[spontaneously resolved]remaster cd & alpine's "tls" access

Using applications, configuring, problems
jtwdyp

[spontaneously resolved]remaster cd & alpine's "tls" access

#1 Post by jtwdyp »

I'm starting to think Puppy is the best things since sliced bread...

BUT it's vulnerability (to surprise power failures, a two year old problem child suddenly yanking the pretty flash drive out of the family PC, {I was almost done configuring that one. sigh} And of course to my own {sometimes rampant} stupidity.) combined with the little bit of work it takes to get a newly installed replacement, all set up the way I want it. led to my trying the remaster program on the next one I got mostly configured...

By and large, I think I like the remaster cd program. I think I like it a lot. It was almost too easy to remaster the slacko 5.6 that I'd installed to a flash drive, and added a few things, personalized and tweaked the configs. etc until it was almost perfect ... (Plenty good for emergency access to a broken system, I like my recsue tools to be already configured with all my user preferences. Not bad for a personalized portable OS that should do me fine if I'm not at home and using somebody else's PC. And kinda fun to play with in general.)

It wasn't very hard to follow the instructions. It even told me when to look where so that I could restore my mc & alpine config files, plus my highly customized ~/.bashrc & ~/.vimrc files that the remaster program didn't include in the "pristine" version of /root && to preconfigure mine own timezone in /etc...

When I booted the resulting cd, my customizations were all there. Even my modified key bindings in the ~/.jwmrc file and it even had my bookmarks in firefox.

But when I went to check my IMAP inbox, I found that tls couldn't be used "in the current configureation" which meant I couldn't access my mail server without transmitting my password in the clear for all the spammers on the internet to hijack my mail account with...

I made very sure that my ~/.pinerc was identical to the one that works from the keydrive I used to remaster the cd.

I'm not sure if something alpine needed to use tls, didn't make it to the remastered cd, or if it's more to do with some difference between running puppy from a live-cd, and running puppy from a flash drive... All I know is that not being able to encrypt a mail server transaction in alpine, feels just as wrong as wanting to encrypt a credit card transaction and having firefox tell you that https couldn't be used under it's current configuration.

I suppose that the next time I'm at the store with a few buck in my pocket, I could pick up another flash drive, And then see if installing to the flash drive from the remastered cd results in a fully functional copy of alpine...

In the mean time: Has anybody seen this??
Last edited by jtwdyp on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

jtwdyp

#2 Post by jtwdyp »

Now I'm really confused. :? I just found an available SanDisk Flash, And booted the remastered cd again to test if alpine would work right after I install the remastered version to a flash drive.

For the heck of it I wanted to get the exact text of the error message So I first tried again. Only this time it worked. Since I had not yet let this remastered cd save anything, anyplace, I'm a little lost as to why it worked this time, on the same PC???

But it did! Go figure...
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]