LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#406 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:The versions of LxPupTahr based on TahrPup6.0-CE are available from: lx-pup.weebly.com

TahrFixes up to 30-oct-2014 are included. Later updates are available via QuickPet in the Setup menu.
Frugal install of non-PAE version to the Pentium M ipw2200 all intel Fujitsu S6230. First pristine, connecting to WPA2 wireless using Frisbee. Sound, video, wireless connection all ok, though with the usual ipw2200 dropouts. Then booted using my 14.10.01 savefile. Everything preserved exactly and static IP connection using PWF 3.2 flawless. One little hitch in that in /root/.pupradio, my previous tel-stations and tel-urls files had dashes so pupradio wouldn't run. Changed them to tel_stations and tel_urls and all is well. In the pristine install, they are created with _ and all is well. Probably part of the bash change. All in all boringly smooth.

Menus and panel updating nicely with your lxpanel_menu_refresh_fix.pet. Haven't checked to see if it is included in 14.10.1, just left it in.

The builtin palemoon :D plays well with my symlink to an external data file. Running Opera 12.16 (portable) and chromium 36 with pepperflash (SFS) also with external profiles.

Next week I'm going to update 2 of my most venerable desktop systems (PIII and Athlon XP) to celeron j1900 motherboards (Bay Trail-D processor). Initially they'll each get LxPupTahr, X-Slacko, and Carolite 1.2 with the 3.17 kernel. Listen carefully for the sound of tearing hair or joyful hoots :)
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

egySTARx

i need to know how to

#407 Post by egySTARx »

Hi, thank you for all your efforts and i need answers to these questions please:

1- how to update lxtahrpup ?
2- how to change between JWM and LXDE ?
3-how to shutdown in certain time like "after 5 minutes" ?

thanks again :)

peebee

Re: i need to know how to

#408 Post by peebee »

egySTARx wrote:Hi, thank you for all your efforts and i need answers to these questions please:

1- how to update lxtahrpup ?
2- how to change between JWM and LXDE ?

Hi

1. - what kind of install do you have? Do you mean how to update once you have installed? See the menu item Setup -> TahrPup Fixes

2. - LxPup is really meant to be run in LXDE mode - why do you want to revert to JWM? Rox filer is available in the menu under Filesystem

3. - no Puppies have this as a standard feature (I think). Again, why do you want to do this? You could make a small script which sleeps for 5 minutes and then calls lx-wmpoweroff
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

egySTARx

#409 Post by egySTARx »

peebee wrote:
Hi

1. - what kind of install do you have? Do you mean how to update once you have installed? See the menu item Setup -> TahrPup Fixes

2. - LxPup is really meant to be run in LXDE mode - why do you want to revert to JWM? Rox filer is available in the menu under Filesystem

3. - no Puppies have this as a standard feature (I think). Again, why do you want to do this? You could make a small script which sleeps for 5 minutes and then calls lx-wmpoweroff
thanks for your reply and all your hard work as I used lxpup for long time and it is working well

1 -my install is frugal and i asked if the system can be updated or something like other standard distro ? :?

and foe my second request, i like lxde so much i just asked to write about it in my blog which is in arabic as puppies are not known well for arabs . :lol:

"lx-wmpoweroff" that what i searched for as i used "sleep 5 && wmpoweroff" and didn't work > :D
so thenk you very much and go on :wink:

666philb

#410 Post by 666philb »

egySTARx wrote:Hi, thank you for all your efforts and i need answers to these questions please

menu >>>system>>>puppy event manager 'power' tab
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

egySTARx

#411 Post by egySTARx »

666philb wrote: menu >>>system>>>puppy event manager 'power' tab
many thanks "666philb" i didn't think of it before :D

profetaxx

#412 Post by profetaxx »

Hi all!

I have LxPup 14.03 installed full on HD. How can I update to 14.10 version?

Thanks!

peebee

#413 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:menu >>>system>>>puppy event manager 'power' tab
Thanks 666philb - you learn something new every day!!

However for this to work on LxPup a small patch to wmpoweroff is needed - the attached pet makes the necessary change.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
wmpoweroff-fix.pet
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#414 Post by peebee »

profetaxx wrote:I have LxPup 14.03 installed full on HD. How can I update to 14.10 version?
Hi

I don't do full installs as frugal installs are much more flexible and easy to upgrade....

I've searched the forum to see if I can find a how-to for you but have drawn a blank which does seem rather surprising....

I think (??) the answer probably is that you need to do a fresh new full install, preserving as best you can your working data and settings.

I'd certainly recommend doing frugal installs in future, particularly with the recent savefolder option.

As this query is not specific to LxPup but is common to all puppies you might get a better answer posting a question in the Beginners Help ( Start Here) section of the forum.

Cheers
peebee

profetaxx

#415 Post by profetaxx »

Hi peebee,

thanks for the answer. I'll post a question in the Beginners Help and if I get a different answer I'll post here.

I think next time I'll do a frugal install... :)

Otherwise, can I do a frugal install in a directory of the partition where I've the full installed and with grub4dos make this bootable? Or I've to do a new partition? Keeping 2 installs (full and frugal) at the same time? Or this is idiot... :)

Bye!

