Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 16:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
urxvt terminal emulator problems
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
weevilpup

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct 2013, 22:03    Post subject:  urxvt terminal emulator problems
Subject description: "whatis" command and copy/paste issues

I find that "whatis" command does not work in urxvt. This is problematic for me as I would like to learn more about commands. Is this fixable?

I can't copy/paste in this terminal emulator like I can in gnome terminal. I checked some other forums and somebody discussed a partial fix that was beyond my understanding. Anybody here have the the solution?

I read that urxvt and xterm are both lightweight applications. Is there a reason I would want to continue to use urxvt?
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 01:04    Post subject:  

Whatis what Razz
Apropos,

type -a <commandname>
which <commandname>

are Puppy's whatis .
weevilpup

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 01:52    Post subject:  

Ok, downloaded xterm, I see that lack of whatis is a puppy issue, not urxvt? type -a and which are not equivalent, so I'm not sure what the relavence is to my question. Forgive me if I just don't understand, but I interpret your response as not even pretending to be helpful.
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 07:22    Post subject:  

You wouldn't be the first to have trouble with one of Wink Karls`replies..
Quote:
Forgive me if I just don't understand..
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 09:50    Post subject:  

copy and paste involves highlighting the text and pasting with the mille mouse button...its fun

In gnome you probably have someting like a libvte based terminal emulator which has the copy and paste you are more accustomed to.

whatis seems like a command similar to man.... there is man i believe assuming the man files are present. I tried whatis here and it complained aterm: nothing appropriate for example.

uxterm...unicode handling terminal.

mike
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 13:16    Post subject:  

In the console terminal that comes with Puppy.

Copy- left click hold and highlight

Paste- middle button click

Also works to copy from terminal and paste to other programs.

Also if you use copy method that comes with other programs you can paste in terminal by middle mouse click.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 13:32    Post subject:  

Try using this to see if it gives you the info you want.

<commandname> -h

6502coder

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 13:58    Post subject:  

weevilpup wrote:
Ok, downloaded xterm, I see that lack of whatis is a puppy issue, not urxvt? type -a and which are not equivalent, so I'm not sure what the relavence is to my question. Forgive me if I just don't understand, but I interpret your response as not even pretending to be helpful.

1) Your rather snide shot at Karl was uncalled for. "type" and "which" are both commands which tell you something about what a command is or does, therefore his response was indeed "apropos". As someone who apparently does not even understand that system commands are not properties of terminal emulators, you might want to show a little more respect.

2) "whatis" is a system command. There are many different varieties of UNIX/Linux and they do not have the same sets of system commands. Puppy is not unique in not having the "whatis" command, so to say it is an "issue" is a bit out of line. I have worked on numerous UNIX/Linux systems for over thirty years and many of them did not have a "whatis" command.

3) In keeping with its minimalist philosophy, Puppy omits some of the infrequently used commands, and implements some of the commonly-used ones in a simplified form, often through busybox. If you want a Linux that has a fuller set of more fully implemented system commands, then Puppy is the wrong choice, and you should be looking at a more mainstream distro.
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013, 18:26    Post subject: urxvt terminal emulator problems  

Here is an example of the whatis command from my Debian desktop:
Code:
`$ whatis grep
grep  (1)            - print lines matching a pattern

While it is useful, one can use:
Code:
grep --help

in Puppy and get much more information as bigpup mentioned. Also, as mikeb pointed out using the man command provides a lot of information.

So, I don't know what all the "fuss" is about so-to-speak... Wink I think it really comes down to user habits and preferences.

Further, about copy and paste: If one happens to have a very old mouse without a middle button, then one can press both left and right mouse keys simultaneously to accomplish the paste function.

Cheers,
Monsie

weevilpup

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2013, 17:13    Post subject:  

I agree with 6502coder that my comment in reply to Karl was not appropriate. That was me being impatient. Sorry Karl.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I've been operating in Ubuntu again like an old habit but will let you know how your suggestions work out for me.

Regards,
weevil
rockedge

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov 2013, 10:40    Post subject: urxvt help
Subject description: urxvt copy/paste

I am glad I was just looking over the forum and found this thread. I have used Puppy Linux for a few years now in various flavors. I run a super stable web server and a small business file server based on Lucid 5.2.8 and now UPUP 3.9.9.2 with great success. I have always wondered how to copy and paste to urxvt. I have read quite a bit and messed around but I must have missed how to do this simple thing. Now I know and it works....Thank you people!
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2013, 14:12    Post subject:  

beaverpup username would earn nicer responses ..

Not the guy to show the other cheek .

apropos and whatis are outside regular binary apps that reside as

/usr/bin/apropos
/usr/bin/whatis
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/man-db/filelist

Puppy-4 had regular man-1.6 pkg in the devx without whatis and apropos .

Emulgators are just wrapping windows that run !#/bin/sh inside and bash has no whatis internal function .

But that is a long story beginning with the Bing Bang ... over Adam and Eve ... to Minuteman ...
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2013, 23:32    Post subject: Re: urxvt terminal emulator problems  

Monsie wrote:
Further, about copy and paste: If one happens to have a very old mouse without a middle button, then one can press both left and right mouse keys simultaneously to accomplish the paste function.
Doesn't work for me. Pressing both mouse button triggers - as expected - the context menu. For pasting an urxvt selection into Geany I always have to install an additional "full-feature" mouse, but that's a bit annoying. Is there any way to map a X-selection-paste to a key?
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2013, 04:07    Post subject: Re: urxvt terminal emulator problems  

MochiMoppel wrote:
Monsie wrote:
Doesn't work for me. Pressing both mouse button triggers - as expected - the context menu. For pasting an urxvt selection into Geany I always have to install an additional "full-feature" mouse, but that's a bit annoying. Is there any way to map a X-selection-paste to a key?

I tested this again, because I was sure I had done this in the past. I switched to an old mouse with no middle button. At first, I couldn't get the copy & paste function to work either... Question then, I decided to log out of the session and log back in, and sure enough, it now works in both Geany and in the Terminal... Smile Otherwise, a re-boot should accomplish the same thing.

Further, the paste function can be changed in Geany within the Preferences if you want to set up a key combo such as: Ctrl + v

Monsie

npierce

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:22    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
Doesn't work for me. Pressing both mouse button triggers - as expected - the context menu.

If you are using an actual mouse -- well, not an actual mouse, I just mean a mouse rather than a touchpad -- you may need to configure the X server to support 3-button emulation in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

What output do you get for this command?:
Code:
grep -B1 -A8 'Identifier *"Mouse0"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you see these two commented-out lines:
Code:
   #Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
   #Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

you need to uncomment them, so they look like this:
Code:
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
   Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

If you'd rather not edit xorg.conf manually, you can achieve the same results by choosing Menu -> Setup -> Mouse/keyboard Wizard -> Choose type of mouse..., then ticking Middle button emulated on a 2-button mouse.

You will, of course, need to then restart the X server.

Also, you need to press the buttons fairly quickly to ensure that the contacts close almost simultaneously. That can take a bit of practice. If you find that it is hard to get them pressed simultaneously, you might improve things by adjusting the value for "Emulate3Timeout", although I've never tried that.
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: