FatdogArm Alpha4 - 1 November 2013 [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#76 Post by jamesbond »

Mercedes350se wrote:According to the geekbuying site it is a RK3188T.
Yes, my bad, it should be RK3188.
Oh dear! Never mind hopefully someone will come up with dual boot ubuntu eventually.
I think they already got Ubuntu running on it (google for picuntu rk3188).
OR: Effectively write off the MK908II and go the odroid route?
Well I can't tell you what to do; you will have to decide for yourself :D
EDIT: @jamesbond

The Feb issue of the emagazine on the odroid site describes dual booting ubuntu and android - If I go the odroid route would I be able to dual boot fatdog and android? Best of both worlds maybe.
There are so many models of Odroid. Some comes with built-in eMMC with Ubuntu in it; some has detachable eMMC. U2 (mine) and U3 (Mick's) have detachable eMMC; with them you can install Ubuntu on one eMMC and FatdogArm on another (it can also use regular SD Card, not only eMMC, though eMMC will have better performance). So yes, dual-booting this way is possible.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Mercedes350se

#77 Post by Mercedes350se »

jamesbond wrote:I think they already got Ubuntu running on it (google for picuntu rk3188).
It seems that Wifi doesn't work - a deal breaker for me.
I thought there might have been some sort of, um, philosophical discussion.
There are so many models of Odroid. Some comes with built-in eMMC with Ubuntu in it; some has detachable eMMC. U2 (mine) and U3 (Mick's) have detachable eMMC; with them you can install Ubuntu on one eMMC and FatdogArm on another (it can also use regular SD Card, not only eMMC, though eMMC will have better performance). So yes, dual-booting this way is possible.
odroid U3
not sure whether eMMC or SD card.

Note I have to have Wifi working in both OS.

I possibly misunderstood so I will have to re-read the article but I thought it was dual boot on the one "card".

pedro

#78 Post by pedro »

Mercedes350se wrote:
jamesbond wrote:I think they already got Ubuntu running on it (google for picuntu rk3188).
It seems that Wifi doesn't work - a deal breaker for me.
I thought a response along the lines of, "The odroid has these advantages ... "
odroid U3
not sure whether eMMC or SD card.

Note I have to have Wifi working in both OS.

I possibly misunderstood so I will have to re-read the article but I thought it was dual boot on the one "card".

This is my personal experience with these devices

RK3188 performance is very similar to Exynos 4412 (odroid U3) performance. There is no clear winner here. But the RK3188T chip is slower! You can read more about this here:

http://liliputing.com/2014/02/rockchip- ... e-one.html

Exynos 4412 has good Linux support. RK3188 on the other hand has poor Linux support. Lack of 2d/3d acceleration and poor wireless support are some of the problems.

I have one mk908 and one odroid U2. My android experience on both is very good, maybe slightly better with the mk908 because there are some great custom roms made for it.

If you're looking for linux go for the odroid, it's the best choice.

There are are some threads about dual boot support in the same card on the odroid forums but i don't really know if it's possible or not

Mercedes350se

#79 Post by Mercedes350se »

pedro wrote:This is my personal experience with these devices

RK3188 performance is very similar to Exynos 4412 (odroid U3) performance. There is no clear winner here. But the RK3188T chip is slower! You can read more about this here:

You are correct. The RK3188T in the MK908II is only 1.4GHZ.
Exynos 4412 has good Linux support. RK3188 on the other hand has poor Linux support. Lack of 2d/3d acceleration and poor wireless support are some of the problems.
Hence my comment above.
I have one mk908 and one odroid U2. My android experience on both is very good, maybe slightly better with the mk908 because there are some great custom roms made for it.
Which ROMS are they. I may use the MK908II as an Android box - time will tell.

There are are some threads about dual boot support in the same card on the odroid forums but i don't really know if it's possible or not
It would seem, given that I really like "puppy" that the odroid U3 will be the way to go. Then Android dual boot would be the cream on the cake.

Incidentally the article is actually in the January issue of the emagazine and states, "It is the user's choice where the client root filesystems are physically located on a partition on the same drive as the host file system, on a different drive, or even on an image file that acts as another drive". I assume from this that the Ubuntu install they refer to is actually on the SD card.

I also assume that Fatdog is the same as other puppies, in that it will run from inside a directory, then all that needs to be done is modify the boot file in Android to allow a choice?

pedro

#80 Post by pedro »

Mercedes350se wrote:
pedro wrote:This is my personal experience with these devices

You are correct. The RK3188T in the MK908II is only 1.4GHZ.
Hence my comment above.
Which ROMS are they. I may use the MK908II as an Android box - time will tell.

It would seem, given that I really like "puppy" that the odroid U3 will be the way to go. Then Android dual boot would be the cream on the cake.

