Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 22:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
What's the best alternative to Windows 8?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next

What is the best Windows 8 alternative?
Linux Mint
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Ubuntu
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Fedora
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Puppy
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Debian
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
openSUSE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
PCLinuxOS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kubuntu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mageia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OS X
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other, please state below
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total_votes : 21

darrelljon

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep 2013, 08:17    Post_subject:  What's the best alternative to Windows 8?
Sub_title: Heavyweight 64 bit alternative

I've posted about Windows 8 before here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87647
Just got a new laptop that came with Windows 8 and after a few hours of frustrating use, I am looking for an heavyweight 64 bit alternative.
darrelljon

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep 2013, 18:08    Post_subject:  

Just discovered you can't move the user profile to another partition let alone another disk. There are ways involving regedit but no official or supported method. Thanks Windows 8. What a POS.
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep 2013, 19:15    Post_subject:  

Fatdog 64 and Lighthouse 64 are the ones in Puppyland. There may be others.

I think they start off light but can become heavyweight. Depends what you want to do I guess. Hope this helps you a bit.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep 2013, 19:47    Post_subject:  

After struggling still with installing Windows XP drivers (I have the OEM driver cd for XP) on my eeepc 900 so I can sell it monday.

Anything is better than Windows. On my 64bit computers. I am partial to AntiX
64bit 13.1 so I voted other.

Macpup 550 is going on the replacement netbook I bought to replace the eeepc instead of Windows (washes face and hands).

But, I don't game, CAD, or use Skype and could care less if Adobe Flash Player
dies and HTML 5 takes over also.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep 2013, 19:55    Post_subject:  

Fatdog64-621 with the right HD drivers for video card can be more useful out of the box than windows 8 after a week of tweaking,
Fatdog64 will even boot with the crazy EFI 'lockdown' Microsoft attempts, just be-sure to turn off hibernation in Win8 or newer linux drivers will refuse to mount win8 active partions due to a VERY nasty method win8 uses to fastboot. To avoid disk corruption, best to not dual boot, just use a different HD
My Win8 had a oversized harddrive, but I found if you shrink the image first, then direct copy onto a smaller harddrive, windows 8 does not throw a fit like past versions. It now wisely has your 'product' key embedded in firmware at manufacturer. I reduced my win8 active portion to 11G, and after perfecting the backup/restore (at 8G moved to bluray storage) so I fit Win8 into a 60G HD. It complains but for what little use I have for it, works OK.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:40    Post_subject:  

I'm not familiar with the recent 64-bit Puppies but Fatdog was good when I last used it (version 511).

Apart from Puppy, if I had to choose just one 64-bit distro for my machine my choice would probably be one of the RPM-based distros - either CentOS (or one of the spinoffs like Stella) or SUSE, and given the need to choose I'd go for CentOS or possibly one of the other RedHat clones and derivatives such as Scientific Linux. The RedHat derivatives are like Windows NT - a bit retro and perhaps boring but rock stable and they get the job done.

Other people may have been luckier with Mageia than I was - the last time I tried to install it on my machine (a beta version btw) I trashed the MBR and couldn't boot my computer at all.

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Terryphi

PostPosted: Sun 29 Sep 2013, 01:01    Post_subject:  

Linux Mint is the best alternative to everything - but Puppy is fun to play with.
koulaxizis

PostPosted: Sun 29 Sep 2013, 04:40    Post_subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
Linux Mint is the best alternative to everything - but Puppy is fun to play with.

I totally agree!

[ Puppy packages | Puppy search ]
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 29 Sep 2013, 07:41    Post_subject:  

Terryphi wrote:

I'm not going to argue - Mint or CentOS it is then Smile

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
grump

PostPosted: Sun 29 Sep 2013, 20:17    Post_subject:  

darrelljon wrote:
Just discovered you can't move the user profile to another partition let alone another disk. ....

Right-click on 'My Documents', then 'properties', then 'location' and type in where you want the files to reside. It can be another partition (I always have a 'data' partition) or another disk. Repeat for 'My Music', 'My Pictures' etc.

As for the missing start button - try one of the many replacements available. Mine is "Classic Shell".

As for the hidden shutdown, make a new shortcut on the desktop and write a short command like 'shutdown -s -f -t 03' as the command. Put it in the lower right corner of the screen.

I don't have a M$ account and the machine runs very well.

I don't like the metro theme or the lack of small games like solitare (you sort of need the M$ account to download from the M$ Store), but that's no big deal. However, my wife mainly uses the Win8 machine, while I mainly use Puppy (Precise 5.7.1 atm) on this laptop.

Puppy is more high maintenance than Win8 in my experience, in that I have to do more internet searching for solutions to small problems than I do for the other machine.
darrelljon

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep 2013, 07:44    Post_subject:  

Ended up using the following tutorial though not officially supported
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html
works perfectly.
Moving My Documents is not sufficient
linuxbear

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep 2013, 14:46    Post_subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
- but Puppy is fun to play with.

I disagree, Bodhi Linux will outrun Mint or Cent. It runs faster and boots faster on my machines
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 01 Oct 2013, 09:03    Post_subject:  

linuxbear wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
- but Puppy is fun to play with.

I disagree, Bodhi Linux will outrun Mint or Cent. It runs faster and boots faster on my machines

If speed is the main criterion, I agree - Vector, ArchBang and CrunchBang would also be faster than those two, and probably a few others too. However, I'd imagine that if someone could run Windows 8 on their machine, speed wouldn't be a problem when running either CentOS or Mint on the same one.

linuxbear

PostPosted: Tue 01 Oct 2013, 14:57    Post_subject:  

I use Win 7 to connect to machines at work, so my laptop is capable of that. I run Ubuntu/E17 about 80% of the time because Enlightenment (or Bodhi Linux) is very fast. Anything but Unity. I also like Cinnamon for speed, but E17 is a lot faster.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Tue 01 Oct 2013, 18:31    Post_subject:  

Slackware is a good option.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot