Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#136 Post by rerwin »

otropogo,
I am concerned that you seem to be the only person having big trouble with 5.2.8.6 but continue on with your workaround attempts and speculation, appearing to be trashing this effort without offering to work toward some kind of resolution. Nooby's expression of new-found doubt is the result of that approach. This thread is intended to help new users get up to speed with lupu/sulu, as well as to work toward solutions. I hope you will remain involved here so I can try to sort this out.

First, We need to be sure you are starting with a valid pupsave for lupu528. Remember that pupsaves started before 528 are either not compatible or require some tricky massaging to make them compatible. Your mention of seamonkey for 525 suggests you started with 525 or earlier.

In case you are "serious" about migrating to lupu or sulu 5.2.8.6 and want my help, I can send you a link to someplace in my mediafire account where you could upload your pupsave file for me to work with. The problems seem too complex for us to resolve by mere conversation. I am eager to improve my understanding of the flash media boot issues. If you know about recent improvements in that area or any puppies that work as you expect in that regard, please point them out.

Please reconsider. Thank you for raising the issues; let's work on them.
Richard

otropogo

#137 Post by otropogo »

rerwin wrote:otropogo,
I am concerned that you seem to be the only person having big trouble with 5.2.8.6 but continue on with your workaround attempts and speculation, appearing to be trashing this effort without offering to work toward some kind of resolution. Nooby's expression of new-found doubt is the result of that approach. This thread is intended to help new users get up to speed with lupu/sulu, as well as to work toward solutions. I hope you will remain involved here so I can try to sort this out.

First, We need to be sure you are starting with a valid pupsave for lupu528. Remember that pupsaves started before 528 are either not compatible or require some tricky massaging to make them compatible. Your mention of seamonkey for 525 suggests you started with 525 or earlier.

In case you are "serious" about migrating to lupu or sulu 5.2.8.6 and want my help, I can send you a link to someplace in my mediafire account where you could upload your pupsave file for me to work with. The problems seem too complex for us to resolve by mere conversation. I am eager to improve my understanding of the flash media boot issues. If you know about recent improvements in that area or any puppies that work as you expect in that regard, please point them out.

Please reconsider. Thank you for raising the issues; let's work on them.
Richard
I'm sorry Richard, I just don't have the time right now to devote to intensive Puppy troubleshooting. I can tell you that I haven't had any problems with my 2fs files until I'd been using them for many months under lupuplus-005.

The Lucid-525 pet was for Seamonkey composer and html editor. I have no idea how it got there, as I've never installed it or used it. And yet, it's listed twice. There are also other programs listed for "Lucid 52". I think there are basic issues with the packet manager. I'm not trying to disparage your work, simply reporting what I experienced and trying to offer an explanation.

I spent a few hours on 528.6, and that was enough to realize that it can't provide my minimum needs at this point. When we had one main Puppy distro, this wasn't necessarily a disaster, because people like tempestuous would often step in and cobble up a pet to fill a need.

Do you have someone to provide a pet for xfprot for 5.28.6, or UFRaw and Rawstudio? And then there's the matter of USB3.0 support an support for SDXC flash cards of various denominations. Even last year's Knoppix 7.2 doesn't have this last bit working. I need an operating system and software that will make the real world tasks I have easier and faster to do, not one that consumes my time in troubleshooting.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Roy

#138 Post by Roy »

Just a quick note from an older Pentium4 user (with the latest iso version)....

Starting with a video directory that has a videoTS and audioTS subdirectory, selecting the actual videoTS file with Pdvdsrab (burn function) gives me an iso that has ONLY the videoTS directory on it (no audioTS). Disc will not play.

Starting with a (the same) video directory that has a videoTS and audioTS subdirectory, selecting the audioTS and videoTS parent directory with Pdvdsrab (burn function) gives me an iso that has a videoTS main directory containing both videoTS and audioTS directories within it. Disc will not load or play.

Files were converted with FFconvert from youtube flv's to mpg's and NTSC standard was used.

My other minor concern is the blank black screens when the X server is restarted. Were I not an experienced puppy user, I would probably have a major problem with this -- thinking my computer was "freezing" instead of waiting for an invisible input. Creation of save files are "blind", too.

Doesn't diminish my gracious affection for Puppy or Lucid, but wanted to let others know what I am experiencing on this end.

-Roy

rerwin

Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6 now essentially complete!

#139 Post by rerwin »

I have completed the uploading of all variants at the level lableled as "20140321". I do not expect further updates for many months, other than to update the "plus" and "libre" variants with LibreOffice 4.1.6, which is the final bugfix of the 4.1 series.

Because the "supers" use a 3.x kernel, which supports the new "xz" compression used by modern puppies, I encourage users to migrate to the lupusuper2 group, which uses the kernel from Precise Pup.

While the other "supers" may be needed for recent hardware, I believe that the lupusuper2s offer the full set of benefits while possibly avoiding the risk of (unknown-at-this-time) incompatibilities with later kernels. I provide the (plus and libre) variants with LibreOffice for lupusuper2. To migrate a pupsave file from the original lupu, simply change the file name prefix from "lupusave" to "sulusave", then boot it with lupusuper2 (or any of the other lupusupers).

If any incompatibilities are discovered due to the switch to lupusuper2, please report them in this thread, as I hope to focus on eventually resolving them.
Richard

slavvo67

#140 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Rerwin:

I downloaded both the new 3HD and the Super Lucid. Both seem to work fine with no stability issues (what makes the 5.28 so nice). I personally appreciate your work as Lucid and 3HD were really the distro's that made me a puppy lover!

That being said, they more reminded me as to how far along Puppy has come in a short period of time. Personally, while a nice reminder of the past, I can't see myself going back to use them on a regular basis except maybe if the need arises on an old machine where some of the newer puppies would not work. I usually boot up now to either Barry's Trusty Tahr or currently Fluxpup.

Please don't take this the wrong way! Love the old pups and I know you put a lot of time and effort into the updates. I just couldn't help thinking while waiting for the package manager to download... oh boy, this slow thing again?

Kindest regards,

Slavvo67

Smithy

#141 Post by Smithy »

The Luci range seemed to be a sweet spot for older single core cpus and tricky Radeons in my experience, coming straight up to the desktop without hassle. And flies on newer gear.

Could you post a list of your changes Rerwin if you get chance?

And maybe a few screenies.

I remember the alsa was a bit old on the original for some usb sound cards, possibly presonus/ emu/ rme.

majorfoo

#142 Post by majorfoo »

Smithy wrote:The Luci range seemed to be a sweet spot for older single core cpus and tricky Radeons in my experience, coming straight up to the desktop without hassle. And flies on newer gear.

Could you post a list of your changes Rerwin if you get chance?

And maybe a few screenies.

I remember the alsa was a bit old on the original for some usb sound cards, possibly presonus/ emu/ rme.
many or maybe all of the changes are posted at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=2355

hope this helps you

RetroTechGuy

#143 Post by RetroTechGuy »

otropogo wrote:I can tell you that I haven't had any problems with my 2fs files until I'd been using them for many months under lupuplus-005.
Are you running frugal?

Do you run a fsck on every boot?

Dating back to versions in the 4.xx, I started running fsck on every boot. The save files seem to slowly corrupt themselves...

On the kernel line (in menu.lst), I add:

Code: Select all

pfix=fsck
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Les Kerf

#144 Post by Les Kerf »

Thank you for providing the upgrades for Lucid Puppy. It has been my "go-to" Puppy since I learned about Puppy Linux a couple of years ago.

When we switched from an ethernet connection to a WiFi hotspot, I was lo longer able to connect my Lucid 528 to the internet, so had to use other versions for that purpose, but Lucid worked so well with LibreOffice and playing DVD's that I kept switching back and forth.

Enter Super Lucid (lupusuper2plus-5.2.8.6-4.1.5-k3.2.48-20140321.iso): now I can connect to WiFi no problem :D

I am using a "Poor Man's" frugal install; the Sfs files, initrd, vmlinuz, and the save file are all on the hard drive; I use a cd to boot (Win 7 is also on there).

This is an Acer Aspire 7741Z-4643 laptop with an Intel Pentium P6100 processor and 3 GB of RAM.

When I "upgraded", I simply deleted everything out of my Lucid folder except the save file, then copied in the new files, and re-named the save file to "sulusave".

Everthing worked fine except for two minor things:

1. I cannot shut down normally; clicking the shutdown menu gives no response whatsoever. I have to do the control/alt/backspace, then it shuts down saves the session just fine.

2. All of the icons in the lower right corner of the tray are gone. The desktop icons and drive icons are fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look to fix these (minor) problems?

Thanks for the help,
Les

dk60902

#145 Post by dk60902 »

I'm running 5.2.8.005. It's extending the life of this 10 yr old Presario laptop. I'm primarily a web browser. I don't game much or do any high powered computing. If I need to use an office suite, Google docs or Office Online does the trick. 5.2.8 is quite stable. I'm running the latest Firefox. The only issue with I had, and it's not necessarily a Puppy thing, is poor support of the Broadcom wifi card. Rather than tear my hair out getting it to work, I'm using a USB wifi dongle with a Realtek RTL8187 chipset that works out of the box with Puppy.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

rerwin

#146 Post by rerwin »

dk60902,
Thanks for joining this thread. Since it is only about my upgraded version, 5.2.8.6 (equivalent to a 528-006), why not give it a try? It has the latest upgrades of the Broadcom wifi support, which is significant thanks to the work of peebee.

You should be able to simply replace your initrd.gz, vmlinuz and lupu528.sfs files with the versions in the 5.2.8.6 pet (lupu, or lupumini if you use a zdrv sfs file), if you are using a frugal installation.
Richard

rerwin

#147 Post by rerwin »

Les Kerf wrote:Everything worked fine except for two minor things:

1. I cannot shut down normally; clicking the shutdown menu gives no response whatsoever. I have to do the control/alt/backspace, then it shuts down saves the session just fine.

2. All of the icons in the lower right corner of the tray are gone. The desktop icons and drive icons are fine.
My guess is that something in your pupsave file is interfering with those functions. I would first look in /var/log/messages, /tmp/xerrs.log and bootsysinit.log for clues; you could send them or their content to me in a PM. If nothing is obvious, I would run from the command line:
diff -r /initrd/pup_ro2 /initrd/pup_rw > /tmp/diff-ro2-rw.txt
and look for conflicts. But knowing what to look for is the trick. Most likely, files showing differences in their code would be suspects. It might be simpler to gzip and PM me the diff...txt file.
Richard

Les Kerf

#148 Post by Les Kerf »

I do believe it was something wrong with the save file. I read on another thread where someone had a similar problem, and it was suggested that they try doing a fsck upon bootup; I tried that with no effect, but then I tried the boot parameter of "puppy pfix=clean" and that solved both of my problems.

I am much obliged, and thank you so much for putting forth the effort to maintain Lucid Puppy.
Les

starhawk

#149 Post by starhawk »

Here, have an install report :)

Heavily Modified Neoware CA19 thin client
VIA Eden 400MHz CPU ("Esther" core, so VIA C7-based, rather than the older VIA C3...)
VIA CN700 chipset (incl graphics)
1gb DDR2 RAM (upgraded from IIRC 256mb)
4gb "Poor Man's SSD" (CompactFlash Card in IDE Adapter)
Added two USB ports to the back, removing the parallel port in the process
Replaced both internal heatsinks (CPU and northbridge) with active coolers
Busted and eventually replaced one of the original USB ports (on the front)
WiFi via external dongle (right now a Rosewill RNX-N600UBE)

I've loaded umpty-brajillion Pups on this thing trying to find *one* that was tolerably responsive. Just for whotsit and giggles I download and try a copy of Super LuPu 2, assuming that like every single other one, it'll either take ten minutes to boot and be super doober slow (ClassicPup top10), or it won't have a new enough glibc to let me run anything newer than dusty antiquity as far as eg browsers are concerned (anything older than Slacko 55) -- or, well, both at once, which is the category that most logically-worth-trying Pups (4xx-based almost everything) fall into. If they boot at all... (AnitaOS, which can't find its main SFS).

Boy was I wrong!

It's not, you know, lightning fast -- but I'll be danged if it's not pretty responsive, especially compared to basically every other Pup I've tried on this thing. Besides, given the hardware I'd be a pretty silly person indeed to expect speed of any kind...

Good work, rerwin, this one's a keeper :D

Just curious -- would I be able to run newer versions of Chrome/ium than the browser-installer would have one believe, say up through version 32? or would the glibc inside there be just a little too old for that?

rerwin

#150 Post by rerwin »

starhawk,
Thanks for your positive report.
starhawk wrote:Just curious -- would I be able to run newer versions of Chrome/ium than the browser-installer would have one believe, say up through version 32? or would the glibc inside there be just a little too old for that?
Although I have no experience with Chrome, if it is like SeaMonkey it may allow/recommend upgrading to the current version. You might try installing the latest version offered by QuickPet, running it and then letting it upgrade itself. Of course, don't try this with your main puppy until you have done it on a fresh pupsave environment, in case it doesn't work out.
Richard

ilanrab

528.6 is a GO, for me.