Volhout

howto

#416 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I hope it makes you proud to hear that I most consistently use LxPup over other puppies, simply because the it combines the stability of puppy with a more familiar UI (PCmanFM/LXDE vs. Rox/JWM).

But I also notice that I start customizing LxPup. Many customizations are well supported in rightclicks or menu functions. Some are not so straightforward though. I noticed I was reading through most of this thread to find how I can update the menu, if I add pet's. And still didn't find it. It must be something like "fixmenu" or "updatemenu"....

Since LxPup did not change much since 13.10 (you made many improvements, but from the desktop it looks quite consistent), would it be possible to make a short "howto" ?

Thank you for LxPup, maintaining, sustaining and improving Jeyj69's work.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. I installed LxPup per SFS over Blue pup, and reported in short in the LxPup per SFS thread that major functions do not work. I was told that the reason for that was that JWM is heavilly customized in Blue V6. So I do not intend to follow this path further.

peebee

Re: howto

#417 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote: how I can update the menu, if I add pet's. And still didn't find it. It must be something like "fixmenu" or "updatemenu"....
Hi Volhout

Glad to hear you are enjoying using LxPup....

If you ever want to find the name of a program the Run entry in the menu finds all programs with the search term entered.

In LxPupTahr14.10 there is now lxpanel_menu_refresh which is the command you need but fixmenus will also work as it calls this command

I've been think about making a YouTube video but haven't quite got around to it yet....

Cheers
peebee

profetaxx

#418 Post by profetaxx »

Hi!!

I found it!!

Hehe. I made a directory in / (like /puppy1410) ,copy all files of .iso on it, modify the menu.lst of grub2 adding an entry for the new install changing some dirs ... reboot and... it works!! I've LxPup14.10 running and probing before instaling definitely... and like this I suppose that I can install many others distro. :D :D :lol:

regards!!

egySTARx

#419 Post by egySTARx »

Hi , and sorry for annoying you :cry:

after installing faenza-icon pet http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... t/download
lxpup invironment shows the background only in starting up and doesnt start unless after a mouse click :?
i hope to solve that please

many thanks :)

peebee

#420 Post by peebee »

egySTARx wrote:lxpup invironment shows the background only in starting up and doesnt start unless after a mouse click :?
i hope to solve that please

many thanks :)
Hi

That has been a "feature" of LxPup since early days - it is some sort of timing issue but I don't know how to investigate where the problem is - so it remains a feature.....you have been lucky not to see it previously ;-)

I would imagine that the change of icon set has somehow changed timings on startup, maybe because there are more icons in the set etc.

A click on the desktop is all that is needed to solve this feature.

Cheers
PeeBee

peebee

#421 Post by peebee »

profetaxx wrote:Hi!!

I found it!!

Hehe. I made a directory in / (like /puppy1410) ,copy all files of .iso on it, modify the menu.lst of grub2 adding an entry for the new install changing some dirs ... reboot and... it works!! I've LxPup14.10 running and probing before instaling definitely... and like this I suppose that I can install many others distro. :D :D :lol:

regards!!
Jolly good!!

Welcome to the world of multiple pups ;-)

egySTARx

#422 Post by egySTARx »

peebee wrote: Hi

That has been a "feature" of LxPup since early days - it is some sort of timing issue but I don't know how to investigate where the problem is - so it remains a feature.....you have been lucky not to see it previously ;-)

I would imagine that the change of icon set has somehow changed timings on startup, maybe because there are more icons in the set etc.

A click on the desktop is all that is needed to solve this feature.

Cheers
PeeBee
It's okay i would thank you again and again for your awesome work :)

Marv

Bay Trail-D processor (j1900)

#423 Post by Marv »

Hoots of Joy :D :D :D :D :D

Very preliminary but very very good results using LxPupTahr on an Asrock Q1900M motherboard with a j1900 (Bay Trail-D) 10 watt TDE 2GHz quad core processor with intel 4000HD graphics. It's a USD$75 (with 1Gb memory) upgrade for an OLD micro-ATX Athlon XP system. When I complete both boxes and have other pups checked I'll post to Hardware.

Put the first box together, plugged in a usb stick with syslinux and LxPupTahr (non-PAE) snitched from my laptop and powered up. With NO :!: intervention from me, booted into my std desktop with usb mouse, sound, Mesa 10.13 video (glxgears exactly at frame refresh rate), all sata drives recognized. Wired ethernet set up with Dougal wiz and it's on line. Sata HDD partitioned with GParted, Frugal boot dir copied from USB, Grub4Dos config run, reboot and running off SATA drive.

More hoots :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

BobSongs

#424 Post by BobSongs »

Is there a replacement site for

http://peebee.5gbfree.com/share/lxpup/eye-candy/

tkx!

peebee

#425 Post by peebee »

BobSongs wrote:Is there a replacement site for

http://peebee.5gbfree.com/share/lxpup/eye-candy/

tkx!
Hi

You must be using an older version.....

The new url is:

http://lx-pup.weebly.com/eye-candy.html