remastering help needed

Booting, installing, newbie
casanova

remastering help needed

#1 Post by casanova »

hi,

i am a new user to puppy community. I have few issues with remastering the live cd. Here what i want & what i have done correct me if i am wrong.

i need to include the development tools to the live cd so i have extracted the iso image to a directory then downloaded devx_200.sfs & placed in the same directory & i am using mkisofs to generate a new bootable iso image. when i burn the newly generated iso file to cd & it boot's perfectly but i can't see the development tools. gcc & related commands r not working. what might be the problem? i can still see the devx_200.sfs in the /initrd/mnt/dev_ro1.

one more issue is when i need to boot to switch to dos mode using ctrl-alt-f2 or f3 it asks for password. what is the password.

regards,
casanova

John Doe

Re: remastering help needed

#2 Post by John Doe »

casanova wrote:i need to include the development tools to the live cd
How much RAM do you have? They are going to be BIG.

You could remaster with the devx mounted via a IDE-HD or USB Drive boot.
casanova wrote:one more issue is when i need to boot to switch to dos mode using ctrl-alt-f2 or f3 it asks for password. what is the password
That's not DOS and the password is NULL (just hit enter).

casanova

#3 Post by casanova »

thks for the comments. the blank password works fine.i have 2GB of RAM but still it doesn't get the gcc & other tools.

by the way how do i mount the devx_200.sfs?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

While attempting to install OpenOffice I found that evidently Puppy can't use, or even see, more than 905 MB of RAM. If I understand correctly, this is because something called highmem has not been included in the kernel. I've been researching recompiling the kernel to include highmem but it's going to be a long while before I can try it. My time is limited, the forum has to be kept up and my internet connection has been unreliable lately.

Anyone else want a Puppy kernel with highmem?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

casanova wrote:the way how do i mount the devx_200.sfs?
See "Mount Squash File System on the fly":
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ShellScriptsExamples

Your computer will probably freeze up though, if you are running totally in RAM (I did that before).