OK but seems a bit buggy
Hi rg66 - has this observed "bugginess" been with the latest Palemoon version 27.4.0? It's been very solid/stable for me over the last few days of using. FWIW...

Bob

belham2

#1146 Post by belham2 »

rg66 wrote:Hey Marv, long time.

Haven't tried SlimJet yet, will maybe have a look tomorrow. The reason I'm looking for a new browser is this will most likely be the last of the v4 series and want a bit of longevity. FF for gtk2 is over at 45.9.0esr, just found out Opera isn't supporting 32bit as of 46.x. Am currently leaning toward Palemoon, it also has an updater.

As far as Adrive's go, I'm a big fan. But, as this is the last 4.x, I won't be adding new features to this release. Also, if the Adrive is to be done right, as per Jemimah's Saluki, scripts need to be changed so PPM knows what's installed.

+1!!

P.S. As much fits as Palemoon has been giving me the past 6 months (27.3 and 27.4 are buggy, imho, when it comes to video-intensive and javascript-intensive sites (like news and such)....what choice is left in the 32-bit world? It is basically Palemoon by default.....the other 3rd party 32-bit browsers just aren't there yet (though Slimjet on 64-bit has been something of a revelation to me---too bad the 32-bit version was canned).

SouthPaws

Browsers

#1147 Post by SouthPaws »

Hello all!

I've just been doing a little research myself... (re: browser alternatives)
I would like to suggest/offer the following 2 choices:

K-Meleon (gecko engine)
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/download.php

Opera 12.18 (presto engine)
http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml ... 18&local=y

I realize the opera version is for windows (run in wine mayhaps?) but, the 12.16 versions for linux doesn't have the updates.
12.18 is the last of the species!
[url]http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen.htm[/url]

Elena

#1148 Post by Elena »

I do like latest Palemoon 27.4.02 too.

For the next release, just from my wishlist:

The phlat theme is nice, https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1175851/

Maybe a .SFS for Scribus (the current 1.4.1. is a bit old).

And perhaps if someone could try to install the pip-package from the Package Manager. I failed at installing it (would want some libs, e.g. pip install pillow).

P.S.
Sorry, I knew wishlists are not the kindest way to say thanks. So I do it now: Thanks for X-Slacko, rg66! :)

Pelo

feed back about palemoon linked to palemoon

#1149 Post by Pelo »

feed back about palemoon linked to palemoon (chapter browsers)
Preferences/Content/Video and Uncheck Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE) !!!
Uncheck Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE)

rg66

#1150 Post by rg66 »

I think for now, Palemoon is the only way to go. Most are dropping 32 bit and or gtk-2 support

I tried Slimjet, it's ok, similar to chrome but for a browser that touts add free surfing, it has a lot of spam type bookmarks. Plus, I get a --no-sandbox warning message every time.

Maybe the way of the future is for me to make a 64 bit X-Slacko. That just leaves the gtk-2 issue, has anyone installed gtk-3 and how does it affect puppy?

Sage

#1151 Post by Sage »

64 bit X-Slacko
You are joking??? Could lose a lot of friends! 32bit runs on 64bit HW - the reverse is not true.

belham2

#1152 Post by belham2 »

Sage wrote:
64 bit X-Slacko
You are joking??? Could lose a lot of friends! 32bit runs on 64bit HW - the reverse is not true.

LOL :lol: , as the moving-forward-world drags us old-timers kicking, screaming and yelling into a 64-bit (nee 128-bit) future:

LEAVE US GAFFERS ALONE, YEE CRAZY YOUNG BAST#RDS! :wink:

Moat

#1153 Post by Moat »

rg66 wrote:... has anyone installed gtk-3 and how does it affect puppy?
Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in... but I've had gtk3 installed in X-Tahr 2.0 for a while now (just so I could get these latest Firefox versions to theme properly/consistently with everything else) and notice no system-wide differences - positive or negative - otherwise.

The biggest downside IMHO is the very limited selection of (good) themes that support both gtk2 and gtk3. There's a growing number of 'em out there, of course, but in general I'm not a fan (too flat/dull/simple/bland/eye-straining compared to all of the great, highly-polished gtk2 themes that we're so used to... :( ).