Incidentally the article is actually in the January issue of the emagazine and states, "It is the user's choice where the client root filesystems are physically located on a partition on the same drive as the host file system, on a different drive, or even on an image file that acts as another drive". I assume from this that the Ubuntu install they refer to is actually on the SD card.

I also assume that Fatdog is the same as other puppies, in that it will run from inside a directory, then all that needs to be done is modify the boot file in Android to allow a choice?
A good place to find roms for rk3188 devices is freaktab.com.

Mercedes350se

#81 Post by Mercedes350se »

Thank you. I lurk there quite regularly now!

jamesbond

#82 Post by jamesbond »

Mercedes350se wrote:It would seem, given that I really like "puppy" that the odroid U3 will be the way to go. Then Android dual boot would be the cream on the cake.
Sorry, I misread your earlier post. You want to dual-boot Android and FatdogArm (instead of Ubuntu/FatdogArm, which is easy). Read on.
The technique outlined in the magazine is called "chroot"-ing; it has been used to run Debian on rooted Android phones since before the dawn of time (ok, may be not that long, but you know what I mean :lol: ). I've even written one article about it myself on my wiki here (for running Slacko within Fatdog64 - but in terms of concept they are the same thing).

It presumes that you already have an image of the client filesystem (last paragraph on page 16). You could get FatdogArm's image by extracting FatdogArm SFS into an image file.
Yes, FatdogArm runs similar to other puppies. Yes, it will run from inside a directory. But no, the technique in the magazine *does not* involve "modifying the boot file" in Android - it explains what to do to run Linux stuff *within* Android; after Android is fully booted. You can do a lot of stuff that way but you *can't run graphical programs* (except if you do certain tricks; and all these tricks are slow).

If you really want to boot FatdogArm on its own (instead of running *within* Android); then you will need to use a different kernel (FatdogArm's kernel). You can't use Android's kernel as FatdogArm requires a few things that isn't there on the Android kernel (aufs, for example).

And while in theory you *can* "modify the boot file (you mean the bootloader configuration - it isn't a file to begin with) to allow a choice" - it is not easy nor practical. Firstly, the configuration isn't a file - it is stored in a certain sectors inside the SD card. Secondly, the bootloader's output isn't visible unless you use the uart serial cable. There is a workaround, I have written a tool to workaround both problems, but the thing is it *does not always work* (it works on Mele/Cubie2, doesn't work on XOs, haven't tested on Odroid). Even if the tool does work, it requires you to boot into FatdogArm kernel first - so you will need to know the boot parameters to boot Android kernel so that the system can chainload from FatdogArm to Android.

It is possible, but it is quite a tall order. You would save a lot of time by using two SD cards :) (or one eMMC and SD Card, I'm under the impression that the U2/U3 will always boot from eMMC first if both are present; and so keep you default OS in eMMC and your alternative OS in the SD card --- take out the eMMC when you want to boot from SD Card).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Mercedes350se

#83 Post by Mercedes350se »

jamesbond wrote:If you really want to boot FatdogArm on its own (instead of running *within* Android); then you will need to use a different kernel (FatdogArm's kernel). You can't use Android's kernel as FatdogArm requires a few things that isn't there on the Android kernel (aufs, for example).
There would be no point in running a "not complete" FatdogArm.
You would save a lot of time by using two SD cards :) (or one eMMC and SD Card, I'm under the impression that the U2/U3 will always boot from eMMC first if both are present; and so keep you default OS in eMMC and your alternative OS in the SD card --- take out the eMMC when you want to boot from SD Card).
Thank you.

Mercedes350se

#84 Post by Mercedes350se »

jamesbond wrote:You could get FatdogArm's image by extracting FatdogArm SFS into an image file.
How?

EDIT: Even If I knew how I still would not be able to do what I want .

Mercedes350se

Re: ODROID U3

#85 Post by Mercedes350se »

can8v wrote: I got out the Samsung Class 10 16GB Micro SD I bought just for this purpose
I saw this: (Ignore the reference to 8GB)

"Not all devices support microSDHC 8GB cards. Please contact your device manufacturer for details. To ensure compatibility, look for the microSDHC logo on the product or packaging of your new phone or PDA."

Anyone able to define exactly which card(s) work on the odroid u3?

jamesbond

#86 Post by jamesbond »

Mercedes350se wrote:
jamesbond wrote:You could get FatdogArm's image by extracting FatdogArm SFS into an image file.
How?

Code: Select all

head -c 2G /dev/zero > file.img
mkfs.ext2 file.img
mount -o loop file.img /mnt/data
unsquashfs -f -d /mnt/data fd-arm.sfs
umount /mnt/data
That's the general idea, not the exact instructions. YMMV.

EDIT: FatdogArm Beta1 is released here.