What PETs work with what versions of Puppy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
anewuser

What PETs work with what versions of Puppy?

#1 Post by anewuser »

I'm a newbie *bares chest with n00b tatoo on it* I would like to ask for help, I just didn't know where to put these doubts and hoped a mod would sort in the proper place. Hope you can help =)

About pets (aka little plugins-extensions-programs that add more functionality to the OS)

1. What does it mean for a .PET to be compiled in a particular OS&revision of that OS to the end user (eg 'compiled in wary5.0' 'compiled in racy 5.25' etc)?

2. Are .PETs interchangeable between puppies? (eg something compiled for Slacko would work on wary?)

3. A .PET compiled on 'puppy4.2.x' would work on Wary5.0?

4. .PETs compiled in a higher revision of a dev line would in a lower revision of that dev line? (eg say revision 5.1 or 5.1.1 or even Wary Puppy 5.2.2's PET would work on wary puppy 5.0?)

Thank you in advance, and here's hoping I made myself clear without repeting myself much.

PD: tiny request? .PET of audacious for wary5.0 please (the ones on the board gave me missing libraries (which I'll post the moment I get a chance) Reason to this is to find a way to play module file formats on linux/puppy. There is no xmplay on linux afaik.

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

Pets should never be assumed interchangeable between versions. Sometimes it works - sometimes not.

An older pet is more likely to work on a newer puppy than the reverse.

When you compile a package, it looks at all the specifics of your OS and builds the program customized for that OS. Simpler programs need fewer specifics than complex ones - so simple stuff tends to be more portable.

jemimah

#3 Post by jemimah »

anewuser

#4 Post by anewuser »

Makes sense all around.

Downloaded pets. Will post back if they work on a wary set up without customizations of any kind.

ty

darkcity

#5 Post by darkcity »

here's some more info-

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pets

@jemimah i've included some of your post there - hope that's cool :arrow:

anewuser

OFFTOPIC

#6 Post by anewuser »

OFFTOPIC @ community
@jemimah
Nope, no go.

Missing libraries (horrible settings for the png btw) http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6590/missingh.png

Log at http://pastebin.com/hC3ak0QB

What would be next besides trying to find the missing libraries? This is on a machine with no internet access, and no hdd (my os and applications are fixed so to speak meaning that I can't add to the current CD more updated files) I bring this up in hope that those libraries (or the files needed could be loaded as pet in the sense that the OS will load from pendrive instead of CD certain files. Wonder if a restart of the current system used in RAM could be used...(for sfs/devx loading)

jemimah

#7 Post by jemimah »

Opps the pet is bad. I will reupload it in a bit.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

I'm a newbie *bares chest with n00b tatoo on it*
Pah :)

We will have you penguinated in no time . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ?p=526#526

Puppy Linux
Immune to Kryptonite
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

anewuser

#9 Post by anewuser »

OT

Found an audacious pet with a -w5.pet on the site (or its repositories, can't find where atm). But the label means it was compiled within wary, whish is the branch I'm using.

Working fine all around.
Phew, finding pets for older setups is difficult even with all the community help.

@lobster I'm really n00b, or I'm too used to windows and its hierarchy system, and it's ways and conceptions...yuk! Slowly getting used to this new naming scheme&hierarchy.

Pelo

Audacious 3.7.2 will run only with Xenialpup 7.0.2 as GTK3

#10 Post by Pelo »

2016 : Audacious 3.7.2 will run only with Xenialpup 7.0.2 as GTK3 needed.
However, our french compiler Medor did a version Audacious 3.7.2 Gtk2 for his Slaxen (Slacko 5.9.3)
Information Medor, by a click

learnhow2code

Re: What PETs work with what versions of Puppy?

#11 Post by learnhow2code »

anewuser wrote:Are .PETs interchangeable between puppies? (eg something compiled for Slacko would work on wary?)
mine are in python, so if you install in tahr they work; but if you install in a puppy without python, you will also need the dev sfs. or python 2, which the dev sfs provides.