Intel is getting bigger in a SMALL way.

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
gcmartin

Intel is getting bigger in a SMALL way.

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Over the past couple of days, Intel is emerging EVERYWHERE at CES 2016.

They has a button technology, a new PC on a stick, upgrades to the Next Computer (NUCs), a phone, Auduino protocols and devices, partnerships abound, acquisition announcements that will build-out their future. They are even showing off what looks to be combinaton of Google Glass and NFL/CFL football helmets with intel technology inside...Wow! If it were up to me, I would rename this show as "The Intel CES 2016" on this 2nd day of the show.

Most of us will find something to like in this massive packages of announcements. 8)

I have been having an assortment of problems with old hardware I have. I cannot give away my 32bit PCs, monitors, etc. as it seems no one wants these power hungry beast. Even my old 1970s TV set on my curb for almost a week before someone hauled it away 2 years ago. A PC that I set on it a year ago got several stops but, they looked, then got back into their vehicle leaving it curbside. It took 2 days early last year before someone hauled it off, after I added to the "Its running sign" ... "Please take". :lol:

So, I am looking for a unit that is both current, and will meet the near future demands I see coming at us. It will be used to run Puppy Linux and to test PUP distros as the needs arise. The price is cheap and the power usage ratchets down considerably to what I am currently running.

Personally, I will be getting both a NUC as well as a Stick soon. Or I will wait for HP's MicroServer as my home system for the next 5 years assuming I can resist future technological advancements. :lol:

Edited: Correction of a typo in the 3rd paragraph
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

unicorn316386

#2 Post by unicorn316386 »

Old laptops only for me. Last 4 laptops I bought are all from 2004-2005 for between $25-70. I heard some newer Windows 10 laptops don't have the ability to turn off UEFI, I'm not taking the chance. More money saved, no problem. 32-bit FTW! :lol: