External HDD read-only when using Slacko

Booting, installing, newbie
Kicalaf

Thanks guys for helping :D

#21 Post by Kicalaf »

Thanks all for helping me. I've succeeded to fix my external HDD using slacko 5.5.

Because it was not possible to bring my external on my work, and to fix there, after few days I've decided to try on slacko at my home, no matter I will lose the files.

I've opened gparted and I've decided to create partition table no matter risk of losing data.

Gparted informed me that some problems were doing this, but I clicked on ignore. After that I could make two partitions ntfs, where the first one I decided to be 357 GB and other 1,02 TB. Than I copied all the data from 357 GB to other parition, and than deleted the first partition and formated it.

I've made both partitions ntfs, and now everything is ok. I can write and read on both of them, and no error seems to be appearing. I am happy so much.

After using so long my usb as a media for saving slackosave, now I can save slackosave on the first external partition easily. ( I am booting slacko from CD, and saving on external HDD by the way ).
Attachments
fixed external HDD.png
I am happy :D
(33.33 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Karl Godt

#22 Post by Karl Godt »

Nice to hear !

Only the brave survive !

:)

Edit : BTW where is the internal hdd ? Is sda the external ? Or did you accidentally reformatted the wrong internal drive ?

mikeb

#23 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the feedback and glad you fixed it without data loss.

Perhaps it just needed a good rewrite of the partition table and the bad sectors were not as they seem :) .
I have recovered fully using test disk in the past and all it does is work out what the partition table should be and rewrites it.

mike

Kicalaf

#24 Post by Kicalaf »

Karl Godt wrote:Nice to hear !

Only the brave survive !

:)
:D Thanks Karl for supporting :D

I really don't know why puppy slacko don't recognize my internal HDD on the laptop, but I've already given up on him. After having problems with using windows XP, I couldn't fix internal HDD in any way, and that's why I've started using puppy slacko full time :D

But, untill now slacko couldn't see it, while I was using usb as a back up media for slackosave, but now ( as you could see on my other thread where I've been asking for installing slacko on external partition ), now I could see in the beginning of lifting slacko, choices to select between slacko, windows and third option.

I will try maybe soon to click in those 10 seconds, on windows, just to see what will happen. ;)

Hi Mike, I am definitely convinced that gparted rewrited bad sectors etc, and that this was all what he needed to do. Thanks man :D