#151 Post by ilanrab »

To all those responsible for 5.2.8.6, thank you so much -- rerwin, you too, of course ;)
Although, for the past year to two I have been using my Android Google Nexus 10 tablet most of the time, I like my Dell Inspirion Mini Netbook quite a bit. The Dell has been running Puppy 5.2.5 for years. All efforts to run later Puppy versions yielded mixed results -- the biggest culprit was always sound handling. Therefore, I stayed with 5.2.5.

I installed 5.2.8.6, a week ago. It has been meeting 99% of my needs.
Good job!

Cheers,
ir
[b]ir[/b]

sheldonisaac

Sylpheed problem

#152 Post by sheldonisaac »

Hi, LuPu experts.
May I ask for help re the Sylpheed SFS from Shinobar?

Please look at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 956#773956

My problem is near the bottom of the page.

Does the GNUpg missing have anything to do with Sylpheed exiting when I delete a message

UPDATE:
Paste from the Sylpheed thread:
sh-4.1# /initrd/pup_ro4/usr/bin/sylpheed

(sylpheed:31820): Sylpheed-WARNING **: plugin.c:199: signal 'messageview-show' not found
/initrd/pup_ro4/usr/bin/sylpheed: symbol lookup error: /initrd/pup_ro4/usr/bin/sylpheed: undefined symbol: folder_item_is_trash
sh-4.1#.
watchdog replied:
:
It seems like your libraries are not compatible. Perhaps it's problem of lupu 528_006. It's odd because I realized that shino's sfs even works in latest slacko, too.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Pelo

upup 3.9.9 Lucid is slow

#153 Post by Pelo »

upup 3.9.9 Lucid is slow, slower then Lucid 3.0.25. However it's a clever process to get Lucid Puppy as a LTS.
I failed installing windows managers as E17, Echinus. Not really a problem. It was my first try.
Sometimes impossible to write on USB sdcxx. Unmount, mount again, then writing on it is ok. Strange.
Edit sfs in the menu should be a good idea too (utilities)... Well, i have the pet in my tool case.
Pfind : could anybody create a pretty icon for Pfind, poor Pfind, icon is so small that we cannot.... Find it on the desktop ! :)
Attachments
image-1.jpg
lupusuper is super !
(69.8 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

New Plus and Libre uploads

#154 Post by rerwin »

I have updated the Plus and Libre ISO files with the current versions of LibreOffice and Java Runtime. The separate SFS files for jre-1.7.0.55, LibreOffice 4.1.6 (the final version of LO 4.1) and LibreOffice 4.2.4 (the newest stable version) are available here (in Supplemental SFS Files):Those of you already using a frugal installation can add or update LibreOffice by adding the JRE file and one of the LibreOffice SFS files to your puppy installation, replacing any older versions of those files (and then installing them with the BootManager or the SFS Loader). The exception to this method, of course, is if you are using a Libre version of Lucid Pupu 5.2.8.6, in which case you would only replace the lupu_528.sfs file from the lupulibre ISO file or sulu_002.sfs from the lupusuper2libre ISO file.

Although I provide the final LO 4.1 release, I suspect most will want to migrate to LO 4.2. Simply replacing the appropriate SFS files should work without further adjustments. The residual files in directory /opt/libreoffice4.1 should cause no harm; that entire directory can be removed if desired.

The details of the improvements in 4.2 beyond 4.1 are given here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Rel ... .2_Changes

Links to all of the ISO files are in the first posting of this thread.
Richard

OscarTalks

#155 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Richard,

Not sure if you are planning to include any further upgrades or fixes in Lupu 5286 now, but here are a couple to consider if you are:-

firewallstate-2.5.1-i686.pet
Operational improvements and nice new icons in the tray.
More info:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=150

pup-advert-blocker-0.5b.pet
Important fix of Mvps block list.
Other fixes and enhancements.
More info:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0&start=51
Attachments
lupu-2upgrades.jpg
Firewallstate tray icon and advert blocker upgrades in 1 screenshot
(75.85 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times
Oscar in England