Android-x86 developments and issues

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gcmartin

#106 Post by gcmartin »

Question
ARe you asking if there is a way to connect a DTV antenna-tuner to display content on an Android?

The offering you show is an app which will use one of these 2 receivers
  • Audiovox MobileTV Receiver
  • Elgato EyeTV Mobile TV Tuner
to flow some content to the smart device.

But, if I understand the implementation, those are using a specifically tuned antenna to allow display of whatever the broadcasting location is licensed for. This is why you will only see a few of the local programming (TV stations) that the receivers get. The technology is seen in the 1st paragraph, here.

I did see another broadcast option about another US venture to broadcast to mobiles. In fact, as I remember, recently some broadcast content providers had tried to use the court system to shut them down.
Edited: added the Company which is sued for making broadcast content available

Which technology approach are you after?

nubc

#107 Post by nubc »

The second option is more interesting to me, essentially, streaming broadcast TV on computers, tablets and smartphones. I can see how this technology would irk broadcasters and traditional television vendors.
https://www.aereo.com/

nubc

#108 Post by nubc »

Android-x86 4.4 review – first Release Candidate
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/02/17/an ... candidate/
Known issues
- Suspend and resume may not work on some systems.
- The installer can't format ext3 filesystem.
Replicant (Android fork, a free software project)
http://www.replicant.us/

Fairphone: "A seriously cool smartphone that puts social values first"
http://www.fairphone.com/

CyanogenMod: an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android-based firmwares of vendors.
http://www.cyanogenmod.org/
Last edited by nubc on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

#109 Post by L18L »

nubc wrote:Android-x86 4.4 review – first Release Candidate
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/02/17/an ... candidate/
A really worth to read article
Thank you, nubc

nubc

#110 Post by nubc »

Development Release: Android-x86 4.4 RC2
http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-4-4-rc2

jpeps

#111 Post by jpeps »

Update on android devices/touchscreens, etc.

I'm doing programming with no problems right on an Samsung Galaxy Note 8 loaded with Eclipse. I have a case with a bluetooth keyboard that works as well as my laptop keyboard. Re: handwriting, the SPen works as well as pen and paper. Printing: I'm using a Samsung Laser printer that connects with wifi-direct. It doesn't require any wifi connection, and prints everything..handwritten notes, office docs, web pages, etc. Applications: rapid evolution of professional applications. There's an excellent ongoing android programming course for $2 a month that comes with eclipse software. There's a lynx text browser developed for Android with active development with SSL (for gmail), switches for javascript, etc. Formats everything correctly...very fast, no ads, etc.
Impressive <bye>

nubc

#112 Post by nubc »

Android-x86 4.4-r1 (KitKat-x86) 8/08/2014
http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-4-4-r1
The Android-x86.org is glad to announce the 4.4-r1 release to public. This is the first stable release Android-x86 4.4 (kitkat-x86). The 4.4-r1 release is based on the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat-MR1 release). We have fixed and added x86 specified code to let the system runs smoothly on x86 platforms, especially for tablets and netbooks. A live CD ISO [343 MB] is available for download.
I find the versioning system to be confusing. In a recent post, the Android-x86 team announced release of Android-x86 4.4-RC2 (KitKat-x86) 5/20/2014, and now this announcement for Android-x86 4.4-rc1 (KitKat-x86) 8/08/2014. Notice the capitalization of RC in the previous release annoucement.

starhawk

#113 Post by starhawk »

RC (uppercase) probably means Release Candidate -- like a public beta.

r probably means release -- out of beta.

I don't see an rc (lowercase) in that quote.

nubc

#114 Post by nubc »

Acknowledged, no "rc" in latest announcement. I would say the previous announcement was for a Release Candidate, and the latest is for a public release.

nubc

#115 Post by nubc »

I have an ASUS eeePC 4G, 900 MHz Celeron, 4GB SSD. 512MB DDR2. It is currently running Android-x86_4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Despite best efforts, both Chrome and Firefox for Android are spontaneously closing, and thus inoperable. What is the most recent version of Android-x86 that will work well on my eeePC? A primary consideration is the kernel version. I assume that the latest version of Android with kernel 3.0.x might lack retro drivers and be a poor choice of version. But I guess I'll give it a try anyway. The reason I chose to install an older version like Ice Cream Sandwich was that this was the last version of Android-x86 known to have su privileges.

