UEFI Drove Me Home

Using applications, configuring, problems
zaivala

UEFI Drove Me Home

#1 Post by zaivala »

OK, I got a new ASUS X550CA. Only took me a couple months to truly hate Windows 8. Talked to ASUS about what to do to modify the new BIOS Setup and get around UEFI. Got it to boot off CD/DVD drive, so then I could load LinuxMint Olivia as a LiveDisk... but even though I did a full installation, I could not get Setup back to look at the hard drive for GRUB. After a couple weeks with ASUS tech support, and they have totally ignored me the past 10 days, I gave up.

So I have a system which can write to my hard drive but not boot from it. And I want to use Linux. Well, I have this LuPu disk... nope, the X550CA did not like what X did to it. Had my honey burn me a PrePu disk.

Works like a charm. Can save my stuff, can run my old pal. Have to remember how to get some of my stuff loaded (I can search the forum, the links should still be there).

Now if I could just remember my password on Pidgin to get in the continuing discussions...

I'm sure it is some simple thing to get Setup to load Mint, but why? This created the perfect problem where Puppy was the best solution.

Woof! Woof!

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

that is a bit of effort. I just ran with Fatdog64 it boots with uefi so not a hard way to get started. Did spend most of the weekend upgrading my win8 to 8.1. currently decrapifing all the added crap. before shrinking the bloated partion down to under 20Gs so Fatdog64 can make me a copy for backup on a bluray data disc. Granded MS did back tbe restore methods much better with Win8. But nothing beats the speed of directly writing to/from disk without being asks to answer questions.

zaivala

#3 Post by zaivala »

Oh, believe me, it was much more frustrating than it sounds Mint SHOULD boot... if I can find out how to set my Setup to look for GRUB on the hard disk. ASUS has not been much help.

But the worst part was when I tried to check out the current version of Ubuntu. At that point, I had Mint on sda6 and Windows 8.1 was still on the C: drive and booting. Ubuntu, without my permission, wiped my entire hard drive and formatted it ext4. That was when I said, OK, might as well do a full installation of Mint... but still no luck.

Because I have a complete ext4 hard disk and am unable to boot from my hard drive, Precise Puppy is the perfect solution, (I tried my old LuPu disks first, but my system did not like the old version of X.)

Moss

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

Had trouble getting Mint to boot also, finally gave up. Puppy`s so easy to setup...

It makes other O.S.s look like the true pains in the arse they really are.

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

sunburnt wrote:Had trouble getting Mint to boot also, finally gave up. Puppy`s so easy to setup...

It makes other O.S.s look like the true pains in the arse they really are.
I wonder what all the extra bloat is hiding. If a mini-sized linux can be fully functional what excuse does the big boy linux distros have.

zaivala

#6 Post by zaivala »

I have an answer to all this. Windows under UEFI no longer uses MBR to store its bootup information, and instead is using BPT. Linuxes want an MBR to store GRUB on. To get Mint or other Linuxes to load you have to reformat the disk to MBR.

This wipes your entire hard disk... so no thanks, I'll stick with Puppy.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

zaivala wrote:I have an answer to all this. Windows under UEFI no longer uses MBR to store its bootup information, and instead is using BPT. Linuxes want an MBR to store GRUB on. To get Mint or other Linuxes to load you have to reformat the disk to MBR.

This wipes your entire hard disk... so no thanks, I'll stick with Puppy.
No wonder it is so difficult. I have done a boycott of all UEFI laptops
until we have easy to use solutions. I don't want to reformat because
one day my Android phone demand that I use Windows to update it.

The bad thing about doing boycott is that these UEFI Ns Win 8.1
are the only cheap ones around here locally. Maybe our inner city
has some computer lover selling similar but I doubt that. Rumor should spread.

Is that not ironic? One have to use Ms Windows to update Google Android?
Unless you buy a Google Chrome computer or a ASUS Chrome?
But they maybe gave up on it. I only see ads for the Google version now.
Both of these are supposed to have all data on the "Cloud" which
I don't like. Okay the ASUS does have it's own HDD but the Chrome does not. Most likely both these are both using ARM so not easily compatible
with Puppy program I use?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ThoriumBlvd

#8 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I'm divorced from Windows after 98-2nd. I won't even touch anything MS-admin related, just an ugly horrible mess. Google chrome wants to #-me, no thanks to that also. And theres a lot of "lensing" going on at ubuntu. That appears to be forwarding info to certain giga-large companies. I'm happy here also, after Xandros-eee finally got internet-outdated.
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

L18L

#9 Post by L18L »

Ted Dog wrote:... I just ran with Fatdog64 it boots with uefi so not a hard way to get started.
+1
... and it boots without UEFI, too.

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

Yes me gave up on Ms Win too after win 8 got dominating
in our shops so I have one Win 7 and that one works okay.

What about this version of Intel chips Any clue on if hopeless
or would work good using FatDog 64? it is a 64bit machine

Sony Vaio I would love to buy such now on
Friday the 29 of Novembr when I am in Big City.
Cost only 2990 SEK which is 454.77 USD

Very cheap for 14" Intel Pentium B987Dual core 4GB RAM mem
and 500GB Intel Graphics HDMI Ms Win 8 64 bit

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

do they have black friday sales in countries that do not celebrate final Thursday of November as Thanksgiving? When I was raised in Germany I think the Avent calender was the semi-offical start of Christmas shopping.
Sadly those candy filled calendars are pricier in the USA, :wink: and are not as good as freshly made European ones.

Les Kerf

#12 Post by Les Kerf »

I have had some success booting Precise Puppy from a USB drive on an iMac, and the iMac uses some form of UEFI.

I have not yet had the opportunity to try this method on a UEFI pc. My method is posted on the How To section of this forum, I do not know how to link to it or I would do so.

If someone could try the method as I described it, perhaps it would work?
Les

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

iMac most likely don't have the UEFI don't they have just EFI

Sure I can be wrong but one would have heard about
the UEFI on iMacc solutions so think them are not that strict?
But I only guess. I am a bit of a anti-Apple person

Sky Aisling

UEFI Drove Me Home

#14 Post by Sky Aisling »

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Sky much appreciated you gave us these links.

Seems difficult for perennial noobs like me that even forget
commands others always remember how to.

I have now postponed buying new hardware for many months since
the Win8 and UEFI became the norm in our retails for cheap computers.

Not that I really need a new computer at all. I have three Netbooks
and one laptop to play with and most likely 3 working Desktops
and use one of the Desktop now daily until it will break the HD
which they usually do in about two years of daily 10 hours usage
at my place. A dusty environ.

So I will use what I have which all of them work incredibly good with Puppy.

Sky Aisling

UEFI Drove Me Home

#16 Post by Sky Aisling »

Yes, I hear you nooby, I have a 23 yr old friend who is looking to purchase a new computer. She's asking me all kinds of tech questions that go past me quickly.

I'm just so grateful to have this pile of old, scruffy laptops that run fine with Puppy. I can communicate with friends, use the web to educate myself about anything I take a notion to, check the weather forecast and swap good laughs with friends. That's what I've paired my IT needs down to.
But, I'm 73, maybe that's the 50 year difference factor. Do you think? :lol:

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

50 years is a bid difference so that might be
why she act like that :)

I visited one of our biggest reseller and asked
about ASUS Transformer computer. It does have Intel CPU
so should be able to do standard Linux but it does have UEFI
and the Seller just guess. He gave no evidence for that it would
accept to get it's UEFI shut off which could help when booting.

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

Perhaps in the long run some government agencies (like the NSA) will require motherboard manufacturers to use an unlockable UEFI so that computers cannot be used for any 'anti-government' purposes. Or worse - require that any PC using the internet has a UEFI/bios that is government approved. If you have no official UEFI passcode then you get no internet access.

Just like it has been made illegal for Internet Service Providers to allow the end user to conduct private communications, in the end it may be illegal for any end user to connect to the internet without approved PC code.

The internet is now increasingly controlled and could easily be restricted in such a manner.

I have watched with interest as the traditional point-to-point telephone systems (usually copper wire based) have been superceeded by digital IP style lines and this has brought an interesting change - you used to be able to send a fax direct from your own machine to the other person's fax machine and the line between the two was purely for your own use - it was a direct connection. These days such lines are disappearing in "favour" of IP lines which fax machines cannot easily handle because they are effectively "party lines" rather than the "dedicated lines" faxes were designed for. Even our phone lines are progressively being turned into 'party' lines instead of the direct lines we used to have..

Along with that change has come the ability for the line provider to immediately switch off the line if it detects a fax communication (or any other form of communication for that matter...). They can do this so that they charge extra for faxing, or so that they can prevent faxing altogether.

This level of control over data packets could easily lead to internet censoring if used in conjunction with something like UEFI.

I wonder how long it will be before there is a tight link between UEFI and the MAC address (and other features) of the network card in the PC. We could easily see a situation in 5 years time where the internet is only available to devices that carry an 'aproved authorisation code' burnt into their UEFI and stamped into every data packet.

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

Just found an interesting link regarding selecting hardware specifically suitable for running Linux. There is a paragraph about a third of the way down concerning UEFI
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/72 ... c-hardware

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Greengeek thanks for the link indeed.
re your concern
Or worse - require that any PC using the internet has a UEFI/bios
that is government approved. If you have no official UEFI passcode
then you get no internet access.
I share that concern. I usually dismiss all kinds of "conspiracy"
but what you write is no such overly paranoic view at all.

I should have made a bookmark or a copy of the text and saved
it but have to rely on my faulty memory.

I read in our idg.se which has similar in other countries
maybe named IDG News in US.

They retold about a European or an US initiative
that you only got access to internet if you had
the software that was approved of by the the authorities.

Usually that meant Win 7 at that time when I read it
and it meant you should have an anti virus program
them listed and many other such they saw as necessary
or else the ISP where by binding law forbidden to allow you
access to internet.

So if I get it you would have to show you had Microsoft first
and the right install with anti-virus and only then you could use
Linux to get out on the internet. I mean come on them totally unrealistic
but that was what they wanted to become law. How far that process
has gone Idon't know.

I see it as a step by step to total absolute control of the citizen
in the name of The war against T****r them wanted to protect
all of us being active on internet.

Linux them seemed to only exist as Servers and not as regular OS
for ordinary citizens .

So it had the same attitude as what you also fear. It is a likely scenario indeed.Sooner or later they do it but slow and step by step so no opposition big enough will build up. A kind of adaptation us getting used to
that they know what is best for all of us :) Daddy State knows what is best!