LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Help fix pet

#226 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote: I cannot get the default Firefox 17 or the chromium 33 sfs to create these files properly.
Hi playdayz

In posts below find the lxpup-help pet.

I used yours as the template - but modified it somewhat.

I've used a pinstall to ensure that the desktop file - now called lxpuphelp.desktop - gets installed complete with the " %u"

I've reduced the mimeapps.list file down to just 2 lines

Included yelp for gnumeric

Now works with any default browser - tested ff17 as delivered with Slacko & chromium33 & your ff28 - all work ok.

The only problem I foresee is that the right-clicks option pet also installs mimeapps.list and depending on the order they are loaded each pet will overwrite the others mimeapps.list

If your testing confirms its working OK then I'll add the 2 lines from this fix to the right-clicks pet mimeapps.list so that help will continue to work if the right-clicks option is installed.

Thanks for identifying the need for this improvement - it's a great addition.

Cheers
peebee

p.s. still needs libsoup for abiword help....but maybe only for abiword??
Last edited by peebee on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

playdayz

#227 Post by playdayz »

from p.install:
mv /opt/lxpup/lxpuphelp.desktop /usr/share/applications/lxpuphelp.desktop
I thought the desktop file needed to go to /root/.local/share/applications, but your way is working for me.. Someone one might still be able to mess it up by using Preferred Applications and choosing Firefox from the menu, I am not sure. It is so hard to block every bad move ;-)

And oh yes, gnumeric (yelp) plus mtpaint and Sylpheed all 3 need simple fixes to their help. I just remembered the Sylpheed one, the fix for mtpaint was in the same FF 28 as yelp. I'll try to get the fix for Sylpheed in a moment if I can.

The mtpaint Help is in /root/.mtpaint and in /usr/share/doc/mtpaint_handbook in the FF28 pet

Here is the Sylpheed Help. I know I may be kind of obsessive about Help, but it is a usability feature imho, and I also really hate when users get error messages such as gnumeric, mtpaint, and Sylphhed give when their Help is not present.

And it is my impression that libsoup will be necessary for most of the Help files to work, those that are displayed in a browser anyway., but I could have been wrong about that too That will be easy to test. Anyway LXPup is one of my two go-to distros now.

Does LxPup use the right-clicks pet by don570? I thought it was only for rox--but I guess people can use rox in LxPup.

Peebee's lxpuphelp.pet contains this Sylpheed help.
Attachments
Sylpheed-manual_faq_config.pet
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#228 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:Does LxPup use the right-clicks pet by don570? I thought it was only for rox--but I guess people can use rox in LxPup.
Thanks playdayz

No - the right-clicks pet was put together specifically for lxpup and pcmanfm - I used don570's list as a basis but the mechanism is different.

I've added the bits you've provided for other apps - latest pet (needs the libsoup pet loading) is attached.

Seems to work fine for abiword, gnumeric, geany, mtpaint, sylpheed and any app where a valid link is provided in About.

InkLite doesn't work though - it uses xlink which is an xml linking protocol - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLink

If you run it in a terminal you get:
# inkscapelite
Activated xlink:href="http://www.inkscape.org/"
but nothing happens....

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lxpup_help-1.0.pet
(4.66 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

playdayz

#229 Post by playdayz »

the right-clicks pet was put together specifically for lxpup and pcmanfm
That's great news. don570's right-click is very useful to me--adds considerably to usability. Glad LxPup has one too. Uh, I haven't been able to find it--ok, I'm lazy.

About Inscapelite,. Do you mean the About under Help? It works for me, but I am using the Firefox 28 pet that I posted. I didn't get that error message. Here's my mimeapps.list. I am using 14.03 (slacko-based) which may matter, who knows.

