Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 14:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Barry is calling it quits
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
koulaxizis

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 14:37    Post subject:  

Barry gave too much to the Linux community with his Puppy! And even if there are several skilled developers around here, i really hope that Puppy won't fade without its leader.

Furthermore, i'd like to wish to Barry best of luck and a happy retirement. And a big thank you for all these wonderful Puppy years...

Greetings from Greece,
Christos Koulaxizis

[ Puppy packages | Puppy search ]
vovchik

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 16:47    Post subject:  

Dear Barry,

I thank you for creating that wonderful entity "Puppy Linux'" that. for me, made computing fun, rewarding and instructive again. I hope you enjoy your retirement and also hope that you will still keep an eye on your offspring....

With all good wishes and kind regards,
vovchik
tubeguy

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 17:46    Post subject:  

Barry you have had a sober and steady hand at the helm. Your work has always been appreciated and I am sad to see you stepping down. All the best and good luck with your future endeavours!
eph.zero

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 18:54    Post subject:    

Oh no! I hope Puppy will continue on. I have tried pretty much every distro I can get my hands on, and Puppy is just the best of the lightweight distros. It's very easy to set up, works well on a lot of different hardware, and has a lot of nice custom tools.

I understand the need to move on to other projects, though, so thank you and good luck.
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2013, 22:16    Post subject:  

Dear Barry K.
Anybody can be replaced, there are plenty excellent workers around. But you are on a very short list of people, who successfully implemented ones own original ideas and visions into a practical, working concept. And that will be extremely hard to match. Happy retirement, for as long as it will last...

I have a favour to ask for, on behalf of all those that will continue the work with Puppy Linux: Can you please spend some time now and then, and review and update the documentation of your work with Puppy Linux? It is sadly becoming quite outdated, and what is presented as novel ideas to a possible new user, is not very up-to-date anymore, it's development history.
I mean, when you sit in front of the fireplace after walking the dog, nothing to do, and the only other option is watching the 59th rerun of Lucy Show, so perhaps...? Very Happy

Respectfully Yours,
tallboy

john biles

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 03:14    Post subject:  

Hello Barry,
Speed, full control, no passwords, freedom sums up Puppy Linux. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint and others while nice to visit miss that something only Puppy has. Thank you for providing the soul of TEENpup and now Legacy OS.
The basic fact is what Barry has left behind can be built on for years to come. Legacy OS proves that while the base system can remain the same there's nothing to stop anyone replacing apps with newer versions making the OS usable for a long time in the future. Sometimes building on top of a well proven base has its advantages. Being away from a project frees the mind. Barry you'll be back as you won't be able to help yourself. While it might not be puppy related your ideas and experiments need an outlet. Look forward to seeing what fun you surprise us with in the future.

darry1966

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 03:26    Post subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello Barry,
Speed, full control, no passwords, freedom sums up Puppy Linux. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint and others while nice to visit miss that something only Puppy has. Thank you for providing the soul of TEENpup and now Legacy OS.
The basic fact is what Barry has left behind can be built on for years to come. Legacy OS proves that while the base system can remain the same there's nothing to stop anyone replacing apps with newer versions making the OS usable for a long time in the future. Sometimes building on top of a well proven base has its advantages. Being away from a project frees the mind. Barry you'll be back as you won't be able to help yourself. While it might not be puppy related your ideas and experiments need an outlet. Look forward to seeing what fun you surprise us with in the future.

Yep very true it is amazing how even an old Puppy can still be a very good base for something new you create.
nilsonmorales

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 12:51    Post subject:  

Sad very sad.
Puppy's father leaves the kennel, but his legacy remains with us.
On behalf of the Hispanic community wishes you the best for you and your family.

jpeps

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 17:26    Post subject:  

Time for a new model. If everyone paid Barry $10 for the premium version (the one without a banner ad), at worst there would be a changing of the guard. It's interesting that nobody complains about paying $4.99 for a great app.
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 19:15    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:
Time for a new model. If everyone paid Barry $10 for the premium version (the one without a banner ad), at worst there would be a changing of the guard. It's interesting that nobody complains about paying $4.99 for a great app.

He already ordered a mobile phone for around 300 AUS$
Quote:
I bought one of these! Great specs, and it only cost AU$297, from Harvey Norman. Manufacturer's pages:
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-sp/

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00362

I don't understand what that's crying all about .

Btw : Me doesn't own a Smartphone nor paid for an app in my short live .
Putting up a n environment like redhat or suse needs someone with good connections to a bank !
jpeps

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2013, 21:10    Post subject:  

Karl Godt wrote:
Putting up a n environment like redhat or suse needs someone with good connections to a bank !

Most of that is corporate support plans. A link on a download page or help menu would do it. People are generally happy to support something they like, because they want the developer to keep working for them. Getting rid of a banner ad or getting some added feature is a sufficient motivator.

Considering the user base, Barry should be living on a yacht at this point. Instead, he was worried about getting enough into his checking account to bid on an Edge (Mark Shuttleworth is worth over $500 Million...he gets Barry's contribution).
darkcity

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep 2013, 05:12    Post subject:  

The problem with the current economic model is it makes it hard to live off software development and keep that software open and free for the community. Some companies will use revenue gained elsewhere to pay for development, for example Redhat (support) and Google (advertising and profiling). But in neither case the monies come from open source development.

There are certain ways it can be done, asking for donations, crowdfunding a certain project idea or creating bounties for completion of certain features.

These however require administration, and other support and it then becomes more of a project. Barry always made it clear he did it for fun and steered clear of making it a a "proper" project.

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep 2013, 07:25    Post subject:  

Why have a dog and bark yourself??

Thanks for all your hard work!

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep 2013, 11:22    Post subject:  

Ten years is a long time in Linux terms, and a lot of Linux distros fall by the wayside; I've seen it happen even to ones I thought highly of (like Libranet). Puppy not only hasn't done so but has gone from strength to strength, becoming not only one of the very best distros out there but easily the most lovable.

Barry, thanks for all your hard work and good luck with whatever you do next. I know I speak for a lot of people here when I say I owe a heck a lot to Puppy and hence to your vision and hard work.

Tman

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2013, 01:23    Post subject:  

Barry,

The the first version of Linux I owned was Red Hat back in 1999. But I hardly used it and uninstalled it shortly after. Then in late 2010, I tried Linux Mint which, I thought was pretty nice. Then I tried Puppy Linux, and I must say, I wasn't too fond of the looks. But it was so fast and lightwieght, I was hooked. I figured, that if I spend the time to learn to tweak it, I will have something fast, lightweight and with better looks. Well...I had no idea I would spend so much time "tweaking" Puppy. Even after trying so many various other distros, it was Puppy Linux that I would always come back to and it was with Puppy Linux that I found the motivation to learn about remastering, theme-ing, compiling, etc.

It is still Puppy Linux that I love the most, so a big THANK YOU VERY MUCH! , Barry for all that you've done. It would sad to see you dissappear from the community completely. Perhaps you can start a blog about your new adventures with Arm-gadgets and other interests. Or perhaps you could just pop into the forum every once in a while. Anyhow, whatever you do, I wish you peace, happiness, and fulfillment.

Take care, Barry! Very Happy
Page 2 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: