Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 13:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Android-x86 developments and issues
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 11 [156 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2016, 13:13    Post subject:  

The March 1st announcement can be found here. Notice the main page has changed.

The torrents run fast and are smooth for downloading.

Assuming you have/use a smartPhone/smartTablet, and if you have a touch PC, you will find little difference in operations.

This is merely an OS, like any other, but its internal design is what sets it apart from other OSes (every OS is distinctly different in operation). That design allows anyone to enhance its standard subsystems with apps from the PlayStore or over the web which are compatible with this Android.

On my HP touch laptop, its smooth and fast ... typical for Androids. No issues as yet.

I would encourage anyone who tests/uses this on your PC, that you join their forum community (use your Google ID if you have one). Much is shared and much is learned. Its helpful. If you do not want to join, you can peruse their forum via this link.

Hope this post is helpful

nubc

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar 2016, 10:12    Post subject:  

Android-x86-4.4-r5 did not boot on this Dell Precision 390, Core2, 4 GB ram, 2x2T hdd (not RAID). Android-x86 has not booted on my computers since version 4.0. Looks like RemixOS is a preferable adaptation of the project. RemixOS for PC Beta, based on Android-x86-5.1-rc1, booted up fine, with auto-magic hardwire ethernet connectivity!
d4p

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar 2016, 22:27    Post subject:  

Just released:

Remix OS v 2.0.102 Beta 64bit and 32bit
- Remix alpha version works fine on my laptop, Beta not working

Phoenix OS v 1.0.4 Beta
- Wifi works fine with this version

Multiboot remix/phoenix/androidx86
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR2MByTvJn8
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 08:40    Post subject:  

I booted up Android-x86-5.1-r1 and was prompted to connect to WiFi, otherwise I wouldn't be able to make use of Play Store, and so on. So I was about to complain about the latest Android-86 not supporting hardwire ethernet connectivity and how can a project claim to implement Android-x86 for PC without hardwire ethernet support, when I noticed that I arrived here at Puppy Forum with no wireless connection. So, uh, I guess I am connected by hardwire ethernet, although there is no heading in Settings for Ethernet, just WiFi. It's about time. Consider that I had to sit out Android-x86 from versions 4.1 to 4.4 (KitKat) because it wouldn't boot on a standard Dell desktop, but, finally, version 5.1 is bootable and, as a big bonus, connects by wired ethernet.
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 09:33    Post subject:  

Install Google Play services on Remix OS 2.0 Alpha (xda-developers)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/remix/remix-os/app-install-google-play-services-remix-t3292087
recobayu

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 12:51    Post subject:  

Thank you nubc, now I can download any apps here. Very Happy
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2016, 23:46    Post subject:  

How to download and install Google Play Store on Remix OS for PC (Remix OS forum @ Google Groups)
http://tinyurl.com/z346n5z
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar 2016, 22:28    Post subject: android_pup
Subject description: android_pup

I just wonder:

Is there any version of puppy linux derivative based on "android x86" or "android x86 64bit" or "remix os" ? Has anyone make such a "android_pup" derivative for the PuppyLand ?
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar 2016, 23:17    Post subject:  

No no and no, in that order.

Android is 98+ % incompatible with real Linux.

Azami Chrome Light Pup is as close as it gets... close, but no APKs...

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2016, 17:43    Post subject:  

I agree with @StarHawks "No"s. IMHO, he is explaining that Android's orientation is different from the 1990s orientation of all-point-addressible screen use versus Android's approach.

But on this quote, I am not in agreement. Actually on a rooted device there is abilities.
Quote:
Android is 98+ % incompatible with real Linux.

I would not expect to see an Android coming out of Puppyland unless one of the mainline distros, namely debian/Redhat/Suse/Slackware/Arch, create a pseudo version that Puppy can fall into.

There is a very nice PUP that is oriented toward Google's Chrome OS. That one is @ETP's ChromePUP found on the Puppy Forum. But that discussion is outside of this thread's mission.

Hope this helps

nubc

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2016, 13:39    Post subject:  

Apple iOS is losing market share to Android (as of Feb 2016)
http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/04/apple-losing-market-share-android-gains-influence.html
Quote:
The data gathered by Kantar reflects the changes in market share for iOS, Android, and Windows OS over a period of three months ending February 2016. The data has been compared to the market share held by the three platforms in the same three-month period ending February 2015, showing that Apple has been losing influence year-on-year in China, the US, as well as EU5 (Great Britain, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain). According to Kantar, this is the first time since August 2014 when Apple’s share in China didn’t grow over the aforementioned three-month period. On the contrary, Kantar reports that Apple’s share declined 3.2% to 22.2%, down from 25.4% market share recorded at the end of February 2015. In contrast, the market share for Android in China increased by 3.4% over the same period of time, whereas the Windows platform maintains its 0.9% share. In the U.S., Apple lost 0.5% market share, while the Android platform grew by 3.3% to a total market share of 58.9% at the end of February 2016. Apple seems to have lost some influence in EU5 too, where iOS is down 1.8%. Windows also lost 4.2% market share in the same region, whereas Android OS enjoys an increase of 6.7%, up to a total of 74.3% market share.

two words: price point
James C

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2016, 22:55    Post subject:  

There's been a new release of Remix os for pc.

http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

Quote:
Remix OS for PC Beta Version

Apr 12th 2016

Just some quick testing so far but it seems much more polished than the previous version.
James C

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2016, 23:21    Post subject:  

Needed to find a good photo editor for Android, no Mtpaint...... Surprised
image-2016-04-16.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   56.36 KB
 Viewed   346 Time(s)

image-2016-04-16.jpg

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016, 17:04    Post subject:  

Hi @James C
I wonder if something in the Play-store would match the need?

If so, the app(s) which one runs on their Android smartPhone/smartTablet would match, clearly, with the same app running on ReMix. Something like ES.

The ReMix device sent me is very troublesome and is in severe need of an update. Hope one arrives and hope it works OTA. The original OTA update took over 24hours.

Maybe they will consider some sort of an ISO approach while they sort out their OTA issues.

Quite unimpressed, thus far. SmartDevices (manufacturers) are infinitely ahead of ReMix's current position in user support, IMHO.

Further, for a purchased device and no customer service where you can call someone is a little "off" to me.

nubc

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2016, 11:13    Post subject:  

(6-08-2016) Android-x86 6.0-rc1 is now available for download
http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-6-0-rc1
Quote:
The Android-x86 project is glad to announce 6.0-rc1 release to public. This is the first release candidate for Android-x86 6.0 (marshmallow-x86) stable release.
The 6.0-rc1 release is based on the latest Android Marshmallow-MR2 release (6.0.1_r46). The key features include:
Supports both 32-bit and 64-bit kernel and userspace.
Update kernel to 4.4.12.
Support OpenGL ES 3.x hardware acceleration for Intel/AMD(radeon/radeonsi)/Nvidia(nouveau) chipsets, as well as VMware and QEMU(virgl).
Support OpenGL ES 3.0 via software rendering for other GPUs or no GPU devices.
Support secure booting from UEFI and installing to UEFI disk.
Be able to install to ext4/ntfs/fat32 filesystems via a text based GUI installer.
Upgrading from older android-x86 release is improved. Older release using ext2/ext3 filesystem will be converted to ext4 for better reliability.
Support Multi-touch, Audio, Wifi, Bluetooth, Sensors, Camera and Ethernet (DHCP only).
Auto-mount external usb drive and sdcard.
Support foreign archs (arm / arm64) via the native bridge mechanism. (Settings -> Apps Compatibility)
Page 9 of 11 [156 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: