LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#271 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:this leaves lx-autostart as a visible file in .config and maybe maybe finally gets rid of the offending .wh file.
In posts further down is another fix pet to try - it implements Marv's suggestion to keep lx-autostart undeleted, but also works ok if anybody happens to use ctrl-alt-backspace to drop out to the console instead of the Session Control menu item.

Also tested to work ok with the Boot Manager - manage startup apps

Hope this solves chris-w's problems....

[edit]re-uploaded 050514

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 05 May 2014, 08:41, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Chris_W

#272 Post by Chris_W »

Marv, PeeBee,

Thanks you both for all your help and patience! I really appreciate it - I do wonder if these problems happen with others, or just me tho... and whether it's a function of my particular hardware setup (eeepc 701 booting frugal from a cheap usb 4Gig flashstick, formatted fat32).

I commented out the line Marv suggested, and have noted that even after a session this morning on multiple docs, firefox etc, it rebooted fine.

Strangely when I look at it now though, while the root/.config/ folder has both autostart and lx-autostart folders, if I mount the pup save file directly it's version of the root/.config/ folder has only the lx-autostart folder.

I guess this means the autostart folder is in the ram layer of the filesystem... is this what we would be expecting?

Regardless, it does seem to be working.
When I get a bit more time I'll put in your .pet PeeBee.

cheers Chris_W
ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.

Marv

#273 Post by Marv »

Chris_W wrote:Marv, PeeBee,

Thanks you both for all your help and patience! I really appreciate it - I do wonder if these problems happen with others, or just me tho... and whether it's a function of my particular hardware setup (eeepc 701 booting frugal from a cheap usb 4Gig flashstick, formatted fat32).

I commented out the line Marv suggested, and have noted that even after a session this morning on multiple docs, firefox etc, it rebooted fine.

Strangely when I look at it now though, while the root/.config/ folder has both autostart and lx-autostart folders, if I mount the pup save file directly it's version of the root/.config/ folder has only the lx-autostart folder.

I guess this means the autostart folder is in the ram layer of the filesystem... is this what we would be expecting?

Regardless, it does seem to be working.
When I get a bit more time I'll put in your .pet PeeBee.

cheers Chris_W
ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.
The autostart folder should not show up in the save file. It is created from lx-autostart on boot and then any changes made during the run are copied back into lx-autostart on shutdown and autostart is removed. This shuffle is necessary to get lxpanelx up and working. So seems ok on that count.

Retrovol is quite timing dependent. No problems at all on my core 2 duo lappie but dicey getting a clean panel start on the Pentium Ms. In the beginning, I played with timing and also started it with a script, not a .desktop, in /root/Startup. I'm currently using gvolwheel-0.7 from the repository instead and starting it using the .desktop attached in /root/.config/autostart. I like it much better on this old laptop..seems a bit resource lighter, starts cleanly, and lets me switch the default mixer bar from main to pcm easily.
Attachments
volwheel.desktop.gz
example .desktop to start gvolwheel from autostart directory
(121 Bytes) Downloaded 243 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Chris_W

#274 Post by Chris_W »

Thanks Marv,

That's very helpful to understand, and v useful tip re gvolwheel-0.7.
Will give that & the .desktop link a try when I get another chance.

cheers Chris_W

peebee

#275 Post by peebee »

Chris_W wrote: ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.
Hopefully the .pet should cure that - it seems to be some sort of timing problem caused by the time taken to generate the new svg icons in Slacko5.7 - the fix was provided by 01micko and is basically to delay the tray startup by killing any tray processes that have started and then restarting them - but this only needs to happen if autostart was present at bootup time. If you still have problems you could try adjusting the sleeps in z-lxde-startup.sh

As these are timing problems, they manifest differently depending on the overall speed of the pc - the speed of the cpu and the speed of the storage medium.

I've tidied up the logic in the fix pet - no different in functionality - and re-uploaded it with version 050514.

I've tested it on my old and very slow Thinkpad 600e (running frugal install off the internal hard disk) and it behaved as expected.
Last edited by peebee on Mon 05 May 2014, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#276 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote: I've tidied up the logic in the fix pet - no different in functionality - and re-uploaded it with version 040514.

I've tested it on my old and very slow Thinkpad 600e (running frugal install off the internal hard disk) and it behaved as expected.
Version 040514 installed to both 1.6GHz Pentium M laptops (Grub4Dos frugal installs on ide to cf card adapters) and pfix=fsck removed from their LxPup menu items. Both wmrestarting, rebooting, shutting down and starting up fine at this time. The 3 second sleep in z-lxde-startup.sh seems just about optimum for these machines. LxPup is the default OS on both so it'll get tested further.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#277 Post by peebee »

Sorry folks - another tweak - added some extra delay just for initial boot as I got the dreaded retrovol problem on my desktop....a case of it being too quick I think....
Attachments
startup_shutdown_fix-050514.pet
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

peebee

Service Pack 1

#278 Post by peebee »

Service Pack 1 deltas are available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... 20Updates/

FOR TESTING PLEASE before I upload the full isos

Service Pack 1 8-may-2014
Apply these delta files to isos dated 27-mar-2014 - suggest check md5 against Sourceforge first

Changes are:
- updated systray/panel management as discussed above
- openssl updated to version 1.0.1.g
- Slacko patch pet sfs-mgr-patch-1.pet applied

New md5 after applying delta should be:
35525944c5348b598cc08fcb3a21545e LxPup-14.03-s-pae-sp1.iso
bbfbdf9dda53deddac47331b1659a70f LxPup-14.03-s-nopae-sp1.iso

Marv

Re: Service Pack 1

#279 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:Service Pack 1 deltas are available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... 20Updates/

FOR TESTING PLEASE before I upload the full isos

Service Pack 1 8-may-2014
Apply these delta files to isos dated 27-mar-2014 - suggest check md5 against Sourceforge first

Changes are:
- updated systray/panel management as discussed above
- openssl updated to version 1.0.1.g
- Slacko patch pet sfs-mgr-patch-1.pet applied

New md5 after applying delta should be:
35525944c5348b598cc08fcb3a21545e LxPup-14.03-s-pae-sp1.iso
bbfbdf9dda53deddac47331b1659a70f LxPup-14.03-s-nopae-sp1.iso
Non-pae service pack downloaded and applied. Md5 correct. Startup-shutdown pet removed from savefile, reboot with the new .sfs from the iso generated.

Systray files all look and work correctly through a few reboots/wmrestarts etc on the 1.6GHz Pentium M laptop, both from the standard ide/cf card install and from a syslinux install to an older transcend usb stick booted using plop on this machine.

openssl version and openssl version -b still show the following but I believe this is incorrect. How to check?
# openssl version -b
built on: Mon Jan 13 17:47:29 CST 2014
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
sfs-mgr in /usr/sbin updated correctly to version in the patch.

Onward... and a plug for LxPup on this 'middle aged hardware'. Reliable, complete, slacko support, and pretty darn snappy :D

peebee

#280 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:openssl version and openssl version -b still show the following but I believe this is incorrect. How to check?
Hi Marv

Thanks for testing....

On a pristine frugal install I get:

Code: Select all

# openssl version -b
built on: Tue Apr  8 09:00:45 CDT 2014
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
# 
Can you test with a pfix=clean boot? - probably best on a savefile copy.

Thanks
peebee

Marv

#281 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote:openssl version and openssl version -b still show the following but I believe this is incorrect. How to check?
Hi Marv

Thanks for testing....

On a pristine frugal install I get:

Code: Select all

# openssl version -b
built on: Tue Apr  8 09:00:45 CDT 2014
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
# 
Can you test with a pfix=clean boot? - probably best on a savefile copy.

Thanks
peebee
Tested first with pristine frugal (pfix=ram). Get the correct 1.0.1.g openssl version. Then looked in my savefile and indeed there is a version 1.0.0.f openssl though I never installed an openssl pet etc. No changes made to save file. Then rebooted with pfix=clean. Now gives the correct 1.0.1.g openssl version and so far as I can tell the only thing whinged was my panel. Brought back retrovol etc. Fixed that and will continue to run this 'cleaned' savefile and see if anything else is affected. Only pets installed on this system are:

lx_right_clicks-0.3
wifitray-0.4alpha-lx
lidsuspend
vattery_acpitool
ipw2200_firmware-3.1.5
gvolwheel-0.7
simplegtkradio-0.1.16
hplip_print-3.12.10a|
lxpup_help-1.0
libsoup-2.38.1

peebee

#282 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:Then looked in my savefile and indeed there is a version 1.0.0.f openssl though I never installed an openssl pet etc.
Thanks Marv - I too have no idea why openssl gets moved into the savefile.....

Looks like I may have to do a version number increment in order to force an upgrade to occur with existing savefiles. :(

Cheers
peebee

Chris_W

#283 Post by Chris_W »

I see I'm late for the party, but, I've

updated the .iso with the delta
done a fresh frugal install and made sure the new .sfs is being used
created a save file
mucked around with all the stuff that caused me tray starting probs previously
shutdown and restarted a couple of times

I can confirm that this is working very well on an ASUS eeepc 701 4G using the non-pae sp1 .iso

I also checked the openssl.
It's the g version when typing 'openssl version' from the terminal.

The only difference from your results is that I do not appear to have openssl turning up in the save file (in /usr/bin/ )
but of course this is a fresh instal.

I haven't tried to check the .sfs patch as I'm not aware of what the change is on that.

cheers Chris_W

Chris_W

#284 Post by Chris_W »

One thing I forgot to mention:

I do have a problem which I see on this update which was also on the last one: when I try to use Suspend from the Session Control tab, nothing happens (other than a message saying 'Suspending...')
I've noticed on the 14.03 version (not sp1) that suspend does work when the usb frugal install is totally pristine. But as soon as I've done anything much with it, it stops working...

Any ideas?

cheers Chris_W

peebee

#285 Post by peebee »

Chris_W wrote:One thing I forgot to mention:

I do have a problem which I see on this update which was also on the last one: when I try to use Suspend from the Session Control tab, nothing happens (other than a message saying 'Suspending...')
I've noticed on the 14.03 version (not sp1) that suspend does work when the usb frugal install is totally pristine. But as soon as I've done anything much with it, it stops working...

Any ideas?

cheers Chris_W
Suspending is one of those "tricky" areas I think as it depends so much on how the hardware interacts with the kernel via acpi....

You could try running /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh in a terminal and see if there are any error messages....that is all the button on the session control does

cheers
peebee

Chris_W

#286 Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the suggestion PeeBee

I tried that, but gave no error messages (and also did nothing).

On LxPup 13.01 I installed acpitools, which worked pretty well.
I did also try it on this pup, but it started to give kernel panics, so I stopped trying with it. I may try it again tho...

cheers Chris_W

Sage

#287 Post by Sage »

Finally got the PAE + delta running today - it's OK.

Marv

#288 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Chris_W wrote:One thing I forgot to mention:

Any ideas?

cheers Chris_W
Suspending is one of those "tricky" areas I think as it depends so much on how the hardware interacts with the kernel via acpi....

You could try running /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh in a terminal and see if there are any error messages....that is all the button on the session control does

cheers
peebee
Hadn't tried the session control suspend previously but it does suspend correctly even after weeks of mucking about on my Pentium M fujitsu s6210, a pretty much all intel lappie with a non-pae frugal install of 14.03.sp1. No acpi related mods at all except for the lid-suspend pet from options. I'll try it on my core 2 duo lappie when I use it again but I'm pretty certain it will work as the lid suspend also works on that and basically after some tests it just calls suspend.sh. So alas, prolly one of those nasty hardware sticky wickets.

peebee

#289 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote: No acpi related mods at all except for the lid-suspend pet from options.
Thanks Marv - I'd forgotten we had that pet as I don't need to use it on my HP550 laptop - it's in the Show All Options bit of the Options menu or go straight to /opt/lxpup-xtras

ChrisW - can you try the pet and see if it helps?

Cheers
peebee

Marv

#290 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote: No acpi related mods at all except for the lid-suspend pet from options.
Thanks Marv - I'd forgotten we had that pet as I don't need to use it on my HP550 laptop - it's in the Show All Options bit of the Options menu or go straight to /opt/lxpup-xtras

ChrisW - can you try the pet and see if it helps?

Cheers
peebee
Not too optimistic in ChrisW case as calling suspend.sh directly doesn't seem to work for him and that pet doesn't modify suspend.sh but just how it's called on a lid event but it's real quick to try since it's already onboard and won't interact with anything else but lid events if it's left installed.