Java and Opera Mini

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Java and Opera Mini

#1 Post by nic007 »

I run Opera Mini via an emulator (microemulator). Microemulator.jar opens the emulator and you can then select Opera Mini's .jad file to run the browser. It works fine but can not download or save files. Now, in Windows there is a "trick" to enable this by including the following line to the target area of the shortcut on desktop: D:\windows\system32\java.exe -cp microemulator.jar;lib/microemu-jsr-75.jar org.microemu.app.Main --impl org.microemu.cldc.file.Filesystem org.microemu.examples.fcview.FCViewMIDlet apps\opera-mini-7.0.30567-advanced-en-us.jad
I've tried to make it work in Puppy but can't. Java's executable is in puppy's /opt/java/jre/bin folder. The microemulator.jar file is located in /mnt/sda5/Program Files/microemulator-2.0.4 and the Opera Mini .jad file located in a subfolder called apps. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Well in theory it would be a case of alter the paths to unix /mnt/blah/etc.... but you already thought of that. This stuffs fun and I spent ages doing this with castlevox but going linux to windows.
There will be a problem if your java emulator uses windows only libraries.....I have a space simulator that does that..its a no go then.

Final option...use wine...multi layered emulation...though in that case perhaps opera portable might be a better idea.

mike

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Well in theory it would be a case of alter the paths to unix /mnt/blah/etc.... but you already thought of that. This stuffs fun and I spent ages doing this with castlevox but going linux to windows.
There will be a problem if your java emulator uses windows only libraries.....I have a space simulator that does that..its a no go then.

Final option...use wine...multi layered emulation...though in that case perhaps opera portable might be a better idea.

mike
Hi, Mike Microemulator is a java application as such and runs off Windows and Linux (with installed java) just as well. Running it through wine will not solve the problem because then java will have to be installed via wine too (for that syntax to work, maybe). I use Opera mini specifically to save on bandwith because it goes through Opera's proxy servers where all data are compressed in real time. One saves about 80% on data which is great. Opera portable/mobile is just another version of the standard opera browser and does not save on data usage. Anyhow, it was worthwhile asking and thanks for your input.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

No problem...though I do remember seeing some data compression in the operas I tried...portable and native to linux...but was called opera turbo..I assume thats not the same thing you are after....from what I saw its working with gzipped pages to speed things up.

yes the wine suggestion was just a lengthy workaround... ideally getting the launcher sorted is the solution...java may be nice for programmers but I find it a pain in the arse at times.
mike

edit...actually on a general note bandwidth must be significantly affected by the crud on web pages that now exists.... excessive javascript, flash and unoptimised images really pile on the bytes... filtering of that stuff it worth looking into. Ebay is a mess now... like hundreds of k for a printer friendly(!!!) page is a joke for example.

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:No problem...though I do remember seeing some data compression in the operas I tried...portable and native to linux...but was called opera turbo..I assume thats not the same thing you are after....from what I saw its working with gzipped pages to speed things up.

yes the wine suggestion was just a lengthy workaround... ideally getting the launcher sorted is the solution...java may be nice for programmers but I find it a pain in the arse at times.
mike

edit...actually on a general note bandwidth must be significantly affected by the crud on web pages that now exists.... excessive javascript, flash and unoptimised images really pile on the bytes... filtering of that stuff it worth looking into. Ebay is a mess now... like hundreds of k for a printer friendly(!!!) page is a joke for example.
Mike. The normal Opera allows for very little compression (almost unnoticable). Opera mini does not work with flash but does with java script. If you haven't used it before on desktop, you are missing out on a great thing and one of the world's best kept secrets in terms of data usage. It's also fun to work with and looks nice. Try it!

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Ah its a mobile phone app... so you run it on an emulator like the one I have for mobile phone games (mpp-sdk).... ok pennies dropping.

mike

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Ah its a mobile phone app... so you run it on an emulator like the one I have for mobile phone games (mpp-sdk).... ok pennies dropping.

mike
Yes, but the beauty is that you can run it fullscreen on your desktop instead of on your mobile and it looks great. Super fast too

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Ok it runs in my emulator (mpowerplayer) for what its worth but no full screen :( in my case but it did browse. Agreed this would be very nice for crud infested websites.

So back to your original question.... getting the emulator to allow downloads/connect with the outside world.... perhaps I need to play with it.

interesting stuff
mike

I note they have various versions on the download page...would be nice if there was a native jre build... surely thats poissible...

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Ok grabbed micro emulator and yummy... worked out how to resize.
I will play and if I sus the launch options I'll let you know

regards

Mike

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Ok grabbed micro emulator and yummy... worked out how to resize.
I will play and if I sus the launch options I'll let you know

regards

Mike
Lovely, I've been using it for months with microemulator. Pity can't get it to download files like when using it with windows. Just ask if you need help with the settings.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Ok finally got it running using your command line but with it or simply running as a -jar I get
Message: info: MIDlet requests that the device handle the following URL
click ok nothing happens. Could this be a java permissions/config that needs changing?

By the way the how to get it running is to separate the classpath -cp jars with a colon ':' not a semi-colon ';' in spite of the fact that every website out there gives examples using semicolons even for linux...so much crap information out there its untrue.
Otherwise just adjust all the paths to your linux setup.

I am sure I got stuck before for the same reason...could not get classpaths working..... my anger will disperse soon lol

mike

ok heres my 'working' command to give the idea...

