Possibilities for Galileo - Intel's Pentium-compatible board

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
raffy

Possibilities for Galileo - Intel's Pentium-compatible board

#1 Post by raffy »

There's recent news about Intel's Galileo, Arduino-compatible development board with Quark system on a chip.

Puppy jumps with joy hearing this because the SoC uses a "single-thread Pentium-based 400MHz CPU".

I don't know what limitation the "single-thread" means, but 400 Mhz was the exact speed of my Pentium Celeron PC when I started using Puppy Linux.

(On the side, if DOS runs on this device, a lot of DOS programs can be resurrected and placed on portable gadgets.)

Given this board, what are the possibilities for Puppy Linux?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

mikeslr

Resurrecting Dos

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Raffy,

As indicated in link I downloaded the Ubuntu deb for dosemu, turned it into an SFS and ran Wordperfect 51 on several Pups, except Carolina (which reported missing libs), Didn't try other Dos programs, but imagine they would run equally as well.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 329#692329

Just thought you might be interested.

mikesLr

Ibidem

Re: Possibilities for Galileo - Intel's Pentium-compatible board

#3 Post by Ibidem »

raffy wrote:There's recent news about Intel's Galileo, Arduino-compatible development board with Quark system on a chip.

Puppy jumps with joy hearing this because the SoC uses a "single-thread Pentium-based 400MHz CPU".

I don't know what limitation the "single-thread" means, but 400 Mhz was the exact speed of my Pentium Celeron PC when I started using Puppy Linux.

(On the side, if DOS runs on this device, a lot of DOS programs can be resurrected and placed on portable gadgets.)

Given this board, what are the possibilities for Puppy Linux?
Single-thread as opposed to hyperthreading (so it doesn't look like a dual-core, unlike any other recent Intel processor)
It's 586, not 686, and it runs Linux standard.
You will need to get a display and display connector; there is no VGA or other display adapter.
In theory, it should run DOS; figuring out the firmware is probably the big issue, but drivers may well be another.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Galileo is a microcontroller board based on the Intel® Quark SoC X1000 Application Processor, a 32-bit Intel Pentium-class system on a chip
If that one does not have the latest advanced power management
then it should be possible to get linux going much more easy
than on the newest chips that need the linux kernel to catch up
on smart power management and that may take time to get going.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though