X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#1171 Post by rg66 »

belham2, I normally use a savefolder but I just tried from frugal ram and had no problem making an ext4 savefile.

Haven't had any thunar issues either, I've noticed before that thunar will lock an ntfs partition as read only if it needs chkdsk to be run from win comp.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

#1172 Post by Marv »

Morning belham2,
I hadn't done a 'from scratch' boot on this, just an update so I had a go at it. Frugal Grub4Dos install on the Fujitsu S761 above, Directory name in the boot partition is Xslacko_4. Set time and location, connect with SNS, used Palemoon to find the forum and add a bookmark. Reboot, creating a 256Mb non-encrypted EXT2 savefile, extra characters 'test'. Reboot. The savefile exists, is recognized, and all that I set up is present. I've been using it for a couple of days (as an update) with my EXT2 data partition, an external USB 3.0 ssd, an external USB 2.0 hdd, a USB 3.0 32Mb stick, and YASSM share access to my NAS box. No glitches in any. I just created a test folder in the USB stick and owner was root,root and creation and deletion seemed normal. Mounts and unmounts of all seem normal (all of my filesystems are either fat32 or EXT2 at this poinr). The one thing I've noticed is that 4.3 doesn't recognize the O2 sdcard reader in this laptop whereas LxPupSc does. Haven't played with that at all and don't recall if 4.2 did as I haven't had these laptops long. I'm in the new testfolder install now but I'm pretty sure redshift was ok in 4.3 also. I kind of just expect it to be there in all my pups now.

My Grub4Dos menu entry is:

title X-slacko 4.2 with 4.1.31 PAE kernel
uuid 55C4-D026
kernel /Xslacko_4/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable ignore=usb pdev1=sda1 psubdir=Xslacko_4 pfix=copy ipv6.disable=1
initrd /Xslacko_4/initrd.gz

Sorry I'm no help,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

belham2

#1173 Post by belham2 »

Hi rg66 & Marv,

Just got home and sat down with this. So, I did the exact same frugal install, but this time I told it to save the newly created "savefile" to a partition that Thunar wasn't showing with the padlock on it (ironically, I had the padlock on the partition that has ALL the frugal install folders of different pups, ddogs, and other linux stuff---all other partitions showed no padlock).

After it said the savefile was created, I rebooted, and then I immediately went into another pup. Sure enough, this time the "savefile" on the partition was in the parition where I asked it to save. So, I grabbed it, pulled it over into the X-Slacko-4.3 frugal-install folder, and rebooted back up choosong X-Slacko-4.3 (I use grub4dos too, Marv, our entries are nearly identical).

Upon reboot, X-Slacko acted like the savefile had been there all along, loaded it, and asked me no questions and/or popups. So....that tells me I must have some sort of "permissions" snafus going on in that main parition that holds all the other frugal installs and OSes. It's just this is the first it has appeared its ugly head, lol.

Oh well, all is working great now-----why can you see my dual screens immediately, rg, but mistfire & peebee's OSes can never see them???-----always a mystery to me----anyhow, I really love the Slimjet, especially putting the "--silent-boot" option in Startup and I still get a smile that Slimjet will rocket open upon clicking it even before I can let go of the mouseclick. Thanks guys for the responses, and thank you, rg66, as this has always been one of my fav pup distros :wink:

Mike Walsh

#1174 Post by Mike Walsh »

One of my favourite Pups, too.....but it doesn't seem to like the big ol' Compaq's hardware..! (Boo-hoo... *sniff*)

Having said which, 232 has been running with absolutely no dramas on ye anciente Dell lappie for a long time now. Must say summat about the old Intel/AMD graphics hardware argument, I guess.

Mike. :?

