[Solved]did I miss something frugal or full intallation?

Booting, installing, newbie
tallboy

#16 Post by tallboy »

jtwdyp, I hope you make it work as intended!
Monsie wrote:tallboy, I think the concern with the ext file system and memory sticks has to do with ext 3 and ext 4 which include the journaling feature.
Monsie, thank you for refreshing my memory! It shows that only two thirds of my brain is gone... :lol:

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

jtwdyp

#17 Post by jtwdyp »

tallboy wrote:jtwdyp, I hope you make it work as intended!
Well the difference has been explained to me... AND I've learned a little more.

When I used the universal installer from a live session of the the downloaded slacko 5.6 iso to install to a Flash drive: The resulting Puppy had an pop-up {yellow} dialog box at shutdown, asking me where to save. This {yellow} dialog offered 3 choices. One of them was to save directly to the Flash partition that the Puppy was installed to. If I selected that, I wound up with what I believe was what rcrsn51 described earlier in the thread as:
a hybrid setup where instead of using a savefile, you save your sessions back into a filesystem on the flash drive.
once you have saved data, that {yellow} dialog is gone. And BTW it is never offered on a new install from a remastered CD.

But once I've installed to a Flashdrive, using either the downloaded slacko 5.6 iso, OR a remastered slacko 5.6 iso, I can copy the files from another slacko 5.6 Flashdrive to clone it (including any customizations) on to the new one.

That is to say I use mc from a Linux NOT running on either Flashdrive to delete everything except "boot.msg extlinux.conf extlinux.sys help.msg help2.msg logo.16" from the target Flashdrive partition, Then copy everything except those same files, from the source Flashdrive to the target.

In the case of the hybrid, one must copy any directories recursively of course. And mc makes that easy :D

And the clone is complete.

I'm think that probably the above list of files to leave unaltered could be shortened to just "boot.msg extlinux.conf extlinux.sys", But I have not tested that yet... I've no need. I have two working hybrid setups. And 4 with slackosave files. All 6 of these make great preconfigured rescue tools. So if I break, or lose one, it's no big deal.

I have even converted one that was using a slackosave file to a hybrid this way. And I also converted a hybrid system to one that uses a standard slackosave.

So tallboy, I think I have managed to make them work as intended... ;)
For which I'm grateful for all the kind help I received from the Puppy Linux forums, Without which I'd still be on square one.

THANKS!
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]