Code: Select all

java -cp /tmp/microemulator-2.0.4/lib/microemu-jsr-75.jar:/tmp/microemulator-2.0.4/microemulator.jar org.microemu.app.Main --impl org.microemu.cldc.file.Filesystem org.microemu.examples.fcview.FCViewMIDlet /mnt/hda3/Moooovies/opera-mini-7.1.32052-advanced-en.jad
i swapped the jars just to prove the colon was working...perhaps devs get a perverse delight from misleading us?

edit..curiously in my other emulator i cant 'protocol not supported' as a opera message...could this be closer?

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Ok finally got it running using your command line but with it or simply running as a -jar I get
Message: info: MIDlet requests that the device handle the following URL
click ok nothing happens. Could this be a java permissions/config that needs changing?

By the way the how to get it running is to separate the classpath -cp jars with a colon ':' not a semi-colon ';' in spite of the fact that every website out there gives examples using semicolons even for linux...so much crap information out there its untrue.
Otherwise just adjust all the paths to your linux setup.

I am sure I got stuck before for the same reason...could not get classpaths working..... my anger will disperse soon lol

mike

ok heres my 'working' command to give the idea...

java -cp /tmp/microemulator-2.0.4/lib/microemu-jsr-75.jar:/tmp/microemulator-2.0.4/microemulator.jar org.microemu.app.Main --impl org.microemu.cldc.file.Filesystem org.microemu.examples.fcview.FCViewMIDlet /mnt/hda3/Moooovies/opera-mini-7.1.32052-advanced-en.jad
i swapped the jars just to prove the colon was working...perhaps devs get a perverse delight from misleading us?
That's the normal message yes, it doesn't work. If one does get it to work a message will appear with a box indicating the download destination. Also, a save file button will appear with the other navigation buttons at the bottom. If you have windows running, try it like explained in the first post. Make sure the name of the opera mini jad file in the code is the same as the version installed otherwise it won't work either. BTW, there is a config file. Mine is located in .microemulator in root. Also if I remember correctly, once that code is entered and it works, it's not necessary to change anything in the config file. But worth a look at the config file. What I'm going to do is, is to make copy of the config file as it is in windows and post it here. Maybe you can make out something that needs to be added. Edit: I've compared the two config files, they are the same. The main thing is to envoke this jsr-75 thingy. Anyways, it's sleep time where I am. I'll check again tomorow. Cheers.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

You mean this which i just found....
I have configured the microemulator to emulate memory card using these options: <extensions> <extension> <className>org.microemu.cldc.file.FileSystem</className> <properties> <property VALUE="/home/foo/OperaMini" NAME="fsRoot"/> </properties> </extension> </extensions>
the command launch line is exactly as I tried so this must be relevant...

mike

ok that was it...working and downloading 100% now.....

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:You mean this which i just found....
I have configured the microemulator to emulate memory card using these options: <extensions> <extension> <className>org.microemu.cldc.file.FileSystem</className> <properties> <property VALUE="/home/foo/OperaMini" NAME="fsRoot"/> </properties> </extension> </extensions>
the command launch line is exactly as I tried so this must be relevant...

mike

ok that was it...working and downloading 100% now.....
Mike, I can't get that command line to work. Please check attachment. Did you include the above in the config file and if so where? So you can confirm that you are able to download files now and save to disk? Thanks
Attachments
microemulator.png
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 1495 times

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Ok its in /root/.microemulator... added befor the closing </config>

<extensions>
		<extension>
	              <className>org.microemu.cldc.file.FileSystem</className>
			<properties>
				<property VALUE="/root" NAME="fsRoot"/>
			</properties>
		</extension>
	</extensions>
Your paths have spaces in the names ...surround with quotes "" or copy yer stuff to somewhere withour spaces.

Yes I can download.... the config above sets the default download folder so files ended up in /root

smug of foxyglove

Mike

mike

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Ok its in /root/.microemulator... added befor the closing </config>

<extensions>
		<extension>
	              <className>org.microemu.cldc.file.FileSystem</className>
			<properties>
				<property VALUE="/root" NAME="fsRoot"/>
			</properties>
		</extension>
	</extensions>
Your paths have spaces in the names ...surround with quotes "" or copy yer stuff to somewhere withour spaces.

Yes I can download.... the config above sets the default download folder so files ended up in /root

smug of foxyglove

Mike

mike
Hi, Mike. Yes, eventually got it to work. I placed the microemulator folder in root, made the necesary changes to the command, added the bit in the config file and directed to my download folder. Thanks for your help with this, much appreciated. Nic

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

You should feel guilty for making me use a weird mini browser.....

Actually me like the microemulator. :)

Perhaps you could make a how too for anyone interested...as you say its a good way to save bandwidth.

Oh and normal ebay is obtained with www.ebay.co.uk/?redirect=mobile

regards

mike

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:You should feel guilty for making me use a weird mini browser.....

Actually me like the microemulator. :)

Perhaps you could make a how too for anyone interested...as you say its a good way to save bandwidth.

Oh and normal ebay is obtained with www.ebay.co.uk/?redirect=mobile

regards

mike
Yes, I'll probably upload the puplet I made to archive.org some time. The distribution will then include microemulator + Opera Mini as well as XMplay (another proggie I want to promote) with proper instructions to set up both. Opera Mini will default to a site's mobi version, if there is one (otherwise the desktop version will open). Generally there will be a switch option available on the webpage itself if you want to switch to the desktop/normal webpage or you can just save the normal webpage as a favourite or whatever rocks your boat.

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

Mike, just thought about another thing. Will it be possible to run Opera Mini without having to click the start button from within microemulator (in other words a command that will open microemulator and run Opera Mini immediately without further input...or another addition to the config file? Thanks

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

hmm that might need some digging at microemulator website.
I assume you have the resizeable screen set as default?

I am being a windows bunny at the mo so if i get chance i will play

mike