How to add a second or more trays to your desktop

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
buckaroo50

How to add a second or more trays to your desktop

#1 Post by buckaroo50 »

1) Navigate to the file "/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc" from your root directory and open it as a text file.

(This file rewrites "/root/.jwmrc" every time a change to your system is made)

At the bottom of the file just above the following comment

<!-- <Include>/root/.jwm/themes/jwm-default</Include> -->

2) add these lines (you can copy and paste from here)

<!-- Include external rc files -->
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray1</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray2</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray3</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray4</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray5</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray6</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray7</Include>
<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray8</Include>

Save the file and then

3) Navigate to your root directory and make the same changes to the hidden file ".jwmrc"

(this may be able to be skipped but if no changes are made to your system then this file will be active, it will be overwritten if any changes are made with the "/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc" file), so it is best to do both files. then if it is active it will work and if it gets overwritten then it will still work)

4) Navigate to the hidden folder /root/.jwm

5) Create a text file called "jwmrc-tray1"

6) In this file copy and paste the following text

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<JWM>
<Tray autohide="true" insert="top" insert="right" layer="above" halign="center" valign="top" height="45" layout="horizontal" >
<TrayButton popup="ROX-Filer file manager" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/home.svg">exec:rox</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Urxvt terminal emulator" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/terminal.svg">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Htop System Process Viewer" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/execute.svg">exec:/usr/bin/urxvt -e htop</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="defaultbrowser" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/internet.svg">exec:defaultbrowser</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="defaulttexteditor" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/edit.svg">exec:defaulttexteditor</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="defaultpaint" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/paint.svg">exec:defaultpaint</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="defaultspreadsheet" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/spreadsheet.svg">exec:defaultspreadsheet</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="defaultwordprocessor" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/write.svg">exec:defaultwordprocessor</TrayButton>
<Spacer width="25" height="25"/>
<TrayButton popup="Puppy Setup" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/puppy_config.svg">exec:wizardwizard</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Leave Puppy" icon="quit.svg">exec:/usr/sbin/logout_gui</TrayButton>
</Tray>
</JWM>

7) Now save the file and reboot.

MochiMoppel

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

Add additional tray definitions (as many as you please) to the file /root/.jwmrc-tray, then restart JWM. No need to edit /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc or create new files. No need to reboot.

buckaroo50

#3 Post by buckaroo50 »

MochiMoppel wrote:Add additional tray definitions (as many as you please) to the file /root/.jwmrc-tray, then restart JWM. No need to edit /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc or create new files. No need to reboot.
Good point and a whole lot easier than what I posted - thanks...

I am still learning and every tip helps...

Quote of the day - "I am not too bright but I can lift heavy things"... hahaha

I am working with Puppy Tahr right now and have updated the kernel etc and just getting used to the JWM...

I remastered a puppy, which is a remaster of a remaster and uses XFCE for the widow manager... It is a tad fat right now because I included some big files such as Gimp, Java, Python, LightZone etc... You can check it out if you choose to...

It is here for download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/skfyf16jn3h0y ... 7.iso?dl=0

It will fit on a CD... If you try it let me know what you think and any tips that you can provide will help me learn more...

mikeslr

more jwm trays & radky's jwmdesk

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you MochiMoppel for advising us of the easy way to create more than one jwm taskbar. But thank you, also, buckaroo50 for providing a detailed exposition of "the long-way".

Recently, I've been exploring Tahrpup64. Compared to LightHouse/JustLightHouse, 64bit implementations of Tarhpup can be considered just emerging from infancy.

I hate menus and desktop icons. The former requires climbing along branches to reach those applications I either most commonly use or --like screenshots and desktop recorders-- want when I want them. The latter are usually obscured by windows to already running applications. So I am particularly appreciative of taskbars with launchers, especially those which remain hidden until wanted.

With 32bit Pups, achieving the system I want is a simple as installing and configuring vicmz's openbox with lxpanel; something I've done automatically for the last two years. But it's not available for 64-bit Pups. With mindless performance of the familiar hindered, I've had to explore alternatives, of which there are several, each with its strengths and weaknesses.

I was trying out each of the following --peebee's LxPupTahr, and philb666's TahrPup with wbar, or with the addition of either radky's FbBox or gray's xfce-- when buckaroo50 opened this thread presenting to me, at least, another alternative: just a slight modification to the jwm-rox system with which I am already familiar and which utilizes fewer resources than the other alternatives.

One application has placed jwm on the same level of friendliness with regard to user customization as xfce & openbox. Building on foundations by Barry K, patriot and 01micko, radky has created a masterpiece of utility for customizing the behavior of joe's window manager: jwmdesk. But from my limited understanding of BASH employed in the jwmdesk application, I don't see how more than one taskbar created by manually editing jwmrc-tray could be accommodated. This leaves three possibilities:

1) The first and best is that a second taskbar created by just manually editing jwmrc-tray will be ignored if jwmdesk is later used.
2) Just manually editing jwmrc-tray will break jwmdesk -- not likely, but as I said, I'm no BASH expert.
3) Manual changes made to jwmrc-tray will be over-written if jwmdesk is later used. This one's my best guess.

buckaroo50's longer method has, it seems to me, this advantage: Since it ignores jwmrc-tray --which is the focus of jwmdesk-- it will neither interfere with nor be interfered by the employment of jwmdesk.

mikesLr

MochiMoppel

Re: more jwm trays & radky's jwmdesk

#5 Post by MochiMoppel »

mikeslr wrote:But from my limited understanding of BASH employed in the jwmdesk application, I don't see how more than one taskbar created by manually editing jwmrc-tray could be accommodated. This leaves three possibilities
..which of course is bad and a reason to observe a simple rule of thumb: Don't use GUI frontends after you start manual editing.

There are many fine frontends to customize JWM and users who are not comfortable with reading manuals or editing cryptic config files will benefit from them. Changing a value once in a while directly in a config file should also not break anything and is a good way to start understanding how JWM works. But frontends have their limits. Most of them don't expect direct changes by the users and therefore assume that filenames, file structures, locations etc. haven't been manipulated. After making such fundamental changes as adding trays a user should stay away from frontends, and after all I don't see why he would want to use one. Manual editing is so much easier and faster once you know the syntax.
buckaroo50's longer method has, it seems to me, this advantage: Since it ignores jwmrc-tray --which is the focus of jwmdesk-- it will neither interfere with nor be interfered by the employment of jwmdesk.
...up to the point where the employment of jwmdesk has not effect :lol: Even if jwmdesk has exclusive access to jwmrc-tray, the additional trays, which are all read by JWM after reading jwmrc-tray, may overwride settings made by jwmdesk.

Frankly, I can't see any advantage in buckaroo50's method. If a user still wants to use GUI frontends and fears that this may wreck jwmrc-tray, then additional trays could be added to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. JWM doesn't care where these settings are stored, they will all eventually be included into /root/.jwmrc.

mikeslr

Re: more jwm trays & radky's jwmdesk

#6 Post by mikeslr »

MochiMoppel wrote:... If a user still wants to use GUI frontends and fears that this may wreck jwmrc-tray, then additional trays could be added to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. JWM doesn't care where these settings are stored, they will all eventually be included into /root/.jwmrc.
Excellent. Just the advice I was hoping for. :D Thanks, MochiMoppel.

Edit: for the sake of completeness, I stumbled upon mavrothal's JWM applications-panel with GUI control http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 394#613394. As its name suggests, it creates a panel [in addition to jwm's tray] which is modifiable via a GUI. Version 1.1 worked ootb with Tahrpup64. As explained on that thread, it neither conflicts with, nor is overwritten by, jwmdesk.

mikeslr