Marv

#1175 Post by Marv »

Hi belham2,
Once in a blue moon, IIRC when I was noodling around with some of the early 64b pups, the permissions on my fat32 boot partition would get goofed up. I would notice it first as adding a bookmark etc would fail ( my profiles were on that partition back then). Then I'd see the padlocks. IIRC I could get out of it with a RAM, CD, or USB boot and a thorough filecheck/repair of that partition. It always gave a quite a start though. Now my 'system' haha is spread over enough machines and drives so any one is less important. Mostly by chance, not smart design.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

belham2

#1176 Post by belham2 »

Hi again rg66 & Marv,

Question: I am fed up of dealing with conky. I only want to know what the cpu & memory & swap is doing, and having this available in the xfce tray. Don't want anything on the desktop (like conky). Conky, imho, is overkill for this. In other xfce DE installs I have (though admittedly they are all debian/ubuntu-based, the X-Tahrs and DDogs) I have at my disposal to use XFCE's great "xfce-cpugraph" tray add-on. It is one of the selection of choices when right-clicking the xfce tray and modding it by including your choices when setting up the overall xfce tray. Is there a reason, like maybe it's impossible to compile & include in slacko-based OSes this add-on, that it is not an option in X-Slacko? Thanks for any replies.
Attachments
xfce-cpugraph-Any-possibility-in-X-Slacko-4.3.png
(240.58 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
cpugraph-in-xfce-tray.png
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 897 times

rg66

#1177 Post by rg66 »

@belham2, I pretty much leave xfce4-panel as is (except for a few mods) because I don't usually use add in plug-ins. That being said, I've uploaded a few plugins to the repo (xfce4-cpugraph being one of them).

The weather plugin compiled OK but doesn't show any data. I've uploaded it anyway, maybe it will work for someone in a real country :wink:

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/pet_p ... -X-slacko/

belham2

#1178 Post by belham2 »

rg66 wrote:@belham2, I pretty much leave xfce4-panel as is (except for a few mods) because I don't usually use add in plug-ins. That being said, I've uploaded a few plugins to the repo (xfce4-cpugraph being one of them).

The weather plugin compiled OK but doesn't show any data. I've uploaded it anyway, maybe it will work for someone in a real country :wink:

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/pet_p ... -X-slacko/
Thanks, rg!!

And what do you mean, haha, by a "real country"??? Are you currently somewhere now where that definition is kind of ifffy?

Marv

#1179 Post by Marv »

Morning belham2,
I installed xfce4 CPU Graph using puppy package manager from 4.3. Searched for xfce4 and it was there in the list. Is that what you wanted? Sorry for the shrunken png but it should give an idea.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(216.24 KiB) Downloaded 881 times

mikeslr

xfce plugins

#1180 Post by mikeslr »

Hi belham2,

While working on an xfce4-panel.sfs in order to have Whisker-menu under other Puppies, I used PPM to download all files including plugins I thought might be useful. For the Slacko version, those files were in txz format. I may have used X-Slacko-4.2 during the build process. But that shouldn't deter you from just trying X-Slacko-4.3's PPM for any plugin you may want. Worse case scenario, you should be able to obtain plugins from repos of earlier versions. Slackware is very conservative about making changes. And plugins are just that, plugins -- unlikely to interfere with any actual application on your system; unless, of course, to use the plugin you also have to install some application it's designed to call.

Best, of course, to test first with AutoSave removed.

mikesLr

belham2

#1181 Post by belham2 »

Hi rg!

Saw that you did even more xfce-plugins yesterday (uploaded to your smokey01 pages). Gracias!! Also wanted to tell you, and I don't know how and/or why this has always been the case, but how in heck is frugal bootup so doggone quick with your x-slacko spins? I timed it, then tried a wide swath of all my other frugal pups & ddogs (~25 of 'em) I maintain & keep up, and it wasn't even close. Seriously, IT wasn't even close! With X-Slacko, it's freaking 19 secs from dead-cold off machine-turn on to staring at the fully loaded xfce desktop. Dam#! :shock: The closest competitor(s) are old slacko 5.7, precise 5.7 & racy spins, at ~35-40 secs. But all the other newer pups over the past few years? Sheeez..... My AMD Athlon II X2 2.80GHz, 8GB ram machines (and one i3 laptop 7 years old now) struggle anywhere from ~50 secs to 100+ secs with them all. Just amazing to me. 8) And best of all is using Slimjet as my default browser in X-Slacko, along with using Stemsee/Mike's "--silent-launch" hint feature in Startup, it is like "BAMMM" in your face with the whole setup, lol. I am literally cruising the net in 20 secs from a dead cold start with X-Slacko. This s#cker rocks! Can't believe more people on murga here, who I know must still be using X-Slacko, aren't posting saying "thank you" for updating to this latest spin. It's just us old dinosaurs (marv, mike and me).........the last of the herbivores :wink:

Marv

#1182 Post by Marv »

Just did a clean frugal install of 4.3 on my NAS box as part of testing a new Yassm version. The old savefile had enough patches in it from days of yore so I lost track of what was what and just started over. No data on it anyway, it's just look'n'fee so the setup is pretty fast. At any rate, no problems of any sort on the wired BayTrail desktop running samba and supporting a couple of elderly all-in-one printer/scanners.
# inxi -F
System: Host: X-Slacko Kernel: 4.1.31 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.3.2
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: Q1900M serial: M80-44015700338
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: P1.20 date: 03/25/2014
CPU: Quad core Intel Celeron J1900 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
clock speeds: max: 2415 MHz 1: 2257 MHz 2: 2315 MHz 3: 2148 MHz
4: 1526 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel ValleyView Gen7
Display Server: X.org 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.31
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
mac: d0:50:99:20:e4:05
Drives: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (14.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSA2M160 size: 160.0GB
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 132 Uptime: 11:17 Memory: 116.1/3493.5MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.7

cheers,

rg66

#1183 Post by rg66 »

Thanks for the feedback Marv. I've found a few small bugs so I have decided to do one more 4.xx release and then I'll start playing with Slacko-6.9.9.9

Rodney Byne

Simple scan

#1184 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi to all,

Simple scan in PPM only downloads the sensor files
and has no Menu entry.
Entering whereis simple-scan to Terminal yields no output.

Is there available a full frontend gui for this program.
Thsnks

rg66

#1185 Post by rg66 »

I just installed from ppm and it downloaded lm_sensors-3.3.4-i486-1.txz, net-snmp-5.7.2-i486-2.txz and simple-scan-2.32.0.2-i486-1gv.txz. Menu entry is in Graphic and the gui opens.

rg66

#1186 Post by rg66 »

X-Slacko-4.4 is available for download

This will be the last release of the 4.x series

Download ISO and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/

Download delta and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/delta/

Changelog
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/change_log.txt

belham2

#1187 Post by belham2 »

rg66 wrote:X-Slacko-4.4 is available for download

This will be the last release of the 4.x series

Download ISO and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/

Download delta and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/delta/

Changelog
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/change_log.txt

Hi rg66,

Thanks for 4.4! Had a question about the md5 sum for it. Maybe this pic from smokey's site shows it best:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(230.06 KiB) Downloaded 1854 times

rg66

#1188 Post by rg66 »

Thanks belham2, md5 is right but just didn't change the version number! :oops:

Marv

#1189 Post by Marv »

Updated the 4.3 frugal Grub4Dos install in my Fujitsu S761 i5 based laptop using the 4.3 to 4.4 delta. Delta md5sum correct, nice normal boot, sound, video, wifi, all good. I do use the 4.1.31 kernel across the board on the X-Slackos as my Bay Trails need that for USB support. Since my Pentium M fleet retired I'm non-PAE/PAE/32b/64b agnostic, at least so far as hardware is concerned. Running Slimjet Version 15.1.2.0 from SFS and PWF 4.1 as usual.

Thanks,

rg66

#1190 Post by rg66 »

Xfce-4.12.x running on slacko-6.9.9.9
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(78.64 KiB) Downloaded 1786 times