Barry Kauler announces his retirement from Puppy

News, happenings
KentC

#151 Post by KentC »

Well, being I've used this in the past as a tool to fix Microsoft Windows issues, and this being the one Linux I really enjoy, I also want to say I hope this project NEVER ceases...

I'm taking a different approach then you guys though, see..
Puppy Linux 4.3.1 has been to me, like the de-facto for trial/usage of this OS.

I don't see alot of work being done on that version itself which I think deserves more attention.

It's the only version I'll use and have started a site which is still under construction atm. When it is time to reveal such [that will be soon!] ,
I'll leave it up for anyone looking for help with that version as it's a maze of pages to get a decent working OS with that version.

That's all I can offer to the community, but I'll keep pushing forth.

[I have to, because alot of the files are scattered with no central home or puppy linux 4.3.1 site]

Kent C.

nitehawk

#152 Post by nitehawk »

Puppy 4.31 was a really good version. I enjoy still using it on my oldest computer....
so I look forward to your website, when you get it going.

ac2011

#153 Post by ac2011 »

I'm going to steer clear of any technical comments, but I'll chip in from a psychological/sociological point of view.

Committee or consensus leadership is probably not the way to go. It might work, but I've seen too many committee-based IT projects die out and/or descend into slanging matches to be convinced that it's the way to go here, especially as nobody's being paid and people can just walk away.

As others have noted, Puppy has succeeded because it has one overall leader, whether you call him a benevolent dictator or a lenient father figure. Replacing that person with a group of people is unlikely to work well, in my experience and opinion. Something will be produced, but that something is unlikely to be wonderful.

As Nathan F and others have pointed out, and as Jemimah (Puppeee, Fluppy, Saluki) would no doubt agree, creating and maintaining even a variant of Puppy is a tiring, time-consuming, almost full-time job.

For the best chance of success, you really need someone who has no major time constraints, no children (or adult children), no spouse (or a very understanding one) and an independent source of income. Plus experience, coding skills and a variety of other abilities and traits. And a huge interest in Linux.

That all points to someone older. I think the best chance of Puppy continuing after BK retires is to vote for one single dev/leader with the right skills and experience, and then agree to abide by his/her decisions.

Just my 2c worth.

darry1966

#154 Post by darry1966 »

"As Nathan F and others have pointed out, and as Jemimah (Puppeee, Fluppy, Saluki) would no doubt agree, creating and maintaining even a variant of Puppy is a tiring, time-consuming, almost full-time job."

" I can tell you from the experience of trying dozens of distros, creating my own, looking over the edge and realizing the lonely life of a sole developer, and walking away: open-source is nothing without community. Help create that, and you'll create a host of fellow Linux users."

I hope that helps.

Deacon Joseph Suaiden
Former Big Cheese, Colorwheel OS

Exactly why would you put it all on one person=burnout.

Open source is about the team model.

It is whether you just end up with a lot of talk talk or actually produce something.

Debate is necessary but you need to stop after certain amount of time and implement them or all you have is vapourwear. The CE model can work.