LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

#556 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 16gb flash drive, pc is an Asus Eee PC 701SD.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Sun 15 Feb 2015 on LxPup 15.02 Linux 3.4.94 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04)
oem: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 640x480 pixels (169x126 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 900MHz
Core 0: @Intel(R) 1: @630 MHz

Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

I have the netbook connected to an external monitor but can't set it
to a higher resolution, easier to see just the same.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(76.28 KiB) Downloaded 2960 times

Billtoo

#557 Post by Billtoo »

I did another install to a 32gb SDHC card:

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Mon 16 Feb 2015 on LxPup 15.02 Linux 3.4.94 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04)
oem: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 800x480 pixels (169x126 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 900MHz
Core 0: @Intel(R) 1: @630 MHz

Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Compiled mplayer-checkout-snapshot.tar.bz2 (took an hour and a half),
loaded qt4-4.8.5.sfs (from fatdog64), added scabz's smplayer,smtube,and
cacertificates pets.

Dillo-3.4.0.1 works great on this netbook, firefox not so much.

Connected decent speakers to the headphone jack, this Eee PC 701SD rocks
now :)

Thanks for LxPup!

EDIT: Typo, should read Dillo-3.0.4.1
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(49.52 KiB) Downloaded 1893 times
Screenshot2.jpg
(46.53 KiB) Downloaded 1693 times

totolanio

#558 Post by totolanio »

using my lxpup 14.02 save on the newest lxpup, it asked me if i wanted to copy the sfs in the usb stick, so I said yes and then it bugged :)
I had no firewall set up and custom programs on startup

So I deleted these sfs and the bug was gone.
Can't say more though
Main puppy used : LxPup tahr.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97623]Multiple package installer/remover.[/url]

Subito Piano

Rednotebook

#559 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! Excellent work but rednotebook will not function as posted here. Launching in terminal gives

Code: Select all

Webkit was not found.  It can be found in a package with the name python-webkit or pywebkitgtk
...although rednotebook does work in tahrpup 6.0.2. I did install the pet package python-webkit_1.1.8, but that dd not help.

Not sure where the problem lies....???

[EDIT] I downloaded and ran TahrPup and installed rednotebook -- it ran fine. Then i downloaded the LxPup sfs fie and loaded it "on the fly," then ran the lxpup pet as directed. It restarted the wm automatically, then rednotebook would not start. Terminal gives the following output:

root# rednotebook
INFO     chardet not found. 'utf-8' encoding will be assumed
INFO     Writing log to file "/root/.rednotebook/rednotebook.log"
INFO     MathJax location: http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js
INFO     Running in portable mode: False
INFO     First Start: False
INFO     RedNotebook version: 1.4.0
INFO     System info: machine: i686, platform: Linux-3.14.20-i686-athlon-with-glibc2.4, processor: athlon, python_version: 2.7.6, release: 3.14.20, system: Linux, GTK version: (2, 24, 23), PyGTK version: (2, 24, 0), Yaml version: 3.10
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyDrive'.
  self.builder.add_from_file(self.gladefile)
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyMount'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyShadowMount'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolume'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitor'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2'.

(rednotebook:1916): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-native-volume-monitor. Expected type is GNativeVolumeMonitor.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GDaemonVfs'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GDaemonVolumeMonitor'.

(rednotebook:1916): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: cannot add interface type 'GLoadableIcon' to type 'GVfsIcon', since type 'GVfsIcon' already conforms to interface

(rednotebook:1916): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-vfs. Expected type is GVfs.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GVfsUriMapper'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GVfsUriMapperSmb'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GVfsUriMapperHttp'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'GVfsUriMapperAfp'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(rednotebook:1916): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: invalid cast from 'GDaemonVfs' to '<invalid>'
Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 127 (g-dbus-error-quark, 25)
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: g_object_new: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
/usr/share/rednotebook/rednotebook/gui/main_window.py:63: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Segmentation fault
Similar issues in the LxPup Slacko:

# rednotebook
/usr/bin/python: /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/python)
/usr/bin/python: /lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/python)

** (process:24713): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:24713): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:24713): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
2015-02-16 19:43:59,817 INFO     Writing log to file "/root/.rednotebook/rednotebook.log"
2015-02-16 19:43:59,818 INFO     System encoding: UTF-8
2015-02-16 19:43:59,818 INFO     Language code: en_US
2015-02-16 19:43:59,829 ERROR    PyYAML not found. Please install python-yaml or PyYAML
...but i can't find the python YAML package thru the package manager.

peebee

Re: Rednotebook

#560 Post by peebee »

Subito Piano wrote:but rednotebook will not function
Hi - this appears to be a very large (>100MB) and complicated application which installs all sorts of dependencies and libraries. I'm not even really clear what the application does (or why it needs to be so large).

It doesn't seem to have been supported on Slackware since version 13.37 - see http://pkgs.org/search/rednotebook - LxPup current is based on Slackware 14.1 components.

If it works on TahrPup then it may be best to keep running it there.....

Sorry can't be more help on this one - I think it just isn't compatible with LxPup.
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Subito Piano

#561 Post by Subito Piano »

OK -- thanks for the quick reply & the good work on LXDE, my fav WM. JWM has always worked fine & i'm pretty familiar with it, so it will do for me. :)

peebee

Youtube review

#562 Post by peebee »

PuppyLinuxWorld has (sort of) reviewed LxPupTahr14.12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjfszAspwE0
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

festus

#563 Post by festus »

Now that I've played with this pup for about two months, I just want to say that this is the best OS that I have ever used.

Thank you, peebee, and any others, involved in the maintenance of this fine pup.

festus :D

hapless_user

#564 Post by hapless_user »

yes,me too! so far, I like LxPup 15.02 non-Pae) very much....I like the lxde (?) window manager versus the jwrmc(?) because it is easier for this windoze refugee and especially, it works with Opencpn navigation program.

I have used on 3 laptops from usb stick: HP G60, HP Dv1000 and a Dell D420

The only real pest has been the D420's Broadcom 4311 wireless card but I eventually found the tip to blacklist "wl" and that works!!

(...tahrpup 6.0.02 is excellent too (and no issue with B4311) except I could not get OpenCPN to display properly on it. I think it must be due to Opencpn's wxgtk dependencies ...)

rawmilk905

wlan0 not seen after initial save/reboot - LxPupTahr 15.02.1

#565 Post by rawmilk905 »

I posted this issue in the newbie help forum and it was recommended that I post it here as well. It is copied and pasted so it may require edits for clarification. PM me if this is the case. Thanks:

I tried the vanilla JWM TahrPup, even though I can't tolerate that desktop, and had a similar problem, but "ifconfig wlan0 up" in the terminal fixed it right away.

Not the case here, I'm getting "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: no such device" and prior to the first reboot when setting up the save file everything was working fine.

I tried several Puppy variants and this is the one I want to stick with for being up to date, complete (distros like X-Slacko lacked things like Xsane and Peasyscan) and having an agreeable desktop environment, but I need wifi to work.

I'm setting it up on an Acer Aspire One 532h-2588 which according to system info utilities has an Atheros AR5B95 Wireless Network Adapter, but this install (via unetbootin) is on a USB stick* and I intend it as a portable OS to use on multiple computers wherever I happen to be, so I can't constantly be fussing with wifi issues.

I have been using Linux Mint for nearly a couple years now, but I am new to Puppy. Any clues? I have done the initial set up several times, deleted the save file and started over but this keeps happening. It really seems like a major bug. Also, no access to a wired network, so hopefully the solution is through the terminal.

*The USB stick is FAT32, one single 16GB partition. It was freshly formatted prior to the install, but not upon deletion and rebuild of save file.
There is a folder called "Keys" on it containing my keepassx database and key file for access, in addition to the Puppy install. This must be accessible from other booted OSes as well as Puppy as it stores my logins/passwords.

The install uses the recommended .2fs file with heavy encryption and is located on the top level of the partition with the other Puppy OS files.

Subito Piano

#566 Post by Subito Piano »

ugh....atheros....

Can you swipe the driver from the standard TahrPup -- in other words, boot up TahrPup, copy the driver (or the whole driver folder) onto your usb drive, boot up LXPup, and copy it to the correct folder (same location as in TahrPup)?

peebee

Re: wlan0 not seen after initial save/reboot - LxPupTahr 15.02.1

#567 Post by peebee »

rawmilk905 wrote:I posted this issue in the newbie help forum and it was recommended that I post it here as well. It is copied and pasted so it may require edits for clarification. PM me if this is the case. Thanks:

I tried the vanilla JWM TahrPup, even though I can't tolerate that desktop, and had a similar problem, but "ifconfig wlan0 up" in the terminal fixed it right away.

Not the case here, I'm getting "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: no such device" and prior to the first reboot when setting up the save file everything was working fine.

I tried several Puppy variants and this is the one I want to stick with for being up to date, complete (distros like X-Slacko lacked things like Xsane and Peasyscan) and having an agreeable desktop environment, but I need wifi to work.

I'm setting it up on an Acer Aspire One 532h-2588 which according to system info utilities has an Atheros AR5B95 Wireless Network Adapter, but this install (via unetbootin) is on a USB stick* and I intend it as a portable OS to use on multiple computers wherever I happen to be, so I can't constantly be fussing with wifi issues.

I have been using Linux Mint for nearly a couple years now, but I am new to Puppy. Any clues? I have done the initial set up several times, deleted the save file and started over but this keeps happening. It really seems like a major bug. Also, no access to a wired network, so hopefully the solution is through the terminal.

*The USB stick is FAT32, one single 16GB partition. It was freshly formatted prior to the install, but not upon deletion and rebuild of save file.
There is a folder called "Keys" on it containing my keepassx database and key file for access, in addition to the Puppy install. This must be accessible from other booted OSes as well as Puppy as it stores my logins/passwords.

The install uses the recommended .2fs file with heavy encryption and is located on the top level of the partition with the other Puppy OS files.
Hi rawmilk905

Please try blacklisting the wl driver as that is present in LxPupTahr and is known to sometimes claim wifi devices erroneously.

After a first reboot, go:
Menu -> System -> System -> Boot Manager -> Modules -> Blacklist module
and move wl into the right hand pane

then reboot.

Cheers
peebee

rawmilk905

Re: wlan0 not seen after initial save/reboot - LxPupTahr 15.02.1

#568 Post by rawmilk905 »

peebee wrote: Hi rawmilk905

Please try blacklisting the wl driver as that is present in LxPupTahr and is known to sometimes claim wifi devices erroneously.

After a first reboot, go:
Menu -> System -> System -> Boot Manager -> Modules -> Blacklist module
and move wl into the right hand pane

then reboot.

Cheers
peebee
This did it , thank you!

peebee

New look?

#569 Post by peebee »

I am considering a new look for LxPup at the next release....

The icon set is called flat-remix
The OpenBox theme is from Windows8OB by David Andrew

Please send any comments by PM so as not to clog up the thread.

Thanks
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(100.88 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
flat-remix-icons.png
(48.91 KiB) Downloaded 715 times

peebee

LxPupVivid

#570 Post by peebee »

Thanks to the efforts of 666philb, LxPupVivid should be available soon.......
Attachments
capture4365.png
(94.45 KiB) Downloaded 726 times

clasico3124

skype for lxpup tahr

#571 Post by clasico3124 »

hola,
tengo problemas con la llamada en skype no se escucha a la otra persona y la otra persona tampoco me escucha

uso puppy tahrpup con escritorio lxde

hello,
i have problem with skype call i dont lisen other person and the other dont lisent to me

i am use tahrpup with lxde

peebee

Re: skype for lxpup tahr

#572 Post by peebee »

clasico3124 wrote:hello,
i have problem with skype call i dont lisen other person and the other dont lisent to me

i am use tahrpup with lxde
Please use:
Menu -> Setup -> ALSA Sound Wizard
to adjust your sound

and
Menu -> Multimedia -> Pavrecord
to test settings

Then try Skype again when you have sound configured correctly.

clasico3124

mixxx sound

#573 Post by clasico3124 »

hello,
thanks for help me with skype, now work all ok with skype call.

i have a new problem, with mixxx dont leave other app sound

i want speak with other person in skype, and both of us go air with mixxx

but mixxx doesnt premition other app sound

why only one app sound at the time

peebee

LxPup-15.03

#574 Post by peebee »

LxPup-15.03 is available to download from:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/slacko60.html

Slackware-14.1 (Slacko6-Beta2) flavour with no-pae k3.4.94 and pae k3.17.7 versions

Main change is the new "look" - new default background, flat-remix iconset, Windows8OB window decoration, xfce-dawn gtk2 widgets

ppm and pup-sys-info also updated

(if you want to revert to a close approximation of the previous "look" then use Menu -> Desktop -> Change appearance and select:
Windows - Onyx
Theme - Nodoka-Aqua
Icons - Elementary
Background - vladstudio-windypress)

Note: updating an existing savefile will likely need some desktop reconfiguration after 1st boot - particularly an iconset will need to be selected and a windows manager restart done. This is because the box iconset is no longer included.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(95.61 KiB) Downloaded 2524 times

peebee

LxPupTahr-15.03

#575 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr has also now been updated to version 15.03.

See http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-tahr.html for download.

TahrPup updates to 22-Mar-2015 16:09 are included.

Box icons are no longer included.

The Puppy update process does not support LxPup fully, so if you are updating a previous install of LxPup you will need to do some manual tweaking after the 1st boot.

In particular you should:
- select the new iconset (flat-remix): Menu -> Desktop -> Desktop appearance -> Icons
- delete the optional top-panel if you have activated it and then re-activate it:
Menu -> Desktop -> Desktop appearance -> Options -> Top panel

You may also need to change the background and the GTK2 widget theme depending on how many changes you have made to these features in the past.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture27596.png
(131.41 KiB) Downloaded 2523 times