LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

Re: LxPupTahr wifi SUCCESS

#436 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote:I could have saved myself the effort by simply asking my wife. She would have patiently reminded me, again, that I don't know my left from my right.
I agree about the Blacklisting screen. Most people would see the Remove button and assume that it removes the driver from their system. It actually removes it from the blacklist.

Better names for the buttons would have been Blacklist and Restore.

luiscuadrado123

#437 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

Hello!!!!!

how to change the function of my Imp-Pant key from my keyboard???

i change the "screenshot" app from mtpaint to hotshot app in the Default Aplications program... but when i press Imp-Pant, steel opening mtpaint...

the people on the Tahrpup 6 Topic say that it could be a problem from the LXDE enviropment

peebee

#438 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello!!!!!

how to change the function of my Imp-Pant key from my keyboard???

i change the "screenshot" app from mtpaint to hotshot app in the Default Aplications program... but when i press Imp-Pant, steel opening mtpaint...

the people on the Tahrpup 6 Topic say that it could be a problem from the LXDE enviropment
See previous answer I gave you:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 593#803593

Change line 305 of /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml

Puppy does not have a "defaultscreenprint" so you can't have changed - mtpaint -s is the best option generally available across most puppies.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-11-17_071357.png
(49.8 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mistfire

Slacko LxPup 14.10 Bugs found

#439 Post by mistfire »

Hi @peebee

Can you fix the following error that I found on Lxpup 14.10 slacko:

* Failed to create puppy save file on NTFS partition
* Mount error message appear the drives are mounted on PCmanFM. While on Pmount the drive is successfully mounted
* Sluggish startup.

I had a suggestions for Lxpup:

* Use midori web browser instead of firefox in order to reduce filesize of lxpup
* Please include Woofy.
* Remove JWM and ROX-Filer
* Remove redudant applications.
* Double-click navigation must be enabled by default.
* More dynamic PPM so we can add addtional repo instead of hard-coded repo.

peebee

Re: Slacko LxPup 14.10 Bugs found

#440 Post by peebee »

mistfire wrote:Hi @peebee

Can you fix the following error that I found on Lxpup 14.10 slacko:

* Failed to create puppy save file on NTFS partition
* Mount error message appear the drives are mounted on PCmanFM. While on Pmount the drive is successfully mounted
* Sluggish startup.

I had a suggestions for Lxpup:

* Use midori web browser instead of firefox in order to reduce filesize of lxpup
* Please include Woofy.
* Remove JWM and ROX-Filer
* Remove redudant applications.
* Double-click navigation must be enabled by default.
* More dynamic PPM so we can add addtional repo instead of hard-coded repo.
Hi mistfire

LxPup is made by adding LXDE components to an existing Puppy build (i.e. currently Slacko6Beta2, TahrPup6.0 and PrecisePup5.7.1)

Therefore all of your problems and suggestions should really be directed to the base Puppy rather than LxPup.

The new "savefolders" cannot be made on an NTFS formatted partition - only on on a Linux formatted. The old "savefiles" can be made on NTFS....

I get no error messages when devices are mounted in PcManFM - what errors are you seeing and with what devices?

Startup is not sluggish for me - I test on my desktop and on my laptop. What are the specs of your machine? And what aspect do you find "sluggish"?

Woofy is specialized utility and can be easily installed from a pet if you need it.

You can easily change to double click activation if you require it but LxPup will always ship with single click as default as it is Linux not Windows.

I will not be removing JWM and Rox nor changing the browser from that provided by the base Puppy. Nor will I be removing any "redundant" applications.....sorry!

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mistfire

#441 Post by mistfire »

Okay, I understand.

Here the specs which the LxPup 14.10 is tested:

NEO BC2EW-102
Intel atom N2600
2Gb RAM

By the way, does the networking feature of PCManFM is enabled?

peebee

#442 Post by peebee »

mistfire wrote:By the way, does the networking feature of PCManFM is enabled?
What kind of "networking" do you want to do?

ftp is done by putting the ftp address into the location bar in PCManFM

samba - use the Puppy YASSM samba tools in the Network menu - the mounted shares will then appear in PCManFM

The gvs-smb backend is not included - this might work (untested):
http://pkgs.org/archlinux/archlinux-ext ... ar.xz.html
Last edited by peebee on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#443 Post by mistfire »

Yes you're right, Both FTP and samba is the networking that im talking about on PCmanFM. Okay I will download that backend.

neilalex

#444 Post by neilalex »

peebee wrote:
Chris_W wrote: Strangely though, I still need to do a mouse click on startup to have the taskbar show up
The mouse click on startup is a known "feature".....

Cheers
peebee
I also experience this behavior, wherein I have to click to show up the panels upon booting up LxPup.

how to remove or disable this "feature" ?

peebee

#445 Post by peebee »

neilalex wrote:
peebee wrote:
Chris_W wrote: Strangely though, I still need to do a mouse click on startup to have the taskbar show up
The mouse click on startup is a known "feature".....

Cheers
peebee
I also experience this behavior, wherein I have to click to show up the panels upon booting up LxPup.

Afraid I don't know - so if anybody has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear - its something to do with the pinboard I think.....

I've learnt to "live with it".....

Marv

#446 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
neilalex wrote:
peebee wrote: The mouse click on startup is a known "feature".....

Cheers
peebee

Afraid I don't know - so if anybody has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear - its something to do with the pinboard I think.....

Ditto here. I tried and tried to no avail. I did put a target on one cow in the wallpaper on one friends machine labeled Click here to enter. :shock:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#447 Post by rg66 »

peebee wrote:Afraid I don't know - so if anybody has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear - its something to do with the pinboard I think.....

Not sure if this will help but your /root/.xinitrc is still starting jwm

Code: Select all

which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec jwm
Maybe something like this

[  $CURRENTWM = jwm ] && exec jwm
or just comment it out because if $CURRENTWM = jwm then that line is redundant.

Doesn't affect X-slacko as I've removed jwm but when building and jwm is still there I have to click the desktop to load xfce4-panel and xfdesktop.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

peebee

#448 Post by peebee »

rg66 wrote:
peebee wrote:Afraid I don't know - so if anybody has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear - its something to do with the pinboard I think.....

Not sure if this will help but your /root/.xinitrc is still starting jwm

exec jwm
Maybe something like this

[  $CURRENTWM = jwm ] && exec jwm
or just comment it out because if $CURRENTWM = jwm then that line is redundant.

Doesn't affect X-slacko as I've removed jwm but when building and jwm is still there I have to click the desktop to load xfce4-panel and xfdesktop.
Many thanks rg66....

I had tried that (commenting out) and it didn't seem to make a difference.

JWM is not showing in the process list so I don't think its starting anyway....

I think its to do with the Rox pin command further up - however if I comment this line out then xwin fails.

It doesn't happen 100% of the time (for me) so its some sort of race condition I think - with problems if Rox? gets in first to claim the screen/pinboard. (speaking with little real knowledge here).

Cheers
peebee

rg66

#449 Post by rg66 »

Ya, I just did a few tests and leaving or commenting out "exec jwm" does nothing. It was the only thing I could think of since you had:

if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
else
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi
commented out which is the most important because if I don't it gives me a half and half desktop.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

peebee

#450 Post by peebee »

Please edit /root/.xinitrc (hidden file) as follows:

line #140 change to

Rox --pinboard=
n.b. capital R important

line #204 comment out

#exec jwm
Please test and report any problems.
Thanks

Marv

#451 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:Please edit /root/.xinitrc (hidden file) as follows:

line #140 change to

Rox --pinboard=
n.b. capital R important

line #204 comment out

#exec jwm
Please test and report any problems.
Thanks
Edits as above. Two reboots tested, no mouseclick required to see panel etc. This on a machine that always required a mouseclick. My only question now is what do I do with the cow with the target on it :lol: I'll continue to use and test on the Bay Trail desktops also.

Edited: Also OK on ASRock Q1900M motherboard system (j1900 2GHz quad core Bay Trail-D processor). No mouseclick required to see panel etc.

Thanks,
Last edited by Marv on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Volhout

LxPup extra icons

#452 Post by Volhout »

Originally made for LxPup13.11, but they may be usefull for some people who uses these programs.
Attachments
simetrix48.png
(6.56 KiB) Downloaded 2123 times
saleae48.png
(7.64 KiB) Downloaded 2128 times
axepad48.png
(7.64 KiB) Downloaded 2125 times
arduino48.png
(7.64 KiB) Downloaded 2119 times
Last edited by Volhout on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

LxPup14.12

#453 Post by peebee »

LxPup14.12 has been uploaded....

This is the Slacko5.9.3 (Slacko6Beta2) flavour of LxPup with the non-pae kernel 3.4.94

Various small tweaks and tidy ups in reaction to comments on the forum - including the recent .xinitrc change.

Main significant change is the addition of the Compton compositor. This is disabled as default but can be switched on using the Boot Manager - Startup Apps or by using the Change Appearance menu. Compton is quite small and adds (optional) transparency, shadows and fading to the desktop environment.

I have been unable to find a GTK2 gui editor for the Compton configuration file so changes to the settings are done by editing the file directly and then restarting the window manager. (the best I have found is xcompton-tools rpm build for : PCLinuxOS but this uses command line switches rather than a configuration file so would need significant development). (There is a Qt based tool for LXQT).

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

Memory

#454 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I know this is not the right forum for the question, but I stumble upon it using LxPup, so that is why I ask here.

The strength of puppy was that everything is in RAM (frugal install), and guess what.... even with browser cache set to 0, running 14.12 with a 512Mbyte save file 3/4 full...I am out of memory.... (If I open my browser with youtube).

This is a 1 Gbyte system.

Is there any alternative other than doing a full install ?

Can I copy my system (including the save file) to a full install ? Or do I have to start virgin, and add all the pets and stuff again ?

Thank you in advance for any tips....

P.S. it was quite confusing to see that some tools like HTOP, Taskmanager, tell me I use only 200 Mbyte....While Top shows me I use 900 Mbyte. It was only then that I realized what was going on.

peebee

Re: Memory

#455 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Is there any alternative other than doing a full install ?

Can I copy my system (including the save file) to a full install ? Or do I have to start virgin, and add all the pets and stuff again ?

Thank you in advance for any tips....

P.S. it was quite confusing to see that some tools like HTOP, Taskmanager, tell me I use only 200 Mbyte....While Top shows me I use 900 Mbyte. It was only then that I realized what was going on.
Hi Volhout

I suspect I'm not the best person to answer as I only ever do frugal installs - never ever done a full install of any Puppy except Quirky!

I would imagine that watching a YouTube video in your browser is pretty memory intensive....but it will depend on which browser and how it has been written to buffer the video....

AFAIK - both frugal installs and full installs load all Puppy programs into memory up to the limit of your available memory. Same goes for any additional SFS or Pets you have installed. If you haven't got enough physical memory and you haven't got a swap space setup then programs will be loaded from disk as and when needed.

So the first thing I would suggest is to setup a swap area on your disk if you have not already done so. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SwapFile may help.

The free command should give an accurate memory usage snapshot. top shows usage in kb whereas htop displays mb.....I think

As for converting a frugal install to a full install - I don't think you should need to do it - but here's an old thread if you do: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49330

Otherwise - suggest you post a query in Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)

This may be useful - Understanding mounts/memory/RAM & filesystems/_save file

Cheers
peebee