How to remote in to Puppy from Windows?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhecht

How to remote in to Puppy from Windows?

#1 Post by jhecht »

Hi all - back again with a problem that others may also have. I'm a computer tech, and when someone comes to me with an elderly Windows computer that's dripping viruses, and they have zero money, my frequent solution is a wipe-and-load-up of Puppy Linux.

Almost all of my poverty-stricken users love Puppy - but that immediately creates a new problem for me. How do I remote in to their computers to help them, or fix problems? When running Win-to-Win, I use Teamviewer or Crossloop, but I've not yet been able to get either to work with Puppy. :(

I'm sure there's a way to do this, or another method of screen-sharing that would work, but I'm too noob to know what it is, or how to implement it. Can someone please help me?

As a test case, my main biz computer is Win 7, and I have a reloaded client computer here with Slacko Puppy 5.6.0 on it. Works great! Now how do I gain remote control of my new little dog? I don't care atm, about controlling a Win computer from a Puppy 'puter, so that should make things a bit easier.

Thanks in advance for your help! Here's to an ever-expanding Puppian community. :)
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey john

I have used teamviewer (teamviewer-5.0.8888.sfs) to sort my folks pc's without trouble

HTH

:)

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

This post may be of interest. Tigervnc is working well for me.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jhecht

#4 Post by jhecht »

ally wrote:hey john
I have used teamviewer (teamviewer-5.0.8888.sfs) to sort my folks pc's without trouble
HTH:)
Did you do so in the configuration I need - Windows controlling Puppy? And if so, how did you get TV to install on Puppy? I tried that before posting and was not able to get it working. Do you have a URL for the correct version of TV? Thanks!

jhecht

#5 Post by jhecht »

01micko wrote:This post may be of interest. Tigervnc is working well for me.
Clicked on your link, which took me to 'Micko's Blog' - lot's of fun stuff, but I didn't see anything about Tigervnc - did I miss something? I'll do a Google on Tigervnc itself, and see what I find. Thanks!

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

jhecht wrote:
Clicked on your link, which took me to 'Micko's Blog' - lot's of fun stuff, but I didn't see anything about Tigervnc - did I miss something? I'll do a Google on Tigervnc itself, and see what I find. Thanks!
hehe, glad you found my blog interesting however click the "post" link (which in this post I have made promminent).

Tigervnc is both server and client. Of course Win7 would need client vnc software at least.

jhecht

#7 Post by jhecht »

01micko wrote:
hehe, glad you found my blog interesting however click the "post" link (which in this post I have made prominent).

Tigervnc is both server and client. Of course Win7 would need client vnc software at least.
So I should install Tigervnc on both the Puppy and Win 7 computers? Sorry for all the basic questions, but I have never used Tigervnc or Tightvnc, and would love to get it right the first time. (grin)

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Tigervnc would be fine at both ends, any VNC client software will do on Win7 though I do see a tigervnc version for windows at the sourceforge site.

The puppy machines (your customers') will need to run the vnc server.

The simplest way is to run the server is :

Code: Select all

vncpasswd
which sets up a password in ~/.vnc/passwd (or /root/.vnc/password)

Then its as simple as running this to start the server:

x0vncserver PasswordFile=/root/.vnc/passwd
The service starts with all the defaults. You can of course fine tune it, just type

x0vncserver --help
for more options.

I gather you know how to forward a service to the router. IIRC vnc uses port 5900.(or thereabouts).

At the client end, just start the tigervnc gui from menu, fill out the address, type in the password and you'll connect.

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

I've always used Teamviewer...I like version 6.

In fact it was made for me in 24 hours.....
we are pretty slow in Puppy ha! ha!

teamviewer wine.pet

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/e3aa28b8

Untick >>Use our download manager and get recommended downloads.

::::::::::

And 01micko helped me out a lot.....

"
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:28 pm

There you go Chris... and I didn't lift a finger :lol:"

Actually >> 01micko suggestion might be good...
>>>" Tigervnc is working well for me. "

He's a good bloke, and pretty smart....
even if he's never helped me out...evil.

Gooday micko.

::::::::::

Teamviewer 8 is around as well.

If the Windows installation is that bad you can boot the Hiren's or
Falcon rescue cds from their computer...and if those cds can pick up
the lan or wireless you can fix them that way.

They also have Ccleaner...easily stop the startups.

The Falcon also has ERD Commander.

Roll back updates.
Uninstall programs.

""""""""

Also Teamviewer 8 here....read all the posts.
Some had probs....but mostly fixed.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=15

Chris.

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Actually, there is another tool that is free and useful for getting a WYSISYG desktop to login/manage another PC on your LAN. Further, there is NO need to install anything on the MACs or Windows PCs to get a Windows desktop just as if you were sitting in front of it at its console.

Control a Microsoft PC from another PC over the LAN
One of them is 14 years old from Microsoft that many miss in what it does. Here's a summary.
  1. To begin, you need to determine the PC you want to control's IP address.
  2. On Win2K/WinXP/Vista/... find the Remote Administration feature that comes with your system.
  3. Start it.
  4. Go to another PC on your LAN and start its Remote Desktop Client software: All Wins have one, MACs is a free download, Linux has Remote Desktop client software and it ships, OOTB, with PUPs (at least some of them).
  5. On the Remote Desktop app's screen, enter the IP address of the PC you started Remote Administration on.
  6. Connect and work as if you were sitting at that remote PC.
That's all there is to Windows control any Microsoft PC, from another PC on your LAN. You get both video, audio, printing and USB connects from the Microsoft PC over your connection.

Control a Linux PC from another PC over the LAN
Now for LInux. There is a attempt at providing a Linux ability to do the same as what Microsoft provide. Further, there is NO need to install anything on the MACs or Windows PCs to get a Linux "X" desktop just as if you were sitting at its console.
  1. To begin, you need to determine the PC you want to control's IP address.
  2. Some distros have this built-in, others you have to use their Package Managers to get "XRDP". Or you can install it from the author's site. His site is here!
  3. Start it on the Linux where you installed XRDP via its Package manager.
  4. Go to another PC on your LAN and start its Remote Desktop Client software: All Wins have one, MACs is a free download, Linux has Remote Desktop and it ship with PUPs (at least some of them).
  5. On the Remote Desktop app's screen, enter the IP address of the PC you started Remote Administration on.
  6. Connect and work as if you were sitting at that remote PC.
That's all there is to X-Desktop control any Linux PC, from another PC on your LAN.

The author of XRDP asks that if it works in a distro you setup, to let him know and he will post. This would give additional exposure to PUPs if someone could make a PET/SFS to work in Puppy Linux.

I dont have the skills necessary to build. But, can test and report findings should one be produced in Puppyland.
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

goingnuts

#11 Post by goingnuts »

This package - pup_xrdp_starter.pet - contains a cut down build of xrdp-0.7 (present git source).
It is configured to only give a shared desktop via x11vnc.
x11vnc and rdesktop is included as well.

Install pet. If reboot here - xrdp & x11vnc should start automatic.
Else go to /etc/init.d and run "./xrdp_pup start". Go to /root/Startup and run "./x11vnc_start".

After that you should be able to log into your running desktop from another computer - either use rdesktop or the windows desktop sharing tools.

To test from same computer as installed run "./rdesktop your.ip.add.here".
To find your ip use command "./ifconfig".
Login screen showed below - password hard-coded to woofwoof - change in /root/Startup/x11vnc_start if needed.
Compiled in P412 and not tested in other versions. x11vnc & rdesktop should work in most versions but xrdp is dynamic linked so no guaranty in other versions of Puppy.
Attachments
xrpd_login.png
(26.19 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times

gcmartin

You can sit elsewhere and use your PUPPY, made simple!

#12 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @GoingNuts

This adds a facet to Puppy LInux where one can use ANY Linux/MAC/Windows PC and, over the LAN, get a desktop on a PUP as if they were sitting right in front of it AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, not have to install anything on the PC you are using to do this.

This brings the RDP protocol into Puppy Linux. And a user probably will be able to control this by enabling or disabling it at will .

This bulls-eye hits the thread's title.

Wow. This is a great step for those who ...

jhecht

#13 Post by jhecht »

MANY thanks to all who have contributed to this thread! I know the info helped me, I think it will help others as well.

I got Team Viewer installed on the Slacko Puppy (5.6.0) computer, and can now remote into it from my Windows 'puter perfectly! That solves my immediate problem, as the end user this new dog is going to knows bupkis about Linux, and I expect to have to help him frequently.

I'll study the (many) other options explained here as time permits.

The one remaining bug us that I can remote in to the Puppy 'puter from my Win 'puter, using TV - BUT - I can't remote in to my Win 'puter from the Puppy one. Not a problem atm, but it would be great to know how/why.

This is with TV 5.0.8206 beta on Puppy, and TV 8.0.22298 on Win.

toronado

LogMeIn

#14 Post by toronado »

I can't remote in to my Win 'puter from the Puppy one.
Another player in this space is LogMeIn.

The LogMeIn server software that you download gets installed on the computer you're controlling.

The client runs right in a web browser.

So as long as the browser can run Java, I would think you should be able to use the client in Linux. Haven't tested it controlling a Windows PC, but I tested it in Puppy Linux controlling a Mac and it worked fine.

ally

#15 Post by ally »

yes I have been able to remote from windows to puppy and vice versa

google found:

http://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxPuppeee

:)

01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

Another option, probably not viable though as not everyone likes google-chrome, is the google-chrome Chrome Remote Desktop extension. I've used that before too.

gcmartin

Easy setup - access your PUP in full-screen mode over theLAN

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Has anyone noticed the effort and the instructions for Remote access operations where the ONLY PC touched on the LAN is the Puppy PC you want to access in its full-screen desktop mode.

That means nothing to do on any other PC on the LAN. Just open the RDP client (built-in to most PCs) and hop onto your Puppy PC somewhere else in the house.

You be the judge of its simplicity. Post your replies of your findings there.

toronado

OP not on LAN

#18 Post by toronado »

The LAN solutions mentioned are nice, but don't seem to apply to the OP's use scenario.

To me, the main advantage solutions like LogMeIn have is that they work without router configuration.

For example, I can assist my Dad remotely using LogMeIn both when he is home on his LAN, or away from home on business and he is using a completely different access point for his WiFi.

gcmartin

Re: OP not on LAN

#19 Post by gcmartin »

toronado wrote:The LAN solutions mentioned are nice, but don't seem to apply to the OP's use scenario.

To me, the main advantage solutions like LogMeIn have is that they work without router configuration.

For example, I can assist my Dad remotely using LogMeIn both when he is home on his LAN, or away from home on business and he is using a completely different access point for his WiFi.
Agreed!

Logmein has an excellent reputation and works extremely well via a browser when INSTALLED on both systems. Both persons MUST be in front of their PCs to use it. And, both PCs are hooked up via that Internet with Logmein's servers in the Internet as a Middleman.

@GoingNuts offering is primarily an excellent LAN solution where one can log into his PUP on the LAN without ONLY the need to setup the server subsystem on the PUP. Then from any LAN machine one can access the PUP without installing with the OOTB RDP client at anytime you deem. And ALL Windows, as the title suggests, has RDP.

Both work but serve different purposes.