Ethernet config saved on multisession CD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
sgull

Ethernet config saved on multisession CD?

#1 Post by sgull »

I have puppy (precise571) newly installed on a CDRW with burned with multisession, and have been saving to the CD disc on each shutdown. If I was to try using the puppy disc on a pc with a different cable internet wired (not wifi) DSL connection, would puppy have retained the original dhcp configuration/connection and then not able to connect because of the conflict? Or should it just automatically connect without issue?

Because I'm saving each session, data/settings etc to CDRW each time, I'm concerned that after saving on one pc with one particular connection, if I try to connect with that same CD on another pc with a different connection that it will want to use that one, from the previous save files on the disc.

I realize I should always be able to hit the connect button, but the ppoe input is never something I know, for the ethernet connection(s).

If there's a wired connection available should the puppy automatically connect to it without any input necessary, even if the last time it was connected it was on a different wired connection and all previous sessions have been saved to the CD(RW) disc?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

To be honest, I'm not sure what will happen in every case, and it also depends on which Puppy you're talking about. I have two different computers and when I boot a multisession DVD created in one in the other, Puppy goes through the display resolution wizard again, if I remember right.

Why don't you just try it and let us know what happens? It's free, takes hardly any time and no effort, and won't hurt anything if it doesn't work.

By the way, I've been running Puppy from a multisession DVD for at least 6 years. I don't save every time I shut down, but only if I've changed something about Puppy and want to keep the change. This makes it very easy to try out new things. If they don't work out, just don't save that session. Stuff that doesn't have anything directly to do with Puppy, I save in a USB flash drive that I leave plugged in but only mount if I want to use it. There's no need to shut down through the menu if you're not going to save the session. If I'm not going to save a session, I just shut off the power to the computer.

sgull

#3 Post by sgull »

Thanks for the helpful reply Flash. Yes, I'll just go ahead and try it and post back. Not much to lose that's for sure. As I mentioned I'm using Precise571. Also considering giving Raring a go. I don't happen to have a DVDRW rom but do have a CDRW rom, thus doing my multisession experimenting with CDRW.

sgull

#4 Post by sgull »

Flash wrote:Why don't you just try it and let us know what happens?
Progress report: I tried the Precise 5.7.1 multisession disc today in the other pc here at my workplace that has of course a completely different internet connection than at home. It automatigically found the connection with no issue and connected with no need for me to do anything.
I'm not clear at this point whether if I save before shutdown it will retain the connection configuration here at my workplace and then when I take the disc back home and try it on my pc there it will want to try to use that, or not. I didn't make any changes today at the workplace , so no particular reason to save, but I still wonder if I do save it'll retain that connection configuration as just mentioned.

sgull

#5 Post by sgull »

sgull wrote:I'm not clear at this point whether if I save before shutdown it will retain the connection configuration here at my workplace and then when I take the disc back home and try it on my pc there it will want to try to use that, or not. I didn't make any changes today at the workplace , so no particular reason to save, but I still wonder if I do save it'll retain that connection configuration as just mentioned.
Update: I saved at shutdown at work, brought the disc home and tried it at the pc at home. It automagically connected, no issue, I didn't need to do anything. Cool. No worries. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Fairly amazing. Did either the home or work Ethernet connection require a password?

If your connection at home required a password and you saved that configuration to the CD, then booted the CD at work and saved that configuration, then Puppy figured out which configuration to use when you booted it again at home, that's a level of competence bordering on freaky.

sgull

#7 Post by sgull »

Flash wrote:Did either the home or work Ethernet connection require a password?
No neither connection requires me to enter any password.