[Added Associations]
x-scheme-handler/http=lxpuphelp.desktop;userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/https=lxpuphelp.desktop;userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/magnet=userapp-transmission-gtk-JMO0CX.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/ftp=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/chrome=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
text/html=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
application/x-extension-htm=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
application/x-extension-html=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
application/x-extension-shtml=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
application/xhtml+xml=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
application/x-extension-xhtml=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;
application/x-extension-xht=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop;

[Default Applications]
x-scheme-handler/magnet=userapp-transmission-gtk-JMO0CX.desktop
x-scheme-handler/http=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
x-scheme-handler/ftp=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
x-scheme-handler/chrome=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
text/html=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
application/x-extension-htm=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
application/x-extension-html=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
application/x-extension-shtml=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
application/xhtml+xml=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
application/x-extension-xhtml=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
application/x-extension-xht=userapp-Firefox-0JOZCX.desktop
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-23_111246.png
(67.1 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times

peebee

#230 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:Uh, I haven't been able to find it--ok, I'm lazy.
Desktop - Change Appearance - Options :)

playdayz

#231 Post by playdayz »

Wow peebee. It is all very slick and polished. I installed the right-click pet first and then my FF 28 pet and libsoup. Everything is working, including Inklite (Add: except the white url at the bottom). I would never say Slacko was not my first choice but you are right there with 'em. 8)

I understand now--I am getting the same results as you. And your method seems more robust--even if someone later installs another browser your method can handle it. I recommend that people use your lxpuphelp.pet and will make notes on my messages. They can later install my Firefox pet if they want that. Right now, I believe LxPup has the most complete Help system in all of Puppydom.

So all people need now is the libsoup plus your lxpuphelp.pet. libsoup is in PPM or this pet http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/libsoup-2.38.1.pet

Marv

Re: Help fix pet

#232 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
If your testing confirms its working OK then I'll add the 2 lines from this fix to the right-clicks pet mimeapps.list so that help will continue to work if the right-clicks option is installed.

p.s. still needs libsoup for abiword help....but maybe only for abiword??
Works great with my external opera as defaultbrowser. I added the 2 lines into the right-clicks pet mimeapps.list manually as I have a few added lines in there also. Libsoup for abiword, lxpuphelp.pet and bingo! Thanks playdayz and peebee.

Running 14.03 daily on the Pentium M. No hitches, no glitches. The core 2 duo is resting :shock:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Help Service Pack

#233 Post by peebee »

Service Packs (c. 1.7Mb) to add Help facilities to LxPup14.03 are available to download.....

LxPup-14.03-s-nopae-sp1.iso service pack creates iso with md5=ea30800758640ac7bde35aa122204f1d

LxPup-14.03-s-pae-sp1.iso service pack creates iso with md5=081e2c90cb3e58d32e0f29513d12a284

The main complete iso downloads will be updated to sp-1 state over the next couple of days as indicated by the upload date

The changes include a new version of lx_right_clicks-0.4 which combines any existing mimeapps.list with the right-clicks definitions. If you have the right-clicks option loaded then it will be best to unload it before upgrading to the new iso.

Cheers
peebee

sszindian

Conky

#234 Post by sszindian »

FYI:

Just in case anyone wants to dress up their desktop a little?

Conkyswitcher-0.02.pet and Conky-1.8.1-486.pet from the Smokey-01 website, Saluki files (and all those nice conky builds that Jemimah had in the switcher) seems work in LXpup-14.03. I have only tried 'KEN' so far but that works as expected... still have to fool with it a bit to get it like I want on the screen but attaching a quick snapshot.

Slight problem disappearing when tray was set to 'go below when not in use' but when set at 'always visible' appears to be working OK.
EDIT: Always visible doesn't keep it from disappearing either... It disappears when you just click somewhere on the desktop... then you have to do a windows-manager to get conky back!

Transparencies work just fine without changing anything.

By the way peebee... very nice puppy you have here!

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
desktop-1.png
(116.09 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

SPPo71

Recent Documents

#235 Post by SPPo71 »

Good work all round, everything works fine in the old zv5329EA HP Pavilion laptop. One small thing I'd like to delete the menu is displayed Recent Documents section. So, how to get it off the menu completely?

peebee

Re: Conky

#236 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:EDIT: Always visible doesn't keep it from disappearing either... It disappears when you just click somewhere on the desktop... then you have to do a windows-manager to get conky back!

Transparencies work just fine without changing anything.

By the way peebee... very nice puppy you have here!

>>>---Indian------>
Hi sszindian

Have you tried the version of Conky built-in to LxPup?

Desktop - Change appearance - Options - Conky

Can you give a link to the Switcher so I can try it??

Thanks
peebee

sszindian

Switcher

#237 Post by sszindian »

peebee wrote:

Have you tried the version of Conky built-in to LxPup?

Can you give a link to the Switcher so I can try it??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm... Nope, sorry, didn't see that one! LX has lots to check out I see.

http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/
(conkeyswitcher-0.02.pet)

NOTE: Some of the conky's in switcher don't display in LXPup but some do, see what you get? Maybe the others can be fixed somehow? Maybe you'll come up with something completely different? :wink: Only problem I see on the ones that work... click on the desktop (anywhere except the tray) and 'Poof' it's gone!!! (Either Right or Left Click) :cry:

>>>---Indian------>

peebee

Re: Recent Documents

#238 Post by peebee »

SPPo71 wrote:Good work all round, everything works fine in the old zv5329EA HP Pavilion laptop. One small thing I'd like to delete the menu is displayed Recent Documents section. So, how to get it off the menu completely?
Ho SPPo71

Editing a hidden system file is needed - recommend you try with a pfix=ram boot before changing your running system.

You need to delete lines 40-45 from
/root/.config/lxpanelx/LXDE/panels/lxpup.panel

and then do a window manager restart

Cheers
peebee

peebee

Re: ConkySwitcher for LxPup

#239 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:Some of the conky's in switcher don't display in LXPup but some do, see what you get? Maybe the others can be fixed somehow? Maybe you'll come up with something completely different
Hi sszindian

Conky Switcher for LxPup

Cheers
peebee

sszindian

Switcher Link

#240 Post by sszindian »

That link (for your new switcher) doesn't appear to be working peebee?

>>>---Indian------>

peebee

Re: Switcher Link

#241 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:That link (for your new switcher) doesn't appear to be working peebee?

>>>---Indian------>
Looks like a Box problem....will probably sort itself...

Also available from

Desktop - Change appearance - Download - conky

or direct link

sszindian

Switcher

#242 Post by sszindian »

OK... your new conkeyswitcher direct-link was good... solved the disappearing problem and works very nice but...

I originally had conky-1.8.1-i486 from the Saluki Repo installed. I deleted that and installed conky-1.9.0 from the PPM. That didn't work? tried another 1.9.0 from a different distro site (also in PPM) and that was a no-go also. Reverted back to the 1.8.1 from Saluki and that works like a charm... No idea why?

'Thanks for the extra work!!!"

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
Desktop-2_2014-03-29_145503.png
(118.54 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times

peebee

Re: Switcher

#243 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:OK... your new conkeyswitcher direct-link was good... solved the disappearing problem and works very nice but...

I originally had conky-1.8.1-i486 from the Saluki Repo installed. I deleted that and installed conky-1.9.0 from the PPM. That didn't work? tried another 1.9.0 from a different distro site (also in PPM) and that was a no-go also. Reverted back to the 1.8.1 from Saluki and that works like a charm... No idea why?

'Thanks for the extra work!!!"

>>>---Indian------>
I recommend to use the conky included in the LxPup14.03 iso as it contains some necessary libraries.....

Install it before installing the switcher

live

#244 Post by live »

I have issues with non US chars, could you please update:

http://www.tuxera.com/community/release-history/

at the same time

http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a ... =Changelog
and recompile players accordingly

Thanks

live

#245 Post by live »

I want to specify that the issue I experience with non US characters is specific to LxPup 14.03 not to Precise 5.7.1