The additional space required for adding gtk3 wasn't too bad, as I (very vaguely) recall (not a deal-breaker for me, anyway). FWIW.

Bob

rg66

#1154 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote: You are joking??? Could lose a lot of friends! 32bit runs on 64bit HW - the reverse is not true.
I said a 64 bit X-Slacko, not only a 64 bit X-Slacko

festus

#1155 Post by festus »

rg66 wrote:...That just leaves the gtk-2 issue, has anyone installed gtk-3 and how does it affect puppy?
I installed, gtk+3-3.8.2 in xslacko-4.2, for basically the same reasons Moat stated, and also as he said, "notice no system-wide differences - positive or negative - otherwise."

It seems like a positive addition to the already fine xslacko.

btw, I vote for palemoon

festus

OscarTalks

#1156 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello rg66,

Browsers are rather a challenge and largely a matter of personal preference. You have the Mozilla derivatives and the Chromium derivatives. Both are now very large and have frequent updates. For this reason it makes sense for a distro to contain only a small browser such as Dillo or Netsurf (which is quite nice and has some javascript support) and allow user to handle large browser selection, but some distro devs don't like this idea and I do sort of understand why.

In terms of Mozilla, there is still Seamonkey as an option. Palemoon offers a good compromise, but a few things are missing including WebRTC support for video chatting. Firefox can still be compiled for GTK-2 and alsa rather than using official builds. I believe the Slackware builds are still compiled this way so you can use those if you don't want to build your own.

Looking at Chromium derivatives, my personal favourite is Vivaldi. The devs seem to know what they are doing. It runs sweeter than any of the others in terminal although initial start-up may take a second or two longer. The UI is different but highly customisable. The 32bit Vivaldi was briefly dropped but re-introduced and it does not need GTK-3 whereas the 64bit version does.

Opera runs better in Slackware than it does in Ubuntu/Debian but keep an eye on it for processes running on after it has been closed (run from terminal to see). I suspect the updater is causing this but can't be sure. Most of these browsers do have "spam" brands in the default speed-dial but I don't think it is anything sinister. With all of these browsers I always modify the main binary with bbe to enable run-as-root and remove the --no-sandbox issue.
Oscar in England

rg66

#1157 Post by rg66 »

Thanks for the response OscarT,

I do want X-Slacko to have basic functionality ootb so a decent browser is a must for me, especially since 4.x won't be updated anymore. So far Palemoon is the one but I'll have a look at Vivaldi as I do like the chromium derivitaves such as opera etc....

Just found with a quick google search that running slimjet with "--no-sandbox --test-type" removes the warning.

edit: Just tried Vivaldi, so far I like it.

rg66

#1158 Post by rg66 »

I've uploaded palemoon-27.4.0.sfs, slimjet-15.0.3.0.sfs and vivaldi-stable-1.10.867.48-1.i386.sfs to the repo.

edit: added firefox-45.9.0esr.sfs and gimp-2.8.22.sfs

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/sfs/

Mike Walsh

#1159 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, rg66. Need a bit of advice on a rather odd occurrence.

Basically, I've restored X-Slacko 232 from a back-up, after some experimentation which I just knew would 'break' things (it did).....and now 232 can't see any network interfaces of any kind. Even the in-built list of modules has gone AWOL.

I've tried this with half-a-dozen or so backups, taken at two-monthly intervals over the last year or so. 232 was working perfectly when each backup was made, yet they're all displaying the same behaviour.

See here for further details. Any ideas? TIA.

Mike. :wink:

Marv

#1160 Post by Marv »

Hi Mike,

Is this a frugal install? If it is, is there any chance that it is finding the zdrv from the (kernel juggling? IIRC? that broke it?) instead of the correct zdrv if that other zdrv is still about somewhere? That's a reach but it would explain all of the restores breaking in the same way. Maybe you could beef up the kernel params to limit the search. I was following the other thread and almost replied there but...

I thought I had the corner on oddities :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.