Vincent Van Pup 3992

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#136 Post by greengeek »

I do find it difficult to interpret Pelos recent comments though - is there still a bug in Vinnie? Something to do with PPM? I can't tell if it is a bug that used to be in Vinnie but has now been resolved, or if it was a bug with the location of Ubuntu repos, or if it is a bug that still remains to be fixed???

Or is it a bug that users fix by themselves by changing something in their savefiles?

If there is a PPM bug within the Vinnie main sfs itself i would be keen to get it resolved so that it works perfectly ootb. It's too good a puppy to have any issue that distracts or adversely affects new users.

starhawk

#137 Post by starhawk »

Probably the PPM updater needs to be run. I have to do that with Tahr these days...

musher0

#138 Post by musher0 »

@greengeek:
I have no problem whatsoever with Vinnie. :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

learnhow2code

#139 Post by learnhow2code »

greengeek wrote:I do find it difficult to interpret Pelos recent comments though - is there still a bug in Vinnie? Something to do with PPM? I can't tell if it is a bug that used to be in Vinnie but has now been resolved, or if it was a bug with the location of Ubuntu repos, or if it is a bug that still remains to be fixed???
this is why you cant worry too much about bug reports that contain no specifics. you can certainly ask someone to clarify (the more informal the gathering, the wiser that is) but if theyre always listing bugs and never giving you the info you need... what are you supposed to do? be happy that most users do not know about (or feel a need to mention) those issues?

Pelo

Van Pup has been repaired by Greengeek

#140 Post by Pelo »

NO ! Van Pup has been repaired by Greengeek, my message was to get Puppy Builders doing the same with other upup puppies (hungarian are concerned)
VanPUP can be downloaded from greengeek links. Starhawk is updating its repository, he says.
So little bugs were easy to solve. That is done. VanPup is perfect (as far as explored at home). Lot of libraries are included, allowing many apps to run.
Painting for painters, but not only, quite all music programs can be run by Music lovers. An healthy Puppy does not need so many Linux technics as paparazzi ! He needs 'aficionados'

Nota bene :

For people having lot of office work to do at home, office suite can be used.. But is that the goal of an artistic Puppy ? In my opinion, no :!:

learnhow2code : this forum is too much a repair shop. We have to underline applications working well, for newbies here to get informed
Not to be repaired.
There have been 24835 users online since yesterday :: 132 Registered, 13 Hidden and 24690 Guests
Attachments
raringsave.jpg
Raringsave 128MB can be increased when needed
(37.47 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 10:55, edited 2 times in total.

starhawk

#141 Post by starhawk »

I did not say I was updating any repos -- that is unchanged from Upup 3992. I do not have control over those -- which is quite fine with me.

I was suggesting that the update-package-sources script within the PPM might need to be run, by people using Van Pup (and, in turn, Upup 3992), for the PPM to be able to download packages. TahrPup 602, and Pups based on it, already need this done.

learnhow2code

#142 Post by learnhow2code »

starhawk wrote:TahrPup 602, and Pups based on it, already need this done.
sorry, but this sounds like it doesnt include tahrpup 605 (tahrpup 605 is already updated then?) would you confirm?

starhawk

#143 Post by starhawk »

Don't know, haven't touched it. I'm waiting on phil to update it a little, though -- he said he would in a PM to me (which I've since unfortunately lost) -- the openchrome driver in there has support broken for certain VIA-branded chipsets, and I'm the guy who got that fixed. phil said he'd release a Tahr with the fix -- which I supplied him -- but I've yet to see it materialize.

learnhow2code

#144 Post by learnhow2code »

starhawk wrote:phil said he'd release a Tahr with the fix -- which I supplied
id like as much info on this fix as possible: by link, by pm, or by thread. im unfamiliar with this ppm business (i know that tahr or refracta has several programs in /usr/bin that start with ppm) though im very curious how your fix can be applied.

starhawk

#145 Post by starhawk »

