Which of many cheese[s] in PPM for logitech c270 webcam.

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
B.K. Johnson

Which of many cheese[s] in PPM for logitech c270 webcam.

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello
I was gifted a logitech c270 webcam.
lsusb from command line shows it as recognized.

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270
In an August 2012 ubuntu thread, cheese was recommended and found to work (pic but no sound)with Skype.
Which of the cheese[s] listed in PPM (see screenshot) should I install?

I'd appreciate any help.
Attachments
cheese-ppm.png
List of cheese options in PPM
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

try the first one
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

B.K. Johnson

#3 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Tried to install cheese as 666philb recommended. Got a stream of "missing" but at the end, the "Failed" section of the window listed about 10 items which were "already installed". No "cheese" in the path when invoked from command line; no "cheese" found among System files by pFind.

Installed ALL cheese items listed in PPM. Window appeared asking me to select from list which app(s) I would like to check dependencies for, but list included previously installed and working apps like emelfm2 and seamonkey (see screenshot) . I could have chosen to check all, but instead cancelled.

Packages seem to have been Installed OK.

The screen output from trying cheese from command line was this:

root# cheese

** (cheese:17532): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
** Message: cheese-application.vala:291: Error during camera setup: No device found

(cheese:17532): cheese-CRITICAL **: cheese_camera_device_get_device_node: assertion 'CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_schema_key_type_check: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:17532): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_set_value: key 'camera' in 'org.gnome.Cheese' expects type 's', but a GVariant of type '(null)' was given

** (cheese:17532): CRITICAL **: cheese_preferences_dialog_setup_resolutions_for_device: assertion 'device != NULL' failed

** (cheese:17532): WARNING **: cheese-preferences.vala:317: Error showing help
root#
and a GUI showing "No device found".

Cheese appears in Menu=>Multimedia, but invoking it also brings up the GUI with "No device found".

How do I proceed?
Attachments
round2.png
Final display following selection of ALL cheese files from PPM. cheese-common was installed previously.
(34.97 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
inclusions.png
partial file list for dependencies check
(15.29 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

B.K. Johnson

#4 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Among the parms -help provided was -d so I tried it with the device provided by lsusb.

root# cheese -d 046d:0825

(cheese:22root# cheese -d 046d:0825

(cheese:22973): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_set_value: assertion 'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
root#973): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_set_value: assertion 'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
root#
And GUI with No device found appeared.
So, still no joy.

Doesn't anyone in Puppyland use a webcam? :shock:
[EDIT]
Repeated this last command several times; the CLI output is inconsistent but the GUI consistently shows: No device found.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

666philb

#5 Post by 666philb »

try guvcview instead
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

B.K. Johnson

#6 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Continuing my research, I came upon a reference to guvcview, Found that there was a guvcview script in /usr/local/quickpet_precise,which used wget to download a pet from nluug. On a whim, I checked quickpet; guvcview was there under video. Downloaded, installed and launched guvcview. Surprise! There was my face on camera.
Mystery over for now. Sound and Skype investigations to follow, more than likely in the new year. I'll not show the post as solved yet.

[EDIT]
@666philb
Saw your post to use guvcview late. You were right on the money.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson