Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 02:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Why is this strange IP address in Network connections?
Page 1 of 15 [214 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
Edwardo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 04:24    Post subject:  Why is this strange IP address in Network connections?
Subject description: Mystery solved, but the thread will not die!

Puppy 5.5 sealed Live CD.

After boot up, before loading Firefox, on opening Network Connections for 2 months there appeared the IP address 162.209.15.246 (Rackspace Cloud Servers)

It then changed to 216.69.252.101 (Kelly Internet), been there for the last 4 months and never goes away.

What is it doing there? I did not extend an invitation.

Any ideas?
ally

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 06:15    Post subject:  

the kelly internet returns your IP address, no idea on the rest.....

Smile
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 10:05    Post subject:  

Might be the one pinged to keep the wifi network alive.

I just ping th erouter... works ok too

mike
Barkin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 11:24    Post subject: Re: Why is this strange IP address in Network connections?  

Edwardo wrote:
It then changed to 216.69.252.101

dawhois.com wrote:
216.69.252.101 - Geo Information
IP Address 216.69.252.101
Host delta.colo.mhtx.net
Location US US, United States
City San Antonio, TX 78218
Organization Nugget Enterprises
http://dawhois.com/

=> http://www.nuggetinc.com [ creates systems to remotely control ones home, remotely view surveillance cameras , etc ]

If you're not using nuggetinc.com services , it's more likely a bollox-up by them rather than an attempt to spy on you.
Edwardo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 23:15    Post subject:  

No, not using Kelly Internet. My location is Bangkok, theirs is San Antonio. Would that make a difference?
perdido

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan 2014, 01:20    Post subject: Re: Why is this strange IP address in Network connections?  

Edwardo wrote:
Puppy 5.5 sealed Live CD.

After boot up, before loading Firefox, on opening Network Connections for 2 months there appeared the IP address 162.209.15.246 (Rackspace Cloud Servers)

It then changed to 216.69.252.101 (Kelly Internet), been there for the last 4 months and never goes away.

What is it doing there? I did not extend an invitation.

Any ideas?

I am running Puppy Precise 5.7.1 and was curious about 216.69.252.101 when I saw it in the Network Configuration info listed under Statistics.

It is one of your programs in puppy finding out what your ip is.
That ip resolves to http://icanhazip.com/ That website only tells you or a program what the ip of your computer is.

For example, I did a text search for icanhazip in my system files and found it in 3 system files.

/usr/local/firewallstate/ipwget (this is my firewall tray icon) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57725
/usr/local/Pup-Sysinfo/func (this is Pup-Sysinfo) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73101
/usr/sbin/ipinfo (this is IP info - when you look at networks by clicking the Network Configuration icon in the tray [right-bottom] it checks your ip at icanhazip.com so you see it under the statistics page)

So the connection to 216.69.252.101 does go away but when you check Network Configuration is goes to that website to check your ip - so it just appears to always be connected.

Hope this helps Smile

Last edited by perdido on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 00:25; edited 1 time in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan 2014, 04:08    Post subject: Re: Why is this strange IP address in Network connections?  

Edwardo wrote:
Can you explain where you find these addresses please? I would like to see what is shown on my system too. thx
L18L

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan 2014, 06:39    Post subject:  

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80081

Happy New Year
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:07    Post subject:  

To assist those for the evidence of what covered in the thread. do:
  1. Right-click on the Network Taskbar entry
  2. Click "Network Information" (some have Network Diagnostics)
  3. Click far tight tab "Statistics"
  4. About half-way down you will see it. It is unusually in a "TIME_WAIT" and changes periodically to "FIN_WAITI"
Unless otherwise explained why that port is open, I would consider this a tracker that is there for some reason. And/Or some REQUIRED (???) application uses it.

Here to help

P.S. This thread may be a good time-place to identify the ports on that page and what their function is especially for all/most new PUPs that we install. If its not done here, the forum should have a Firewall thread which shares the ports in the firewall which are there for desktop application use. This would go a long way in assisting the determination whether a port is a safe one or not.

greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jan 2014, 14:39    Post subject: Re: Why is this strange IP address in Network connections?  

Barkin wrote:
If you're not using nuggetinc.com services , it's more likely a bollox-up by them rather than an attempt to spy on you.
Nugget enterprises shows up in my connections too (on Upup3992). I can't see how it can be a 'bollux-up' by them. They surely can't be making accidental connections to puppies of various flavours. Must be something that is either deliberate action (by whom I do not know) or else built in to a variety of puppies for some reason (deliberate or otherwise).
Smithy

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 13:54    Post subject:  

Is it a leftover from tests or a new thing?
Deleted the user/sbin/ ipinfo and ipmove, but it still shows up.
I think gamers need it don't they, to keep their connection alive? But Linux heads?
Anyways, a nice clear explanation would be helpful. Wink
8-bit

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 02:38    Post subject:  

When loggged on to this forum, try checking the network status information more than once.
I did and had connections disappear and reappear each time I did another check.
Also, most all of the connections had an extension of ":80".
That information is interesting, but how does one find out what each connection means?
As a for instance, two of them show up as ESTABLISHED now and as an example two show as 173.94.33.129:80 and 173.94.33.130:80.

Another shows as 216.69.252.100:80 FIN_WAIT1.

This is all interesting. But as to using it to try to determine if one's connection is being hacked, I doubt it.
And trying to find who those IP addresses trace to is beyond my means currently.

Of course, it does not help that SeaMonkey still seems to be crashing on me to the extent of a computer lockup sometimes and others with a popup saying SeaMonkey has crashed.
And this seems to extend to use of Firefox and Opera too.
Has something changed with the internet that is effecting all browsers?
Do you keep any personal information/data on your PC that you would be concerned about? I do not. So those hackers can hack away as long as they do not mess with my ability to use the net!
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 07:04    Post subject:  

Hmm crashing browsers... only bad javascript might induce that but usually symptomatic of something else...Ii would say gtk problems but that does not apply to opera. Ram space?.... flash is isolated so another to disregard.

Any clues from running from command line?

Recent browsers use video acceleration ...a definate possibility for instability (I mean we need web browsers to be more intensive than Video players now??!!)...usually some config buried to disable...one test would be to run using Xvesa.

I ping the router as otherwise it drops wifi after 10 minutes...not really a gaming thing

mike
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 19:40    Post subject:  

Well I am far too thick to work out what's what with this stuff, took me a Greengeek post to realise that the ipinfo is a txt file thing, not the other ipinfo thing. So the option is there if required.

And the icanzip dude is happy to provide the ping if people need it.

Tell you what would be nice, that pulse sound from a submarine sonar that passes through your soundcard when pings are on the go.

Maybe in a deluxe tin foil hat puppy.
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 21:41    Post subject:  

Pinging the router does prevent outbreaks of network paranoia...one line does the trick...

mike
Page 1 of 15 [214 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: