LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#316 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:But why did not you change the name to avoid conflicts ?
Hi Jejy69

I liked the name :wink: and I considered my versions to be direct "descendents" of your trailblazing LxPup13.01.

I chose month of release naming - so there was no confusion whilst we were in 2013 with 13.10 and 13.11 versions - but then 2014 arrived and 14.02 and 14.03 versions were released - and because you had created your LxPup14 version with more radical departures from traditional Puppy (different pm), this is where some confusion crept in.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

New version 14.07 for testing

#317 Post by peebee »

I've uploaded a 14.07 version of LxPup for testing:

LxPup-14.07-s-nopae.iso

It's based on Slacko6Beta2 (Slacko5.9.3) so is based on Slackware 14.1 components and has kernel 3.4.94 no-pae. (thanks to 01micko)

pcmanfm (and libfm) have been updated to latest version 1.2.1

pup-volume-monitor has been patched to work with the new savefolders (thanks to gyro)

gvfs and menu-cache have also been updated.

I've included the Broadcom wl 223.141 driver and also updated libblkid.so for f2fs partitions (thanks to SFR)

Main changes you will notice are in addition to Slacko6 changes: the trash can on the desktop; partitions no longer display twice in pcmanfm when mounted; sfs/iso/2fs etc. mounting changed

On the last, feedback is requested - there are 3 possibilities as to how sfs/iso/2fs etc. files could be displayed when clicked - in a new pcmanfm window; in a new pcmanfm tab; in a rox window - I've implemented the 1st (a new window) but welcome feedback on whether this is the best option.

LxPup14.07 won't go to release until Slacko6 goes to release so may be 14.08 on release.....or 14.09....or....

I may also update some more components to Slackware14.1 standard before release.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(191.55 KiB) Downloaded 2055 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

Re: New version 14.07 for testing

#318 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:I've uploaded a 14.07 version of LxPup for testing:

LxPup-14.07-s-nopae.iso

It's based on Slacko6Beta2 (Slacko5.9.3) so is based on Slackware 14.1 components and has kernel 3.4.94 no-pae. (thanks to 01micko)

pcmanfm (and libfm) have been updated to latest version 1.2.1

pup-volume-monitor has been patched to work with the new savefolders (thanks to gyro)

gvfs and menu-cache have also been updated.

I've included the Broadcom wl driver and also updated libblkid.so for f2fs partitions (thanks to SFR)

Main changes you will notice are in addition to Slacko6 changes: the trash can on the desktop; partitions no longer display twice in pcmanfm when mounted; sfs/iso/2fs etc. mounting changed

On the last, feedback is requested - there are 3 possibilities as to how sfs/iso/2fs etc. files could be displayed when clicked - in a new pcmanfm window; in a new pcmanfm tab; in a rox window - I've implemented the 1st (a new window) but welcome feedback on whether this is the best option.

LxPup14.07 won't go to release until Slacko6 goes to release so may be 14.08 on release.....or 14.09....or....

I may also update some more components to Slackware14.1 standard before release.

Cheers
peebee
All good here on the Pentium M ipw2200 laptop. Pristine frugal install, Set up new savefile then added in my customizations. Panel now comes up without a mouseclick on boot on the Pentium M 1.6GHz, more what people are used to. Changed to my usual themes and wallpaper ok. Installed rightclicks pet using Menu>Desktop>Change Appearance>Options. Connection using Frisbee fine OOTB. I'll play with the drop wait time later. It's pretty kernel dependent. Set at 15 secs for now. Sound fine OOTB. Added .desktops for my external browsers etc. Simplegtkradio works well. Laptop lid suspend works OOTB.

I strongly favor opening a new pcmanfm window for sfs/iso/2fs display (option 1).

Not much else to say except..

Edit: Just slipped a couple of items into a savefile (another pup in the Grub4Dos kennel) for testing. Really like the new 2fs opening scheme. Makes it much easier to remember what I'm juggling :?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Kernel change easy peasy

#319 Post by peebee »

Wow - that was easy!!

Just changed the LxPup14.07 kernel to k3.14.11-pae as described by 666philb over in the tahrpup thread - see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 482#788482

All you do is download the kernel pack, unpack it, rename the zdrv to be lxpup14.07 compatible and then replace vmlinuz and zdrv - frugal install of course....and reboot

The only problem I foresee is obtaining a compatible devx.sfs for the new kernel - do I use the tahrpup devx in LxPup I wonder hmmmmm....will have to try compiling the new Broadcom 223.248 driver.....yep, that worked

cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Kernel change... Wow

#320 Post by Marv »

Posting from Lxpup 14.07 with kernel 3.15.4 swapped in per above. Indeed easy peasy :!: The 3.15.4 kernel is a PAE kernel but compiled with the patches required to allow booting from the 'PAE but non-PAE flag' Banias Pentium Ms. Of interest to old Pentium farts :? Screenshot attached as proof of pudding. I'm particularly interested in how this pup/kernel handles lid suspend under acpid.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Kernel 3.15.4 in Lxpup 14.07 on Banias Pentium M
(67.42 KiB) Downloaded 1642 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Re: LXQT version

#321 Post by peebee »

cicerosc wrote:Peebee are you working on an LXQT version? Any hope of that?
First attempt at LxQtPup.....

Chris_W

LxPup14.03 vs 13.01

#322 Post by Chris_W »

Hi PeeBee,

I'm currently running LxPup14.03 (along with Quirky Tahr) off some cheap flash usb on my v low clockspeed ASUS EeePc 701 4G (but with 2G RAM).

My intention was to copy my install onto a quicker flashdrive I have once I was happy with it. This quicker flashdrive currently has LxPup 13.01 on it, which has served me very well (good performance, and LXDE can be set up well for my 7" lo-res screen), although I'm aware is no longer being maintained.

I'd always assumed that LxPup14.03 would run more quickly on my quicker flashdrive. However to test this, last night I copied my old LxPup13.01 instal onto a cheap flash drive, exactly comparable to my 14.03 setup.
13.01 starts up quite a bit faster, and is generally a lot less sluggish in operation...

It makes me think that LxPup has plenty of potential for my speed challenged hardware. However I'm wondering - is this general performance difference due to:
1) Different versions of LXDE components (LxPanelX instead of LxPanel, etc), or
2) The way 13.01 appears to have integrated LXDE from the 'ground up', rather than as an addition to standard Puppy... ?

Any thoughts?

In general I'm trying to decide whether I should stick with LxPup14.xx, or whether it's overhead is too much for my hardware, & I should perhaps just go with Slacko & just add PCManFM to it....

Don't get me wrong - I greatly appreciate your work on LxPup - and would love to continue with it...

cheers,

Chris_W

peebee

Re: LxPup14.03 vs 13.01

#323 Post by peebee »

Chris_W wrote:Any thoughts?

In general I'm trying to decide whether I should stick with LxPup14.xx, or whether it's overhead is too much for my hardware,
cheers,

Chris_W
Hi Chris_W

Not many thoughts I'm afraid....AFAIK there isn't much difference in the way that LxPup14.03 is constructed compared to the "original" LxPup13.01 - other than obviously its a different Slacko base and a different kernel.

Perhaps you could run top in a terminal on both your systems and see if you can detect which process is consuming more cpu power? Although I'm not sure what we would then do with the result other than say "thats where its going"....

You may have to stick with the version that works best on your hardware.

Cheers
peebee

gcmartin

Performance of one LxPup version versus its predecessor

#324 Post by gcmartin »

An idea for comparison of distros in the same family.

Boot each Frugal version on same USB via

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
Once on desktop, complete FirstRUN then open a terminal to run

Code: Select all

# free > SystemReport-LxPup13or14.txt
# hardinfo -r >> SystemReport-LxPup13or14.txt
Save each System Report to some permanent media.

There will be a performance report at the end of each report you saved from each LxPup version you did this on.

You can compare the performance numbers by comparing each report. This will tell if there is ANY internal system performance differences and may hint to which subsystem to focus should you discover any real differences.

Hope this helps to take the guesswork or perception out.

Chris_W

#325 Post by Chris_W »

PeeBee, GCMartin,

Thanks for the thoughtful responses! - and quick - much appreciated :o)
I'll have a bit of a think - if running any tests as GCMartin suggests shows up anything that seems useful I'll report it back here. Otherwise, it might just be sticking with 13.01 as you suggest PeeBee.

cheers Chris_W

Volhout

14.07s

#326 Post by Volhout »

Quick check 14.07

Write ISO to USB stick using universal installer (Pendrive).

EeePC1001HA: everything works OOTB. Great.

DELL E6430 (Intel i5): cannot find SFS file during boot. Dropping out. Any idea ?

This is the same USB stick. The SFS fie is there.... Maybe a timing issue ?

peebee

Re: 14.07s

#327 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Quick check 14.07

Write ISO to USB stick using universal installer (Pendrive).

EeePC1001HA: everything works OOTB. Great.

DELL E6430 (Intel i5): cannot find SFS file during boot. Dropping out. Any idea ?

This is the same USB stick. The SFS fie is there.... Maybe a timing issue ?
Hi Volhout

14.07 (beta) is based on Slacko5.9.3 (Slacko6Beta2)

There have been lots of discussion about sfs handling on the Slacko6 thread.

You could wait until Mick issues his next version of Slacko6 and see if the problem remains - or you could try Slacko5.9.3 now on your usb stick and see if it exhibits the same problems as 14.07

There is also a version of Slacko5.9.3 (5.9.3.8 I think) by Shinobar with different SFS handling....

Cheers
peebee

Volhout

SFS handling

#328 Post by Volhout »

OK PeeBee,

Will wait for Slacko 6 release. I will try 5.9.3.8 and report in Mick's thread.

Volhout

peebee

4 beta versions to try and test

#329 Post by peebee »

A quartet of new LxPups to try (all pre-release).....

LxPup-14.08.01-s-nopae.iso based on Slacko5.9.3 with nopae k3.4.94

CompizPup-14.08.01-s6-nopae.iso LxPup14.08 with added Compiz

and then with LXQT instead of LXDE:

LxQtPup-14.08.0-s-nopae.iso also based on Slacko5.9.3

To check sizes and md5 checksums visit:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/

See this post for LxPupTahr 14.09
Last edited by peebee on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 06:09, edited 4 times in total.

B.K. Johnson

What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08

#330 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi peebee
LxPupTahr-14.08.0.iso based on TahrPup5.8.3 with pae k3.14.11

What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08?

B.K. Johnson

peebee

Re: What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08

#331 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:Hi peebee
LxPupTahr-14.08.0.iso based on TahrPup5.8.3 with pae k3.14.11

What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08?

B.K. Johnson
Hi

Nothing really significant - the right clicks option needed a bit of a change and there's a new website for eye-candy downloads. Also Help now displays the correct pages.

Plus there's now the TahrPup flavour as well as the Slacko one.

Cheers
peebee

Gobbi

#332 Post by Gobbi »

Hi , peebee :D

I made a quick frugal install of LxQtPup . It's nice and Qt offers a smooth and pleasant enviroment .
I also gave a try to LxPup-Tahr . I like it even more ...
In LxPup-Tahr I found a missing library makes mtpaint not starting : libtiff.so.4

I stick to CompizPup because of Eiskaltdc++ :wink: .
Thank's for your work :!:
Attachments
LxPup-Tahr-14.08.jpg
(102.08 KiB) Downloaded 538 times

peebee

#333 Post by peebee »

Gobbi wrote:In LxPup-Tahr I found a missing library makes mtpaint not starting : libtiff.so.4
It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-17_071331.png
(100.6 KiB) Downloaded 1921 times

Gobbi

#334 Post by Gobbi »

peebee wrote: It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??
I played again a little with LxPup-Tahr 14.08 , doing the steps I did before to see if mtpaint would start.
It is OK , it works fine but after trying various combinations of what I did last night , I found that on a fresh new start , as soon as I activate Conky - even if it is the first thing I do - mtpaint doesn't start anymore and from the terminal I get the message that mtpaint can not start due to missing library libtiff.so.4

peebee

#335 Post by peebee »

Gobbi wrote:
peebee wrote: It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??
I played again a little with LxPup-Tahr 14.08 , doing the steps I did before to see if mtpaint would start.
It is OK , it works fine but after trying various combinations of what I did last night , I found that on a fresh new start , as soon as I activate Conky - even if it is the first thing I do - mtpaint doesn't start anymore and from the terminal I get the message that mtpaint can not start due to missing library libtiff.so.4
Many thanks - I need to fix the conky pet.....it must be overwriting the link with a non-existent one I suspect....