Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 20:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Community Edition anyone interested?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 39 of 42 [621 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 Next
jpeps

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013, 13:51    Post subject:  

wanderer wrote:

also the ce project can (and probably should) take a while to mature i dont see any rush

wanderer

CE project?
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013, 15:55    Post subject:  

just my opinion on the ce project

i am presently running 214x9 and 217 on
win 98 win xp win 7 and win 8 machines
runs great on all of them

shouldn't we look at making ce run on as many machines as possible
rather than only the newest

i use puppy as an alternative to windows
for both my old as well as my new machines

thoughts

wanderer
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013, 17:40    Post subject: Too many choices may be Pup's underlying problem  

Hi wanderer and All,

The real problem in deciding on a Community Edition, and Puppy in general, may be that "Puppy" enables too many choices. And while I agree with wanderer that a CE should take a while to mature, I disagree that there is no reason to rush, if by rush one means begin by moving it beyond a general discussion to a project we can start working on, fleshing out, testing. A month or more ago there were people primed and ready begin working. Wait long enough and that enthusiasm will evaporate.
Too many choices. It is easy to get lost in the many possibilities Puppy offers for development. I think I've made my interest clear. I think we should be trying to develop an up-to-date version of Racy, one on which Chrome & clones, and other or later applications requiring glibc 2.17 or beyond will run. But that may either be impossible, or require so much preliminary work that it may delay beginning a community edition for the foreseeable future.
Wanderer prefers to base the project on pUPnGo. Technosaurus thinks it possible, but goingnuts doesn't think it a good idea. And while the 4 series and earlier run well on wanderer's computers, they don't on my 3 year old quad-core 4 Gb machine. To boot pUPnGo at all, I've had to place it at the root of a Ext4 partition, as it won't boot from a folder. It is possible that placing it in a folder on a Fat32 might work. See the discussion here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90820 and, in particular, keef's post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=744964#744964. I don't think sacrificing either Grub4dos, or being able to run a Pup from a folder on an Ext4 partition is a good starting point for a Pup we want to call a Community Edition. Nor do I think it should be something that looks and runs as if it was twelve years old.
Iguleder has suggested basing it on slacko or wheezy. Is it time to set up a set up a questionaire and take a vote?

mikesLr
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013, 19:27    Post subject:  

thanks mikeslr for keeping the faith
i read your post, i'm glad you know so much

allow me to be so bold as to start the voting

my vote is pupngo merged with 214 to begin
214 works great on 98 xp 7 and 8
and has a fantastic browser/media player combo

my second vote is anything we can get started on immediately

the beauty of pupngo is that if the 214 module doesn't work for you, we can add the stuff (kernal gtk glib) as a module that will make ce work on your machine or do what you want it to do

in my opinion pupngo (and in many ways 214) is cutting edge so we would end up with a ce we could be proud of

i have already started the pupngo 214 merge, but i have very limited skills, so i am slow. However we can post the isos and people with deeper understanding (like you mikeslr) can help and we can start immediately

oh by the way if anyone wants to post an iso or whatever on the ce repository pm me and i will pm you the stuff to access it

wanderer
goingnuts

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 02:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
Wanderer prefers to base the project on pUPnGo. Technosaurus thinks it possible, but goingnuts doesn't think it a good idea. And while the 4 series and earlier run well on wanderer's computers, they don't on my 3 year old quad-core 4 Gb machine. To boot pUPnGo at all, I've had to place it at the root of a Ext4 partition, as it won't boot from a folder.
I don't remember to have published any thoughts pro/contra pUPnGo in this context...but I might be wrong though...
The boot from ext4 (or any other basic shortcomings) might be addressed - best way to get attention is in the pUPnGO-thread - I will have a look at it - thanks.
Ghost Dog

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 03:01    Post subject:  

I suggest this as the community edition "dream team" -

Micko as Project Lead
Pemasu as Lead Developer
With contributions from everyone else

This whole thread has been a waste of time. Nobody cares about Wanderer's vision of Puppy, and this project is dead in the water.

saintless

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 03:31    Post subject:  

Hi, Wanderer,

No good deed goes unpunished unfortunately ...
My only advice to you is to start new thread with your vision of this new puppy. Name it CE or what you like but start what you feel is right and makes you happy to work on. I'm sure you will find more people to help you.
Democracy doesn't work well. Don't waste your time waiting for miracle.

Best regards, Toni

Ghost Dog

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 04:07    Post subject:  

Iguleder could have the title "Head of R&D and Experimental Technologies".

Lobster could resume his role as PR man.

Simargl as Package Management Lead Dev.

We could have an "In-House Applications Team" featuring Zigbert and others.

Be nice to have Playdayz in some sort of role as Facilitator.

The guys from Fatdog are qualified to take over the whole project themselves also.

But wouldn't it be nice if all of those I mentioned worked together to make a traditional puppy?

darry1966

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 04:50    Post subject:  

Ghost Dog wrote:
Iguleder could have the title "Head of R&D and Experimental Technologies".

Lobster could resume his role as PR man.

"Simargl as Package Management Lead Dev. "

Agree with you on most of the above but Simargl ?????????? - with the way he trolled may be he should have been PR man.
amigo

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 08:12    Post subject:  

I'll chip in as the Traditional Spoilsport -no wait, I'm already doing that! Perhaps I could be considered for the post of Director of Humbug, or something similar....
Keef

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 09:20    Post subject:  

amigo

Shouldn't you be that bloke off 'The Fast Show', who kept saying "You don't want to do it like that!"?

Not the best job title in the world, but satisfying in its own way.
amigo

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:30    Post subject:  

'The Fast Show' does not compute here, Will Smith.
sszindian

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 13:03    Post subject: Puppy-CE  

My opinion!

Creating a CE edition of puppy linux.

What base to use... I test a lot of puppy's and have for the past several years now. I look for things probably not many testers do, first off
(1) Ease-of-use for new (and experienced) users - And that means not a lot of initial problems that can't easily be fixed if necessary!
(2) Display, Display, Display - Clarity of graphics and pictures, coloration of graphics and pictures and 'types' (.jpg .png. .gif etc.) In this area, there are many that are 'good' and a few 'close' to being perfect .
(3) Programs... what's available from the repo PLUS what other's work from a variety of other repo's without installation problems.
(4) How much RAM is utilized at idle and during operation and the temperature of the CPU and how fast the 'fan' runs at idle and at various program operations.
(5) Response of various programs especially videos in Mplayer... does it 'Buffer' a lot trying to keep up to the display or is it smooth and synchronized with audio and video.

Of course there are other things I test in a distro but these are the first and most important - at least for me.

All my testing is done on 3 computers -
(A) Dell 3000 with intel pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz graphics.
(B) HP (P3 equiv) with AMD graphics
(C) IBM Thinkpad T22 with intel graphics.

My personal findings over hundreds and hundreds of tests keep pointing to ONE program that I believe would be the best basis for a CE build and that would be 'RACY.'

In fact... what did BK eventually wind up using for his new Quirky-6 build... 'T2' and I wouldn't be afraid to bet if one really looks close at the inner-code you will find a lot of RACY in there. Barry has many years of experience building puppy's I'm sure he selected very carefully what to use for Quirky-6.

Anyway... the latest Racy-5.5 with Kernel 3.0.66 (i686) is a very nice running program and is one of my favorites as it handles everything I mentioned above very well.

There was also a Racy-5.4.91 where BK has the Kernel 3.8.0 built in that could provide a good base for a Puppy-CE. I am just starting to 'play' with this one, probably a few bugs but I would think most are fixable.

Understand... 'Just My Thoughts' but this would be my choice if I were building a Puppy-CE!

>>>---Indian------>

jpeps

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 17:23    Post subject: Re: Puppy-CE  

sszindian wrote:

Of course there are other things I test in a distro but these are the first and most important - at least for me.

Here's a radical idea...choose the project that most closely matches your hardware in addition to how you use the computer. A project that attempts to run everything always loses efficiency.
tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2013, 20:13    Post subject: Re: Puppy-CE  

jpeps wrote:
sszindian wrote:

Here's a radical idea...choose the project that most closely matches your hardware in addition to how you use the computer. A project that attempts to run everything always loses efficiency.

Hmm, but that means it would be very difficult to produce a "One Size Fits All" OS.
Page 39 of 42 [621 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: