HP Deskjet 2540: Is wireless direct printing possible?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
BJF

HP Deskjet 2540: Is wireless direct printing possible?

#1 Post by BJF »

Hello again.

I bought a HP Deskjet 2540 printer for NZ$29! on special because it offered among other things a wifi connectivity and wireless direct printing from smart things like (in our house) Android phones and tablets.
It configures, scans and prints flawlessly from a usb connection and wirelessly from the phone and tablet but it has an abysmal wifi range of reception. Setting Frisbee to the printer's ip address and sending it a blank page to print under wireless direct results in the printer stalling at a "processing page 2" error in CUPS which typically is an I-can't-understand-you reaction.
Has anyone got this feature to work with HP printers? The phone and tablet need an app, and I expect the computers need something too. I have searched in vain on the Forum.
Thanks guys.

HP NC6000, LXPreciseRetro 14.02

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you tried to set up wireless the conventional way - have the printer join your network instead of you joining its?

I believe that HP wireless direct has some kind of security feature that prevents strangers from using the printer. Is it enabled? I don't think that CUPS would be able to see past this security layer.

Have you tried a different Puppy connection manager than Frisbee?

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply? This could have been useful information to other community members.

BJF

#4 Post by BJF »

Rcrsn51: Sorry, life sometimes intrudes.
The printer is able to generate an information page(s) with MAC address, http:// address, and other potentially useful Greek-to-me entries but remains wirelessly invisible to the router or laptop. No MAC appears on the router client list for it and the printer's connectivity indicator has not gone solidly on despite being less that 1m/40" away.
I added the printer in CUPS manually using the http://0.0.0.0 address provided and it shows a test page "going to the printer" but no connection still. There is no operating firewall in place on the computers.
The direct print option delivers a connection in Frisbee of 192.168.223.100 and will connect apparently but not print. That same address in an Android phone connects and works, using the Android HP PrintDirect app.
Can you please direct me on router/printer recognition, connection, and setup.

Thanks.

BJF

#5 Post by BJF »

Progress! Lots of reading led me to rcrsn51's guide to installing a printer via Airport on a machine. Of course I tried it out and it didn't work. But it got me thinking. In the printed Help pages the printer is able to produce I found an address:

http://192.168.223.1

I connected the laptop via its PrintDirect address and opened the browser and typed the address above and it took me to a webpage generated, it seems, by the printer. Through this I was able to find my network and assign the printer an address at the router of:

192.168.2.254:9100

The wifi light on the printer is now solid, showing a connection. With the security setting turned off (we are miles from anyone else here) I exited and opened localhost:631 and searched again for a new printer. And there it was.
What I haven't yet succeeded in doing is establishing the PrintDirect connection. However, as rcrsn51 suggests, a printer that can see a LAN is virtually the same thing. I will persist though, as in theory cracking the subject of the posting would mean that I could print independent of the LAN, anywhere.

Cheers.

keniv

#6 Post by keniv »

Hello BJF

Did you get your HP 2540 to work wirelessly. I am in a similar position. I have it working via usb but cannot even find it via wireless. I'd appriciate any help you can give me.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here.

BJF

#8 Post by BJF »

rcrsn51, you are the man! I was thrown into confusion as to explaining my bumbling about in a meaningful way but you have, as always, nailed it. I had a server running in parallel as a safety net and could connect to the printer either by connecting to its wireless address, or via said server. My phone would choose wireless, but frankly, the server worked for the laptops without a hitch. That was before the router fell foul of its channel setting being left as Auto in a reconfigure with a provider change, and the wifi range and reliability was lost in conflict with the printer. Never thought to turn the printer wifi off!

Keniv: Sorry I can't be of service. But you got the best advice possible in the end, and happy printing.

rcrsn51: Thank you.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. You had done everything right until CUPS gave you the bogus 0.0.0.0 IP address for the printer.

Once I got to work with an HP Wireless Direct model, I could see what was going on.