Applying the fix is somewhat tedious and somewhat boring. Read here, starting with the second post --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107198

Affected VIA chipsets are anything vaguely similar to the VX800 series. This includes the VX855 and VX900 chipsets and may include the K8M800 and a few others. (I don't have a full list.) I'm the reason, by the way, that this particular mess got solved. It took something like six or more /months/ of troubleshooting and code writing -- Kevin Brace, the guy who was principally helping me (in his spare time, no less) wound up rewriting most of the driver, as I understand it. For the record, mine is a weird, weird system (Wyse C90LE, info) with the VIA VX855 chipset. There aren't many systems that use that chipset -- most tend to go with the CN700 chipset, which does not have this issue... I have a Neoware CA19 (another weird system) that uses the CN700 chipset -- it has a different issue, namely that the framebuffre driver freezes the system solid about a split second after it's called during TahrPup's boot process. I will NOT be pursuing that one, I've chased down enough driver problems for one life, thank you just the same...

If you actually want to read the bug comment-thread on openchrome's bugtracker site, it's here. Be warned that most trade-paperback novels are shorter -- and more entertaining.

learnhow2code

#146 Post by learnhow2code »

starhawk wrote:Applying the fix is somewhat tedious
so basically copy openchome.* from this archive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LIR ... UNLODhMUGs to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ ... there are other steps too, but they would require copying an updated xorg configuration? after the files are copied. if this is going to be automated, you would want that updated section of xorg config, but having the openchrome files would be a good start. question: are they open, or non-free?

starhawk

#147 Post by starhawk »

The name "openchrome" should answer your question in and of itself ;)

learnhow2code

#148 Post by learnhow2code »

starhawk wrote:The name "openchrome" should answer your question in and of itself ;)
i dont put a lot of stock in "open*," especially when its connected to the word "chrome" (as in google or mozilla, both of whom made browsers that catered to drm or installed non-free software without reporting it to the user.) other than that, i agree (really i probably shouldve just looked it up.) * (even though this is exactly the word i used to ask the question.) historically, too many "open" drivers are wrappers that include non-free something or other. im not saying this as a purist-- but to explain an otherwise silly question.

Pelo

Editing photo with Lazapint

#149 Post by Pelo »

Vincent Van Pup 3992 is the only Puppy where i succeed to ... play Decibel. audio Player
Vanpup is for painting.. Lazpaint installed, a lot of fun with this application (Laz Means Lazarus)
Attachments
esnandes_la_badoire4.jpg
Black and white before..
(97.68 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 08:46, edited 6 times in total.

Pelo

Parole 0.5.0

#150 Post by Pelo »

Parole 0.5.0 installed from PPM raring successfully.
Now Vanpup is serviceable, nobody would need artist Workshop :!:
Incredible
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Removed Google Chrome from optional

#151 Post by Pelo »

Removed Google Chrome from optional. I will satisfy with Seamonkey only. ISO is 53MB less..
lazpaint-5.6.pet: 2731 K will be useful for painting
Attachments
FAT.jpg
Play With pictures
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

here are apps for photographe, a kit

#152 Post by Pelo »

here are apps for photographe, a kit

Eh vincent Van PUP , now forgotten by everybody, when Greengeek made it serviceable ? Where are the defendors, gone away..

An adrive is a good idea. Somebody will do it for Slacko, any dev ? That is what we need. Listen to people wishes, better than doing useles puplets.
Vincent Van Pupp 3992 has all the libraries needed to do better, much better. Everything works ...All my jukeboxes works. It's Music ? yes Music. But i like it :)

Listen to Passengers !

musher0

#153 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

Starhawk's excellent Puppy is still available here:
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_vincentvanpup

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

hamoudoudou

Pelo, greengeek -- thanks to both of you for keeping alive

#154 Post by hamoudoudou »

starhawk wrote:Pelo, greengeek -- thanks to both of you for keeping this alive.
Musher0 is happy too for Vincent Van Pup
Nice story :)