The following OS installation attempts failed: Android-x86_4.4_r3, Android-x86_4.2, Android-x86_4.3, Wary 5.5, Slacko 5.5

And the winners are: Android-x86_4.0, Wary 5.1.1

I'm betting that some of the above failures are because of the placement of GRUB. While Android-x86_4.4_r3 did install successfully, I never saw the GRUB boot screen. Just got a white screen, some text, and then halted at command prompt. Any opinions or suggestions?
Last edited by nubc on Sun 13 Sep 2015, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

Problems booting the OS after GRUB instal

#116 Post by nubc »

At the end of the installation of Android-x86_4.4, I was asked by the installer, Do I want it to install GRUB now. I clicked Yes. But the OS did not boot after restarting, despite its report that Android successfully installed, which is disappointing because this project was specifically intended for the eeePC. (It is noteworthy to mention that neither 4.4 nor 4.2 would run as live CD, but instead halt on inability to find files. BUT, Android did successfully install--just wouldn't boot.) Is there another way to install GRUB after Android-x86 finishes installing? Can I install GRUB from a Puppy live CD to accomplish this purpose?

nubc

#117 Post by nubc »

I'm making some progress, if only to eliminate possibilities. After much thrashing about, here is GRUB Menu.lst

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Android-x86 4.4 r3 KitKat (on /dev/sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /android-4.4-r3/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0
  androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android-4.4-r3
  initrd /android-4.4-r3/initrd.img
# Linux bootable partition config ends
and here is the failed start of Android-x86_4.4_r3

Starting up...
early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... No relocation needed... done
Booting the kernel.
Detecting Android_x86...............................................................................................................          
......................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................
Next step, I'll try to install Android-x86 4.2 Jelly Bean. Probably get the same result.

EDIT: What is this doing?

quiet root=/dev/ram0

amigo

#118 Post by amigo »

'quiet' suppresses loads of messages while booting which may give you clues to what is happening. 'root=??' tells it where to look for the root filesystem -which may be an initrd or image which does needed stuff before mounting the 'real' root filesystem.

nubc

#119 Post by nubc »

Announcement: Android-86 Project has partnered with Remix OS
http://www.android-x86.org/changelog/partnership

http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc/announcement

I wonder if either of these projects have implemented hardwire or USB dongle ethernet connectivity.
Last edited by nubc on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 09:34, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#120 Post by Semme »

Flipping through "Groups" postings appears to be a "hit or miss" affair.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

gcmartin

#121 Post by gcmartin »

The March 1st announcement can be found here. Notice the main page has changed.

The torrents run fast and are smooth for downloading.

Assuming you have/use a smartPhone/smartTablet, and if you have a touch PC, you will find little difference in operations.

This is merely an OS, like any other, but its internal design is what sets it apart from other OSes (every OS is distinctly different in operation). That design allows anyone to enhance its standard subsystems with apps from the PlayStore or over the web which are compatible with this Android.

On my HP touch laptop, its smooth and fast ... typical for Androids. No issues as yet.

I would encourage anyone who tests/uses this on your PC, that you join their forum community (use your Google ID if you have one). Much is shared and much is learned. Its helpful. If you do not want to join, you can peruse their forum via this link.

Hope this post is helpful

nubc

#122 Post by nubc »

Android-x86-4.4-r5 did not boot on this Dell Precision 390, Core2, 4 GB ram, 2x2T hdd (not RAID). Android-x86 has not booted on my computers since version 4.0. Looks like RemixOS is a preferable adaptation of the project. RemixOS for PC Beta, based on Android-x86-5.1-rc1, booted up fine, with auto-magic hardwire ethernet connectivity!

d4p

#123 Post by d4p »

Just released:

Remix OS v 2.0.102 Beta 64bit and 32bit
- Remix alpha version works fine on my laptop, Beta not working

Phoenix OS v 1.0.4 Beta
- Wifi works fine with this version

Multiboot remix/phoenix/androidx86
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR2MByTvJn8

nubc

#124 Post by nubc »

I booted up Android-x86-5.1-r1 and was prompted to connect to WiFi, otherwise I wouldn't be able to make use of Play Store, and so on. So I was about to complain about the latest Android-86 not supporting hardwire ethernet connectivity and how can a project claim to implement Android-x86 for PC without hardwire ethernet support, when I noticed that I arrived here at Puppy Forum with no wireless connection. So, uh, I guess I am connected by hardwire ethernet, although there is no heading in Settings for Ethernet, just WiFi. It's about time. Consider that I had to sit out Android-x86 from versions 4.1 to 4.4 (KitKat) because it wouldn't boot on a standard Dell desktop, but, finally, version 5.1 is bootable and, as a big bonus, connects by wired ethernet.

nubc

#125 Post by nubc »

Install Google Play services on Remix OS 2.0 Alpha (xda-developers)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/remix/r ... x-t3292087