Problems running Puppy 571 PAE (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
g2k

Problems running Puppy 571 PAE (Solved)

#1 Post by g2k »

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forums here and new to puppy linux as an OS. I've been using puppy 4.2 for 4 years but only as a boot/repair tool for everyones favorite OS: M$ windows...lol

*****SPECS*****
ibm iNTELLISTATION M PRO: 3.2gHZ p4, 3gb RAM, Nvidia geforce gt 620 graphics card.

TWIN 1366x768 monitors 1 on straight VGA port 1 on DVI port with use of VGA to DVI adapter. M$ Windows XP, Linuxlite v1.0.6 installed.

NOTE: this current setup was able to run windows 7 with full aero effects while webcamming and youtubing with no problem (in case it matters??)

I decided to run puppy on my desktop pc since it needs PAE, and 5.7.1 seems like it's new enough to work well on my system. To my horror it was/is a nightmare.

Grub2 wont detect a full or frugal install>no problem use grub4dos. System boots then freezes when it tries to load optical devices. No problem use vesa driver to get to a working desktop (with improper resolution).

Download nvidia 304.60-k3.9.11.pet, it installs fine. Run xorgwizard(as it says to) and the new driver doesn't work...AT ALL.

OK, delete xorg.conf and rename xorg.conf.vesa.g2k to xorg.conf and reboot, re-run xwizard and choose vesa driver>choose closest resolution> testx...FAIL.

Server exits with error code 1 (check /var....Xorg.0.log. OK, reboot drop to a command line, cd into /var whatever find Xorg.0.log....no way to read it from command line. -could be my knowledge of the command line though...

If I repeat this process 2 or 3 times I sometimes boot to a desktop but my mouse is frozen (normal $12.00 logitech wireless optical mouse).

I've had to delete and re-install 7 times and cannot get a usable system.

I researched this thread:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405

But to no avail as I need a devx package and I don't see one on the supplied links in the thread, and the vendor file I see doesn't seem to match up to the examples used in that thread.

If anyone can recommend a solution (including a slightly older version of puppy that has a PAE kernel and can run nvidia drivers without me having to become a software engineer to do it, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you all in advance for any/all help with this, as I'm at my wits end.
Last edited by g2k on Mon 04 Nov 2013, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Try Slacko 5.6 pae
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... puppy-5.6/
Release notes
http://slacko.01micko.com/notes.html

After booting into Slacko, use the menu->Setup->Video Upgrade Wizard to get options for video graphics drivers.

Use Grub4dos bootloader config to load the boot loader.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Just curious, why do you need PAE? Any old Puppy can use all of the 3 GB of RAM in your computer. What else is PAE good for?

g2k

#4 Post by g2k »

Flash wrote:Just curious, why do you need PAE? Any old Puppy can use all of the 3 GB of RAM in your computer. What else is PAE good for?
It's friggin ridiculous why I need PAE.

IBMs' use an odd type of RAM, it (basically) can't be mixed with any other type. When I decided to run Win7 I upgraded to (3) 1Gb sticks of RAM from bestbuy thats backward compatible to the timings/Mhz of my IBM RAM.

I found out that since the new RAM is not this "specific" IBM RAM then you can't use 3 out of the 4 RAM slots, you MUST use either 2 or 4. So...no problem I went and bought a fourth stick and it fired right up. I loaded Win7 just fine, then tried to load ubuntu 10.04 and it wouldn't load, puppy 4.2 wouldn't load, zorin OS 5, wouldn't load...WTH!!! NOTE: all these previous operating systems were loaded on this machine before the RAM upgrade at the SAME time.

I researched this and discovered that (this may not be exactly true but it works this way) the motherboard can only see upto 3Gb's of RAM, but a P4 processor IS a PAE enabled processor. If 4Gb's RAM are installed then the linux OS tries to address to that 4th Gb, and can't, thus causing the installers to crash, ACPI be damned! With a PAE enabled kernel I still can't use that 4th Gb but the system will install fine and run fine.

If i use a 64bit OS it will install fine and then fall on it's face as it is a 32bit architecture. ALL PAE linux OSs' that I have tried, install fine and work to a degree, and ALL non PAE linux flavors crash at booting the live CD right at the point of installing the initial RAM disk. Gotta love IBM...lol

g2k

#5 Post by g2k »

OK, I tried slacko 5.6 as suggested.

It faults at "loading optical devices" just like precise5.7.1 does.

At least with 5.7.1 there a "black screen recovery" option. When the install locks up nothing can be done except press/hold power button until forced shutdown occurs.

If I'm going to have problems like this either way I'd prefer to stick with 5.7.1, I like the look of it better. But at this point my FIRST goal is trying to get a flavor of puppy on this machine with proper graphics driver.

g2k

#6 Post by g2k »

Boot puppy from5.7.1PAE disk and let it fail to load desktop.

Press and hold power button until machine shuts down, then reboot.

Puppy will automatically allow you to move past boot hang issue, and bring you to the desktop. Set: keyboard layout/timezone/and select vesa driver...it will prompt you to reboot. When you reboot make a non-encrypted save file.

On next boot you will have desktop environment with wrong resolution. Setup timezone and wireless.

Don't waste your time with Puppy Package Manager; It's completely useless to help you in any capacity. NONE of the stuff you need is available on ANY of the archives connected to puppy precise 5.7.1!

Use Seamonkey to find nvidia 319.32-k3.9.11.pet. Or contact me via the forums and I'll see if I can get it to you.

Download and install the above nvidia driver, reboot when told to and choose Nvidia driver/resolution/test/return to desktop.

If you stop here you *might* be alright, if you foolishly run nvidia settings as I did and you choose xinerama (for dual monitors), you will lose sound on next boot.

On next boot turn off xinerama and reboot, then once back to desktop: run multi soundcard wizard and choose your card.

Then run alsa wizard and and let it work its magic.

Reboot, if you still have sound and wallpaper on both monitors then you're good to go...HOWEVER...

Before you try to play any kind of audio/video file, goto the preferences of your preferred A/V software and set them to the proper settings for your card and VOL. control.

NOTE: in my case sound card= intel ich6 and VOL.control= PCM

g2k

#7 Post by g2k »

After a simple reboot, precise571 lost its ability to connect to the internet. After some searching it was discovered that the necessary modules were missing.

I replaced the wireless folders (wpa_supplicant and something else whose name I forget) with a backup I had made and rebooted.

This worked OK on reboot until the next reboot, then wireless was gone again.

This same behavior has now started to appear on my laptop running precise571 retro.

Puppy linux 5.7.1 is junk. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH IT.

Maybe in a year this beta OS will be a little better, as for right now it can't even retain files on the HDD. It looses them/deletes them.

Puppy 5.7.1 is just another example of beta software that's being pawned off on linux newbies as a top shelf product. The THOUSANDS of pages on this site alone, concerning "various issues" should be proof enough.

I am leaving this thread marked as solved so that other poor saps won't have to waste 3 days of their time trying junk software.

If you're a puppy can do no wrong "fan boi" don't bother leaving a reply for me, as I wont return to this thread. For me the problem will remain solved, I'll use another distro that isn't junk.

p310don

#8 Post by p310don »

Regardless whether OP g2k reads or replies I feel the need to post.

I see this attitude a lot, in my offline world, and here.

He admits he has some oddball hardware stuff going on, but it is still the fault of Puppy, or the product the person buys in my shop, for example. And, therefore, nobody should bother with it, because it didn't work for him.

This attitude pisses me off. The problem probably isn't what you are blaming it on, but it is much easier to blame something else that you're not responsible for.

If OP reads this, I'd suggest you look into a firmware upgrade to help with the issues with your hardware.

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

p310don :

Agree with you mate.

I fixed 2 horrid Win 7 computers this week.

Strange how easy Puppy booted on these evil doers.

Ho! hum.....>> g2k >>just another happy camper eh!

Chris.

chapchap70

#10 Post by chapchap70 »

He's too busy in the theist/atheist thread :roll: