how to type path into roxie file manager?

Booting, installing, newbie
john55

how to type path into roxie file manager?

#1 Post by john55 »

When I go to roxie file manager I have to click icons to get to the location I want. Is there any way to directly type the path I want? It would be useful if the path appeared under the blue task bar at the top of the roxie file manager everytime you were at a location (like you can do in windows)

Is this possible?

MochiMoppel

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

Type '/' ( a forward slash), then enter your path into the Go to box that opens at the botton.

BTW: It's ROX, not Roxie :wink:

john55

#3 Post by john55 »

Thanks Mochi you are a star. One other thing how do I stop ROX from constantly resizing the window whenever I browse to a new location?

MochiMoppel

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

Right click > Options > Filer windows > Never automatically resize

Recommended reading: ROX-Filer User Manual

john55

#5 Post by john55 »

Thanks for your instructions and the link. I now have this setup the way I want it but do you know if it is possible to set the default size of the window? At the moment windows open in ROX at 330 x 167. I know I can drag the edges to resize to whatever I want but is it possible to have it open at a custom default size? Is there a facility to remember the previous size that I dragged with window to?

MochiMoppel

#6 Post by MochiMoppel »

Good question. Window sizes are never right and I'm constantly moving and resizing ... one of the things I hate about ROX. Maybe someone knows, but unfortunately not me.

john55

#7 Post by john55 »

MochiMoppel wrote:Good question. Window sizes are never right and I'm constantly moving and resizing ... one of the things I hate about ROX. Maybe someone knows, but unfortunately not me.
Thanks for all your help. If anyone knows the answer to this I would be very interested.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Best compromise I get is

filer windows-> display -> icon size ->default size = automatic
with resizing enabled... it helps to reduce window size jumping as you browse.

Pet hate is it often resizes but only shows a few icons so have to double click or scoll down.

Unfortunately it does not respond to the gtk geometry parameter which is normally the way to set a window size.

Plan B..... try a different file manager... theres a mini thunar floating around, or xfe or something else

mike

don570

#9 Post by don570 »

Middle mouse double click in empty space in rox window will resize it.

amigo

#10 Post by amigo »

I also use this:
Right click > Options > Filer windows > Never automatically resize
and then use the 'Window size limit' slider to set the size you want. It lets you set a percent instead of the x,y geometry. I use '66'.
When you double-click in the a filer window background the window will return to this size. Otherwsie you can stretch them or make them smaller.

If you want new windows (opened from another window) to open at the same size as the exisiting one, you can try checking:
Right click > Options > Display > 'Inherit options from source window'